Search

Neffenger is leaving TSA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Neffenger is leaving TSA

next Friday:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...leaving-233606

"I would love it if the Trump administration would give him an opportunity to continue to implement the changes that he has been making," Democratic Rep. Kathleen Rice said recently, Politico notes. "He's really been making some good changes, and they're long-term."
BTW, this Tweet:

Yet again, the link fails to appear when comment is posted.

Admiral Neffenger was never running @TSA—it's always been 16-year-TSA Chief Counsel Francine "HRC-Whitewater" Kerner
reminded me that I'd read some place that the TSA is run by lawyers, not security experts. I think what I read was a source other than Maclean.

Last edited by petaluma1; Jan 14, 2017 at 8:08 am
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It will be disappointing if his longer term replacement ends up being even worse and supports the BDO or other profiling junk at airport security screening checkpoints.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems that most of the Presidential nominees will be replaced by the new administration so they either leave on their on or get booted out. I'm not sure that Neffy did much good for anyone during his tenure. Is passenger screening any better than it was? Not in my opinion.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
It seems that most of the Presidential nominees will be replaced by the new administration so they either leave on their on or get booted out. I'm not sure that Neffy did much good for anyone during his tenure. Is passenger screening any better than it was? Not in my opinion.
You're right but there had been a good deal of talk about how great a job he was doing and that hopefully he would stay on. One example:

NEFFENGER STICKING AROUND? Because Trump has vowed to “drain the swamp,” most political insiders assume nearly every major Obama administration nominee will either flee or get ousted by the new regime. But some are suggesting TSA Administrator Peter Neffenger could be a rare holdover into the Trump administration.
http://www.politico.com/tipsheets/mo...re-bank-217464
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
You're right but there had been a good deal of talk about how great a job he was doing and that hopefully he would stay on. One example:

http://www.politico.com/tipsheets/mo...re-bank-217464
Who is saying the Neffy did a great job? Not me, my experience at the airport is essentially the same as it has been for the last several years. And it was on Neffy's watch that the multi-hour waits happened. Groping has become more invasive, the ability to Opt Out of Body Scanners was taken away and so forth. A great job from the viewpoint of TSA perhaps but if anything passenger screening has gotten more invasive with less flexibility than before Neffy. I say good riddance!

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jan 14, 2017 at 12:19 pm
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: Delta, United
Drumpf did say he would fix the TSA: http://yellowhammernews.com/politics...ke-rogers-tsa/
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Who is saying the Neffy did a great job? Not me, my experience at the airport is essentially the same as it has been for the last several years. And it was on Neffy's watch that the multi-hour waits happened. Grouping has become more invasive, the ability to Opt Out of Body Scanners was taken away and so forth. A great job from the viewpoint of TSA perhaps but if anything passenger screening has gotten more invasive with less flexibility than before Neffy. I say good riddance!
I agree. The ignorance (real or feigned) that Neffy displayed about the calculated TSA work slowdown last spring was inexcusable. He had to fly to Chicago to see for himself that there was a problem? He doesn't read/watch the news and no one on his staff clued him in? Give me a break.

TSA's test scores did not improve and Neffy's response was to double down on focusing on crotches. A TV journalist got the across-the-crotch strokes in public (something previously reserved for off-camera private gropes) and it's now standard to stick four fingers all the way into someone's pants.

Neffy did nothing to get $90K of fraudulent TSA bonuses back. FWIW, I don't think there should be any bonus system for government management. Ever.

Neffy's Ask TSA has completely stopped directing complainants to a website to report complaints. Why? Is it because Neffy wants to be able to say there are no complaints? If Ask TSA is anything to go by, the 'academy' training is simply reinforcing the fact that the rules are whatever the screener or groper says they are.

Finally, Neffy's 100% responsible for TSA's aggressive threats regarding Real ID. Those threats are of great concern. You can be sure they are designed to provide cases for TSA to pursue and prosecute someone for not falling in line with 'papers, please'.

This all happened on Neffy's watch. He's directly responsible, whether actively or passively, as an AWOL boss collecting his check and looking the other way while the troops run wild.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
I agree. The ignorance (real or feigned) that Neffy displayed about the calculated TSA work slowdown last spring was inexcusable. He had to fly to Chicago to see for himself that there was a problem? He doesn't read/watch the news and no one on his staff clued him in? Give me a break.

TSA's test scores did not improve and Neffy's response was to double down on focusing on crotches. A TV journalist got the across-the-crotch strokes in public (something previously reserved for off-camera private gropes) and it's now standard to stick four fingers all the way into someone's pants.

