Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Executive orders banning entry to US ... [merged threads]

Executive orders banning entry to US ... [merged threads]

Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Question Thread for real-time updates on passing through immigration at US airports?

Am I overlooking a thread? I had thought that Flyertalkers would be posting their experiences coming through immigration into the US yesterday and today, but don't see one. Which forum (if any) please?
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:26 am

What about people who boarded preclearanced flight to the US before the order was enforced and landed after it was enforced. For example EY's longhaul flights from AUH. Did CBP reinspect those flights?
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:52 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by lskohn
Am I overlooking a thread? I had thought that Flyertalkers would be posting their experiences coming through immigration into the US yesterday and today, but don't see one. Which forum (if any) please?
Several such experiences are discussed in the following thread in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum:
Executive Order Bans Entry to US of Nationals of 7 Muslim Majority Countries
Since it is hard to separate travelers experiences from policy debate, I'll move your post there.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jan 29, 2017, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Treat this as a rumor for now, but it looks like some family reunification visa interviews scheduled beyond 89 days from now have been cancelled. I know there are few legal remedies regarding consular matters, but this sure feels like an overstep by State.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
What about people who boarded preclearanced flight to the US before the order was enforced and landed after it was enforced. For example EY's longhaul flights from AUH. Did CBP reinspect those flights?
The only case I'm personally aware of involving AUH was an immediate bounce from the preclearance area this morning (US time). Not aware of CBP making any extrodinary efforts to retroactively invalidate any admissions they made on Friday flights.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Reince Priebus is now on record as saying that the order does not apply to green card holders going forward. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/29/u...be-barred.html

UK foreign secretary Boris Johnson has been told by the US government that the order only applies to people who departed from the 7 countries. Someone traveling from another country (eg UK) would be not be subject to the ban, even if they hold citizenship from one of the 7 countries. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/p...igration-to-us

However, anyone who has traveled to or holds citizenship to one of the 7 countries, should expect some extra scrutiny at the US border.

The executive order itself was very vague and enforcement depends heavily on the interpretation by individual immigration officers as well as DHS as a whole. Unfortunately many green card holders and people not departing from the 7 countries have faced issues entering the US in the past few days. Hopefully there will be less confusion soon as things are clarified by the government.

Last edited by Kumulani; Jan 29, 2017 at 4:31 pm
Old Jan 29, 2017, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TiberiusOnTime
Yes because a lot of these visas were issued improperly without the proper due diligence having been done. Keep in mind immigration to the USA is a PRIVILEGE. There are people denied entry on a daily basis who have visas in hand, from all over the world.
You do know this order affected Green card holder which are law abiding and has waited in line for years. <deleted>

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 29, 2017 at 8:34 pm Reason: Going OMNI/PR (please refer to moderator's note in post 47)
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by Kumulani
UK foreign secretary Boris Johnson has been told by the US government that the order only applies to people who departed from the 7 countries. Someone traveling from another country (eg UK) would be not be subject to the ban, even if they hold citizenship from one of the 7 countries.
How would you define "travel from"? Last time I checked these 7 countries do not have flights to the US. How long of a transit or how indirect the route makes one eligible?
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by catocony
How many hundreds were refused boarding at a foreign airport? That number probably dwarfs those who were in the air when the word went out.
I don't know and it's going to be very hard to calculate.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

It was just brought to my attention that the Donald's press statement this afternoon contained this language:

We will again be issuing visas to all countries once we are sure we have reviewed and implemented the most secure policies over the next 90 days.
If we read this literally (and, one could argue that one lesson of this week is that we should read written statements from this administration very literally) this is a new development insofar as it means that they are promising some relaxation of the blanket ban on April 28th regardless of the level of cooperation or intelligence sharing secured from Iran or the other blacklisted governments. It may not be a promise to issue all types of visas or to individuals within all demographic parameters - heck, it might just be for wheelchair-bound grannies seeking medical treatment - but it sure looks to me like at least a baby step back from an indefinite blanket ban in the absence of full cooperation from states that are likely unable or unwilling to do so.

Of course, anything may happen before then. Hopefully the judicial system will take action far before April 28th on the visas front.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lonelycrowd
It was just brought to my attention that the Donald's press statement this afternoon contained this language:

We will again be issuing visas to all countries once we are sure we have reviewed and implemented the most secure policies over the next 90 days.
If we read this literally (and, one could argue that one lesson of this week is that we should read written statements from this administration very literally) this is a new development insofar as it means that they are promising some relaxation of the blanket ban on April 28th regardless of the level of cooperation or intelligence sharing secured from Iran or the other blacklisted governments. It may not be a promise to issue all types of visas or to individuals within all demographic parameters - heck, it might just be for wheelchair-bound grannies seeking medical treatment - but it sure looks to me like at least a baby step back from an indefinite blanket ban in the absence of full cooperation from states that are likely unable or unwilling to do so.

Of course, anything may happen before then. Hopefully the judicial system will take action far before April 28th on the visas front.
It also seems like an attempt at a legal fig leaf, such that the administration lawyers can claim it's not a discriminatory ban but simply an 'innocent' procedural requirement.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The statement allows for them to keep things as they are for more than 90 days. At or after 90 days they may decide to have the current restrictions continue for even longer than 90 days.

On multiple levels, the statement is designed to be a fig leaf indeed.

By some private accounts from within DHS (and while it seems the statement and the follow-ons may be a fig leaf), there was also a mask: a masking of the orders to skip over some senior DHS career employees who would have otherwise normally been involved before a change of this nature would be activated. No surprise that things turned haywire so fast and so quickly when even DOJ OLC didn't get time to get a word in on this before it hit.

While I was at LAX yesterday, the riot police were at the airport due to the number of protesters and even some counter-protesters. But it seemed to go along peacefully but lead to hassles getting into the airport and in getting taxis/Uber out of the airport. I was told by several parties that the international arrival process was changed, and that even many of those without bags would have to exit via TBIT even when without checked bags. That was different than usual. And a high proportion of Global Entry machines were reported down, but that was due to them ending up out of receipt paper at all about the same time.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 30, 2017 at 6:55 am
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:52 pm

If anyone knows a Syrian, Iranian, etc. green card holder who is stuck outside the US with tickets to return to IAD -- please let Simon Sandoval-Moshenberg know ASAP. He is the Director of the Immigrant Advocacy Program at the Legal Aid Center in Washington, DC.
[email protected]
703-778-3450
To share widely, please cut and paste onto your page.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Haleyb
If anyone knows a Syrian, Iranian, etc. green card holder who is stuck outside the US.
Do I understand correctly that current efforts are mainly focused to allow LPRs (lawful permanent residents, AKA green card holders) from these seven countries back to US, but for others with ordinary visas have no chance to be admitted to US?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
Do I understand correctly that current efforts are mainly focused to allow LPRs (lawful permanent residents, AKA green card holders) from these seven countries back to US, but for others with ordinary visas have no chance to be admitted to US?
Sadly, this is my understanding of the state of affairs at this moment. The Massachusetts injunction early Sunday morning seemed to me to unambiguously permit the landing of IV and NIV holders at Logan, but my understanding is that either CBP is disregarding that ruling or ICTS/IAP et al have enough doubts about its validity that they are disregarding it for whatever reason. Maybe everyone is just waiting for Timatic or some other third party to validate it?

If I were a billionaire, or indeed simply very rich, I'd seriously consider chartering a jet full of refugees (and invite a few journalists along for the ride) to one of the general aviation airports served by CBP on Massachusetts soil right now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.