Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Calgary seniors shocked at being fingerprinted, mug-shotted by U.S. border officials

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Calgary seniors shocked at being fingerprinted, mug-shotted by U.S. border officials

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus

Seems elderly Canadians catching connecting flights are coming under scrutiny in America.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...rder-officials

Calgary seniors Carl and Sandra Hannigan were looking forward to a stress-free flight home after a 10-day visit to Mexico.

But the two said they were stunned when U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials pulled them aside at the Salt Lake City International Airport to fingerprint and photograph them.
Is this accurate? I often connect through the U.S.A. and have never been fingerprinted.

CBP spokesman Jaime Ruiz said the practice is routine and sweeping.

“Collecting biometrics and photos of all foreign visitors arriving at U.S. international airports is standard operating procedure,” he stated.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Did it happen to include use of a UK/non-Canadian passport, as it sounds like at least one of them is from the UK?

Perhaps they are amongst the minority of Canadians who require an I-94 or require a waiver of admissibility to enter the US?

Those were the main exceptions where I recall Canadian citizens being asked to give fingerprints and photos as part of US-VISIT.

That said, I have also seen CBP try to get some US citizens with presented US passports to give their fingerprints when using staffed counters at US ports of entry. Sometimes it was claimed by CBP to be a joke, but I'm not all that sure about it being a joke.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Did it happen to include use of a UK/non-Canadian passport, as it sounds like at least one of them is from the UK?
Not according to the article and have been Canadian citizens for over 40 years.

After showing their boarding passes and Canadian passports, “we were told to put our hands on a green scanner, then they took facial photos,” said Carl Hannigan, 75, a Calgary veterinarian.
Perhaps they are amongst the minority of Canadians who require an I-94 or require a waiver of admissibility to enter the US?
Unlikely.

It didn’t sit well with the couple, who’d never experienced anything similar in previous trips through the U.S.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Badenoch

Unlikely.
Have been citizens of Canada for 40 years and elderly would seem to mean that they are/were citizens of at least one other country too. Where were they born? This would be indicated on the passport they used.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 7:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Have been citizens of Canada for 40 years and elderly would seem to mean that they are/were citizens of at least one other country too. Where were they born? This would be indicated on the passport they used.
The article notes they were born in the UK but used Canadian passports for the visit.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Badenoch

Unlikely.
The article does indeed state they used Canadian passports, but the article also indicates a UK connection before becoming a Canadian citizen. Perhaps a UK place of birth in the Canadian passport was one of the things that prompted this?

While it may be that they aren't part of the small minority of Canadians needing an I-94 or waiver of admissibility to enter the US, it is indeed unlikely. But even if they were, something doesn't add up if they were part of that minority and treated as an exception due to needing an I-94 or waiver of admissibility to enter the US.

Some people who have frequently traveled to/via the US are sometimes surprised to get by something new that didn't hit them before even if it was a possibility. It could be that the CBP employee was just pushing to see if they were really Canadians who frequently traveled the US and would seem surprised by the request for the fingerprints. It is something I've seen some CBP employees try to do to some US citizens whom they tried to treat as if foreigners -- including by using the word for "finger" in a foreign language with which the US citizen was suspected to know and asking for fingerprints and photos at the staffed counter.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:43 am

Just to clarify, do US citizens have a right to avoid providing fingerprints if asked? What happens if they decline?

Also, from the article:

"But in an email response, CBP spokesman Jaime Ruiz said the practice is routine and sweeping.

“Collecting biometrics and photos of all foreign visitors arriving at U.S. international airports is standard operating procedure,” he stated."

Has this been standard operating procedure for Canadians as well or were they previously excluded? Is there a specific regulation stating what the practice should be?

Last edited by guflyer; Feb 23, 2017 at 10:48 am Reason: I thought of an additional question to ask.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by guflyer
Just to clarify, do US citizens have a right to avoid providing fingerprints if asked? What happens if they decline?

Also, from the article:

"But in an email response, CBP spokesman Jaime Ruiz said the practice is routine and sweeping.

“Collecting biometrics and photos of all foreign visitors arriving at U.S. international airports is standard operating procedure,” he stated."

Has this been standard operating procedure for Canadians as well or were they previously excluded? Is there a specific regulation stating what the practice should be?

I am Canadian, British by birth, I travel to the US on my Canadian passport quite often and I have never been fingerprinted.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
I am Canadian, British by birth, I travel to the US on my Canadian passport quite often and I have never been fingerprinted.
Same. Only time I'm fingerprinted is when using Global entry (obviously). Sounds like the CBP officer didn't know that Canadians don't need an i94 or need to provide biometrics.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 4:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
It's likely the CBP officer forgot that Canadian passport holders are exempt from fingerprinting/photo taking (except for denials/secondary referrals which doesn't seem to be the case) since CBP has access to CPIC and therefore does not need biometrics to conduct an primary inspection. In return, Americans are not subjected to being fingerprinted at primary either (with CBSA having access to FBI files and various US police agency databases).

Given that there are few Canadian flights from SLC (and those from Canada will have likely pre cleared) I can see this happening (I've seen CBSA erroneously stamp Canadian's passports at certain POE known to be foreign heavy)

A better response would have been ''Is this required for Canadians / Its my understanding that Canadians are exempt from this'' which I've seen effectively used before. That, or calling for a supervisor. But they were likely too deferential to speak up.

But CBP collecting biometrics on all foreign visitors has been going on for a long time. Canada does the same, but not at primary.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kwflyer
It's likely the CBP officer forgot that Canadian passport holders are exempt from fingerprinting/photo taking (except for denials/secondary referrals which doesn't seem to be the case) since CBP has access to CPIC and therefore does not need biometrics to conduct an primary inspection. In return, Americans are not subjected to being fingerprinted at primary either (with CBSA having access to FBI files and various US police agency databases).

Given that there are few Canadian flights from SLC (and those from Canada will have likely pre cleared) I can see this happening (I've seen CBSA erroneously stamp Canadian's passports at certain POE known to be foreign heavy)

A better response would have been ''Is this required for Canadians / Its my understanding that Canadians are exempt from this'' which I've seen effectively used before. That, or calling for a supervisor. But they were likely too deferential to speak up.

But CBP collecting biometrics on all foreign visitors has been going on for a long time. Canada does the same, but not at primary.
CBP doesn't collect biometrics on all foreign visitors. Most Canadians and some other visitors are exempted from such CBP collection.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:05 pm

Do they really need to fingerprint people who are just on connecting flights
and have no intention of staying in the United States?
Is that part of some worldwide fingerprint database?
I just don't get it. I never get treated like that in other countries.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Originally Posted by yandosan
When you transit through US airports in between 2 international flights you're effectively entering the country, nothing prohibits connecting travellers from staying in the US once they clear immigration and customs.

There's no international transit area in place in the US.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by yandosan
CBP uses fingerprints to run real time background checks on government databases to determine eligibility (usually criminal records) and make it easier to identify and convict suspects in crimes, down the road. Those with information sharing agreements (i.e. Canada) would be exempted. Each country is free to make their own rules
Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:31 am
Suspended

CBP doesn't collect biometrics on all foreign visitors. Most Canadians and some other visitors are exempted from such CBP collection.
Curious, what other countries (besides Canada) are exempt (besides diplomats and the like).

It's important to remember that biometrics does include photos. With the prevalence of biometric passports now, you have to assume your photo is being accessed/stored each time a country swipes your passport (this is the case with CBSA). Including using automated kiosks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.