Neffy did nothing to get $90K of fraudulent TSA bonuses back. FWIW, I don't think there should be any bonus system for government management. Ever.

Neffy's Ask TSA has completely stopped directing complainants to a website to report complaints. Why? Is it because Neffy wants to be able to say there are no complaints? If Ask TSA is anything to go by, the 'academy' training is simply reinforcing the fact that the rules are whatever the screener or groper says they are.

Finally, Neffy's 100% responsible for TSA's aggressive threats regarding Real ID. Those threats are of great concern. You can be sure they are designed to provide cases for TSA to pursue and prosecute someone for not falling in line with 'papers, please'.

This all happened on Neffy's watch. He's directly responsible, whether actively or passively, as an AWOL boss collecting his check and looking the other way while the troops run wild.
Chollie, see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27759578-post33.html
Old Jan 14, 2017, 1:36 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Drumpf did say he would fix the TSA: http://yellowhammernews.com/politics...ke-rogers-tsa/
In my most extreme hopes, I am hoping that the new administration will take us back to pre-9/11 screening techniques and tell the American public the truth about screening and risks. I would dearly love to be able to have my family join me on air flights again without fear of crotch patdowns, sexual assaults, and so on that happen with the TSA (especially seeing how the TSA has escalated such nonsense over the past few months).

But I'm sure reality will set in again after I post this...
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
Under his watch wait times have been at record highs, more incompetence, arrogance, invasive searches of bags/persons, and sexual assaults.

Glad he is out and hopefully (although I am certain nothing will change) the new administration will stop the "security theater" aspect of flying.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:28 pm

I know TSA has a chronic morale and retention problem. That does not seem to have improved under Neffy's largely AWOL tenure.

I myself once discussed working at TSA part-time post-retirement with a group of colleagues. That was before TSA got rid of the wands and starting groping crotches and breasts and dipping their fingers into people's butt cracks.

I'm not squeamish. I'm fine volunteering as a trained caregiver for the elderly, but you couldn't pay me enough to persuade me to take a job where I've got my hands and nose in people's privates all day long just because they want to fly. Everyone present at the conversation a few years back feels the same way. It's degrading, demeaning, disgusting, and most of all, completely unnecessary, as anyone who has flown outside the US knows.

I wonder how many TSOs leave the job just because they get sick of sticking their hands and faces into people's crotches all day long. I suspect way more than TSA admits.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know TSA has a chronic morale and retention problem. That does not seem to have improved under Neffy's largely AWOL tenure.

I myself once discussed working at TSA part-time post-retirement with a group of colleagues. That was before TSA got rid of the wands and starting groping crotches and breasts and dipping their fingers into people's butt cracks.

I'm not squeamish. I'm fine volunteering as a trained caregiver for the elderly, but you couldn't pay me enough to persuade me to take a job where I've got my hands and nose in people's privates all day long just because they want to fly. Everyone present at the conversation a few years back feels the same way. It's degrading, demeaning, disgusting, and most of all, completely unnecessary, as anyone who has flown outside the US knows.

I wonder how many TSOs leave the job just because they get sick of sticking their hands and faces into people's crotches all day long. I suspect way more than TSA admits.

Not nearly enough!
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:12 pm

Not nearly enough!
Seriously, Boggie Dog, could you do this for a living? Anyone else on the forum who would be willing to grope people the way TSA does for a living? Old, young, folks in wheelchairs, handicapped vets, etc.?

I've got LEs in my family, but none of them have to do this for a living.

1) They're not allowed to grope people the way TSA does in its 'administrative' search - and the cops really are often at personal risk if they do a sloppy frisk, unlike TSOs at the checkpoint.

2) They aren't frisking people all day long just because.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seriously, Boggie Dog, could you do this for a living? Anyone else on the forum who would be willing to grope people the way TSA does for a living? Old, young, folks in wheelchairs, handicapped vets, etc.?

I've got LEs in my family, but none of them have to do this for a living.

1) They're not allowed to grope people the way TSA does in its 'administrative' search - and the cops really are often at personal risk if they do a sloppy frisk, unlike TSOs at the checkpoint.

2) They aren't frisking people all day long just because.
Would I work for TSA? Serious answer. NO. I cannot see any circumstance that would cause me to even consider applying to TSA. I could pass the background check, have a very high credit rating without any negative credit history and meet the physical requirements. I would rather stand on a street corner with a cardboard sign before stooping to applying for work at TSA.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
That's that. No more Peter Neffy. He never had any aviation security experience. He's actually don't know what he doing.

How about bring visitors back into the entire concourse again? I'm tired of waiting for a long time. Can they go through at security without tickets again? I knows there is no forever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.