TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Subscribe
Quote: That said, imagine being told by your boss that you must thoroughly touch and feel someone's genitals or you'll be fired...the worst that generally would happen to us as passengers is not flying that day if we decline the "full" screening.
They are at will employees. TSOs were not drafted. No one is forcing them to work there. The fact that they remain employed at this point means they are part of the problem. I'm sorry, but if my boss told me that I now had to molest people as part of my job my resignation would be on their desk in minutes and my lawyer would be on the phone next.
Quote: I generally try to avoid shaming the individual screener, as in my experience most are even less thrilled than we are about the whole process. I had one guy who, when I told him that he was patting me down because his co-worker would not let me use the Precheck line as I was shepherding someone travelling with me through the elite line, even though my boarding pass clearly stated Precheck, causing me to use normal security and opt out, he was really pissed at his co-worker . That said, imagine being told by your boss that you must thoroughly touch and feel someone's genitals or you'll be fired...the worst that generally would happen to us as passengers is not flying that day if we decline the "full" screening. I don't envy someone who is coerced into committing sexual assault at threat of job loss. I don't have a lot of sympathy for most TSA employees, as most had a good idea of what they were getting themselves into, but I have a nonzero level of sympathy, barring the few who feel "a calling" and seem to feel they are the only thing preventing disaster. I sense that, for the majority, this is the best paying job they can find (logically, would you work at TSA frontline if you could do almost any other job? I'd rather be a plumber.). But with these changes, my level of sympathy is looking more and more to be asymptotically approaching zero...
I don't give a rats behind for the morale of TSA screeners. If they don't like what they have to do then they should move on. If something is wrong then don't do it.

I think the better question is; what kind of person would work in a place that requires such despicable acts of its employees?

TSA has spent Billions of Tax Dollars on Body Scanners of one sort or another and apparently they aren't worth the powder to blow them sky high. Shouldn't someone be asking TSA Leadership just why they bought these expensive devices if they can't be trusted to do a thorough screening?

Folks, unless you are OK with being sexually assaulted for no other reason than traveling freely in your country then you should be contacting your elected's and demanding an investigation.
Quote: TSA doesn't have a clue as to how many people have been traumatized by these sexual assaults - and that's exactly what they are. There are thousands of accounts of people, mostly women but many men aso, leaving checkpoints in tears, shaking, nauseous and now traumatized for life as a result of being sexually assaulted by TSA.
There is a good reason why TSA "doesn't have a clue". The sad but inescapable truth is that absolutely no one at TSA cares who is traumatized. From the top management all the way down to the low-level screener/<deleted>, not a single one of them has any meaningful concern for the inconvenience, delay, injuries or trauma they cause.
Quote: They are at will employees. TSOs were not drafted. No one is forcing them to work there. The fact that they remain employed at this point means they are part of the problem. I'm sorry, but if my boss told me that I now had to molest people as part of my job my resignation would be on their desk in minutes and my lawyer would be on the phone next.
Quote: I don't give a rats behind for the morale of TSA screeners. If they don't like what they have to do then they should move on. If something is wrong then don't do it.

I think the better question is; what kind of person would work in a place that requires such despicable acts of its employees?
Maybe I've just worked enough really ...... jobs in my life that I understand it better. Life isn't as simple as many would want to view it. Quitting a paycheck is tough when other people depend on you to put food on their plates. And, again, I note that I do assume many TSA employees aren't qualified for many other jobs; if they were, they would be taking them assuredly. There are few jobs that seem less appealing to me than TSO, if only because it seems totally monotonous.

But, as I noted, whatever sympathy I have is withering rapidly.

Quote: TSA has spent Billions of Tax Dollars on Body Scanners of one sort or another and apparently they aren't worth the powder to blow them sky high. Shouldn't someone be asking TSA Leadership just why they bought these expensive devices if they can't be trusted to do a thorough screening?

Folks, unless you are OK with being sexually assaulted for no other reason than traveling freely in your country then you should be contacting your elected's and demanding an investigation.
Most of the electeds in my area don't give a ...., they feel it is part of keeping Americans safe, and their districts are gerrymandered beyond belief to that it would be a waste of my time as I would be heavily outvoted. You can ask the lone Democratic representative of the six (SIX!!!) Congressional districts that have sliced and diced Austin up, Lloyd Doggett; he feels the same. And one of the reps who represents part of Austin is the House Chair of the Committee on Homeland Security.
Quote: There is a good reason why TSA "doesn't have a clue". The sad but inescapable truth is that absolutely no one at TSA cares who is traumatized. From the top management all the way down to the low-level screener/<deleted>, not a single one of them has any meaningful concern for the inconvenience, delay, injuries or trauma they cause.
TSA does not track how many pat downs they do. No tracking at all.
Quote: Maybe I've just worked enough really ...... jobs in my life that I understand it better. Life isn't as simple as many would want to view it. Quitting a paycheck is tough when other people depend on you to put food on their plates. And, again, I note that I do assume many TSA employees aren't qualified for many other jobs; if they were, they would be taking them assuredly. There are few jobs that seem less appealing to me than TSO, if only because it seems totally monotonous.

