Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

How will TSA respond to FLL baggage claim shooting?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How will TSA respond to FLL baggage claim shooting?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:38 am

Article on why terrorists are drawn to airports and the after effects:

http://www.macleans.ca/news/world/wh...so-frequently/

“It touches a nerve with people’s psychological reactions more than other [attacks] … People are talking about the need to protect airports—not just airplanes—and create security perimeters at the front doors of the airport, not at the corridors of the doors leading to the planes. We’ll move to a situation where people see armed guards and automatic weapons. On one hand, that may be reassuring, but on the other hand it’s a reminder that nothing is safe.”
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:58 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Please let's get back on topic

FlyerTalk Rule 5:

Stay On Topic

FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting.
The topic of this thread is "How will TSA respond to FLL baggage claim shooting?", not TSA uniforms or why terrorists target airports. If you wish to discuss those subjects, please start new threads.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jan 15, 2017, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Coming full circle the shooting event at FLL doesn't involve TSA. Baggage claim is outside the sterile area, a concern for the local law enforcement agencies. I don't believe we need more federal involvement in our local community and state affairs. Look at what the feds gave us, TSA!
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:47 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note:

Posts discussing TSA uniforms and badges, and whether TSA employees/screeners should be called "officers" were moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:42 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by gsoltso
The armed TSA employees should respond differently, they have had the training, they are armed and it is part of their job to assess, engage and control a situation like this (as best they can). The uniform is no more bullet proof than the tshirt that guy over there is wearing.

I will neither agree nor disagree with you about the imaging of our organization - I will simply say there are aspects I agree with, and some I do not. Maybe in the wake of something like this, our upper echelon will examine some of their branding, some of their structure and make changes to benefit the passengers, as well as the employees. OTOH, maybe not?
It's my understanding that at present, the only armed TSA employees are federal air marshalls, who do not wear uniforms - they work undercover on aircraft and are required to blend in with the other passengers.

However, this incident may well renew calls from both TSA and a panicked public to arm TSOs, despite the absolute uselessness of such a move.

Armed TSOs could not have prevented the FLA attack, any more than the armed police who were actually there were able to prevent it. In fact, TSOs do not routinely patrol baggage check areas, so they wouldn't have been able to respond to the shooting at all. Armed TSOs would be useless at the c/p as well, since there are already armed local PD in every terminal. My local airport, BWI, doesn't even rely on their roving patrols for the c/p, but has a podium at every c/p which is staffed at all times during screening operations by one or two armed MD Transportation Authority police officers.

FYI, any armed uniformed officer, of either TSA or local PD, would be wearing body armor as part of the uniform, as pretty much every uniformed cop in the US has since the 1970s, so yes, their uniform actually *IS* far more bullet-proof than my t-shirt or your blue uniform shirt.

Of course, given TSA's track record of utterly ridiculous, useless, stupid, counterproductive, or even dangerous policies, it would not surprise me if part of TSA's response to the Ft Lauderdale shooting was to create a corps of armed TSOs, but fail to provide them with any body armor or enforce any physical fitness standards on the corps. I wouldn't put it past TSA management in DC to pronounce the 'PS' on the end of the word 'corps', either - doubly ironic in this situation.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:23 pm

This whole topic is silly. Except for in 7 states and the District of Columbia, open carry / concealed carry is legal in the public side of all airports. Baggage claim, ticket counter, welcome lobby, wherever. The only place firearms can't go is past security. TSA can't do anything about firearms in the lobby anymore than they can do anything about someone smoking a cigarette in one.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Batmanuel
Except for in 7 states and the District of Columbia, open carry / concealed carry is legal in the public side of all airports.

Which are the 7?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by Batmanuel
This whole topic is silly. Except for in 7 states and the District of Columbia, open carry / concealed carry is legal in the public side of all airports. Baggage claim, ticket counter, welcome lobby, wherever. The only place firearms can't go is past security. TSA can't do anything about firearms in the lobby anymore than they can do anything about someone smoking a cigarette in one.
There are no airports in the District of Columbia.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by catocony
There are no airports in the District of Columbia.
There are helicopter landing pads!

Open carry is illegal in the District, period. Doesn't matter whether it is a non-existent airport, a shopping mall, or a city street. Concealed carry is by permit only, issued by the District of Columbia. DC does not recognize the permits of the 50 states. That seems only fair as the 50 states don't recognize the right of DC to have representation in Congress. Federal law regarding guns on Federal land within DC is even more restrictive.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Theft is more of a governmental concern the more dangerous the item that may be stolen. The government doesn't worry about a whole bunch of checked-in screwdrivers and wrenches being stolen and used by the recipients of stolen property as much as it worries about a whole bunch of guns getting stolen and used by recipients of stolen property. It has to do with what is considered more dangerous and more lucrative in illicit trading.

If a nuclear warhead in a plane hold gets stolen, the government is going to have more concerns about that than if a small handgun, screwdriver or wrench in a plane hold gets stolen. Not all weapons and potential dual-use items are equally dangerous with all other weapons and potential dual-use items.
A locked gun is to prevent TSA from directly accessing the firearm. You sign an affidavit stating that you are submitting an unloaded firearm into checked baggage and the only person who has the ability to unlock the locked case is you. You're not even allowed to use a TSA approved lock. After that, the gun is treated no different than underwear.

Not sure how nuclear arms compares to this Ammunition generally does not explode, unless they're forced into a tight chamber like the barrel of a gun (which shouldn't be the case, because you signed a tag that says it isn't). Even then, you would need massive amounts of heat to set off the gun powder, absent of a primer strike. Loose ammo will simply fall apart when thrown in a fire. Lithium batteries would actually be more dangerous in the cargo hold than a bunch of ammo in everyone's bag.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by caburrito
A locked gun is to prevent TSA from directly accessing the firearm. You sign an affidavit stating that you are submitting an unloaded firearm into checked baggage and the only person who has the ability to unlock the locked case is you. You're not even allowed to use a TSA approved lock. After that, the gun is treated no different than underwear.

Not sure how nuclear arms compares to this Ammunition generally does not explode, unless they're forced into a tight chamber like the barrel of a gun (which shouldn't be the case, because you signed a tag that says it isn't). Even then, you would need massive amounts of heat to set off the gun powder, absent of a primer strike. Loose ammo will simply fall apart when thrown in a fire. Lithium batteries would actually be more dangerous in the cargo hold than a bunch of ammo in everyone's bag.
Actually, most ammo can and will cook off if thrown into a fire. The result is not quite as dangerous as a round fired from a gun, but there is still danger. The shell casing, not being confined in a gun, will be propelled away from the projectile, which is heavier, at a high rate of speed. Not being as heavy as the projectile or as aerodynamic, the shell casing won't hit the same velocity as a fired bullet, but it's still dangerous, as Mythbusters found out when they tossed ammo into a fire and found at least one shell casing embedded itself in a 1/4" plywood cutout placed near the fire.

So no, although ammo won't explode like a bomb or fire like it does from a gun when placed in a fire, it will not simply disintegrate harmlessly, either.

It poses no danger in the cargo hold of an aircraft, though. If there's a fire big enough to cause ammo cook-off in the hold, the aircraft has far bigger problems than some shell casing whizzing around.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by WillCAD
It's my understanding that at present, the only armed TSA employees are federal air marshalls, who do not wear uniforms - they work undercover on aircraft and are required to blend in with the other passengers.

However, this incident may well renew calls from both TSA and a panicked public to arm TSOs, despite the absolute uselessness of such a move.

Armed TSOs could not have prevented the FLA attack, any more than the armed police who were actually there were able to prevent it. In fact, TSOs do not routinely patrol baggage check areas, so they wouldn't have been able to respond to the shooting at all. Armed TSOs would be useless at the c/p as well, since there are already armed local PD in every terminal. My local airport, BWI, doesn't even rely on their roving patrols for the c/p, but has a podium at every c/p which is staffed at all times during screening operations by one or two armed MD Transportation Authority police officers.

FYI, any armed uniformed officer, of either TSA or local PD, would be wearing body armor as part of the uniform, as pretty much every uniformed cop in the US has since the 1970s, so yes, their uniform actually *IS* far more bullet-proof than my t-shirt or your blue uniform shirt.

Of course, given TSA's track record of utterly ridiculous, useless, stupid, counterproductive, or even dangerous policies, it would not surprise me if part of TSA's response to the Ft Lauderdale shooting was to create a corps of armed TSOs, but fail to provide them with any body armor or enforce any physical fitness standards on the corps. I wouldn't put it past TSA management in DC to pronounce the 'PS' on the end of the word 'corps', either - doubly ironic in this situation.
There are other armed components within TSA as well. Not many of them, but there are some (Investigative, LEO, etc) that are armed as well.

Armed TSOs most likely would not have prevented the beginning of this event (without a serious stroke of right time right place with an armed TSO). However, an armed TSO may have given a quicker response time to the incident - they also have about an equal chance that they would not. Some may clamor for an armed TSO position separate from the standard TSO position, and they have some valid points they will make. I do not think that the ones clamoring for the positions to be created will have enough juice to get the incoming administration to see this as a net positive.

The largest position I have seen put forward consistently from the groups pushing for an armed TSO position, have been calling for an armed presence in the checkpoint areas. This position is not described as a regular TSO, but more of an armed guard position, where it is purposely kept separate from TSOs (due primarily to 4th Amendment concerns). In many cases, this would be seen as a replacement for the local LEOs being an armed presence in the checkpoints at some locations, and an augment in others. I can not see a situation (short of outright war in our streets on a national level) that would make the federal government arm TSOs on the whole.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by You want to go where?

Open carry is illegal in the District, period. Doesn't matter whether it is a non-existent airport, a shopping mall, or a city street. Concealed carry is by permit only, issued by the District of Columbia. DC does not recognize the permits of the 50 states. That seems only fair as the 50 states don't recognize the right of DC to have representation in Congress. Federal law regarding guns on Federal land within DC is even more restrictive.
The states cannot recognize, let alone grant, a right under federal law that the federal constitution does not itself recognize nor grant. The individual states could allow a representative from the DofC to be recognized in their own legislatures, if they wished....
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by You want to go where?

Yes, there are helipads in DC but only for specified medical facilities (and authorized aircraft), law enforcement and specified government agencies. There is no general aviation for helicopters in DC.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Section 107
The states cannot recognize, let alone grant, a right under federal law that the federal constitution does not itself recognize nor grant. The individual states could allow a representative from the DofC to be recognized in their own legislatures, if they wished....
Of course the states can. Have you forgotten that there is an amendment procedure to the Constitution?

They could also admit a new state to the Union and shrink the Federal enclave still further.

Heck, they could even return most of the District to Maryland in the same way that they did the Virginia portion.

Originally Posted by Section 107
Yes, there are helipads in DC but only for specified medical facilities (and authorized aircraft), law enforcement and specified government agencies. There is no general aviation for helicopters in DC.
Perhaps you failed to notice my wink at the end of my post. It was intended to be humorous, not to be taken seriously or literally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.