But, as I noted, whatever sympathy I have is withering rapidly.

Most of the electeds in my area don't give a ...., they feel it is part of keeping Americans safe, and their districts are gerrymandered beyond belief to that it would be a waste of my time as I would be heavily outvoted. And one of the reps who represents part of Austin is the House Chair of the Committee on Homeland Security.
All the more reason to register your concerns. One person may not make an impact but when those numbers start climbing some elected congressperson who wants to keep their seat will blink.

Submitting comments to your congresscritters may not help but would it hurt to do so?
Quote: All the more reason to register your concerns. One person may not make an impact but when those numbers start climbing some elected congressperson who wants to keep their seat will blink.

Submitting comments to your congresscritters may not help but would it hurt to do so?
I edited my post at the same time you responded: all of my possible Austin congresscritters are quite secure in their positions thanks to heavy gerrymandering. Ask the lone Democrat of the six, Lloyd Doggett.
Quote: Looks like TSA is trying to head complainers off at the pass:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...port-pat-downs
Notice that the Spokeshole used the term "abnormal." We should still call the cops if we believe it's illegal or an assault.
Quote: As I usually travel by myself, I plan on requesting a uniformed officer to witness any pat down I may receive going forward. I will also go down like a lightly tapped footballer begging the official for a penalty in stoppage time.

They've only succeeded in further lengthening the range for which I am willing to drive instead of fly.
I was thinking of taking a dive myself. The problem is that it hasn't happened to me for real in a very long time. I don't recall ever taking a complete dive but I remember doubling over and walking in circles while being completely debilitated for a few minutes. You wouldn't have the sweating and red face if you were faking it. As crazy as it sounds, I really need to practice the reaction and how to make it look real. At least initially, it shouldn't be too hard to win an Oscar in front of a swarm of people suffering from "cognitive burden."
Abnormal?
Given that this is all going on in the one country that is supposed to have some of the firmest Constitutional protections, with respect to privacy, this whole charade is "abnormal."
Aren't we due for a "Have you no shame? Have you no sense of decency?"
moment like we saw in the McCarthy Witch Hunt, or are politicians still afraid to confront the Wizards of Oz behind the Security Theater smoke screen?
Just left a message via phone for my US Representative (it's after "his" working hours -- sigh). Not expecting a reply but I will keep calling.
altabello likes this.
Wow...whoever at TSA wrote "lessens the cognitive burden" has trouble with the cognitive demands of being a spokeperson.
Quote: Wow...whoever at TSA wrote "lessens the cognitive burden" has trouble with the cognitive demands of being a spokeperson.
TSA had five types of pat downs, now one, because TSA screeners could not be relied upon to choose the correct screening method. <deleted>.
Quote: I edited my post at the same time you responded: all of my possible Austin congresscritters are quite secure in their positions thanks to heavy gerrymandering. Ask the lone Democrat of the six, Lloyd Doggett.
Your remark about jobs you've had made me remember. Hauled hay as a young teen, 1/2 penny a bale in Texas summer heat. In grade school washed dishes in the school cafeteria to earn a lunch. Was again washing dishes in a restaurant for gas money while in high school. Delivered papers, stocked shelves at a grocery store, and other such jobs growing up. Then I joined the Navy and cleaned heads for a while. I understand tough jobs but also always had one to this day.
Moderator's Note:
Please observe the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum guidelines.

The guidelines are listed in the forum's sticky thread:
Please Read: Important Information

Quote: Welcome to Travel Safety/Security’s Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum. While this forum permits discussion and civil debate of travel security policy, the FlyerTalk Guidelines & Rules still apply. The moderators will enforce a zero-tolerance policy against personal attacks – against a fellow FTer, TS/S posters in general, or TSA employees as a group. While we don't wish to turn away reflective criticism we do ask that participants refrain from posting behaviors that only serve to inflame or disrupt the forum. Derisive terms used to grossly generalize others such as A. S. S., smurf, goon, thug, Gestapo, Nazi, perv, perp, kettles, gropers, mouth-breathers and the like add no value to the forum and are not permitted.

Moderators may delete posts and move or close threads without notice. This notice may be considered your “warning”.

Appropriate topics include:
TSA, DHS, CBP, FAA, CATSA news (employee, organizational, political, procedural)
Criminal matters, Constitutional challenges
youtube videos
Activism and protest discussions
Generalized venting aka “Outrage of the Day”
Comparisons of countries' security procedures
Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator