Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Former TSA Administrator: Precheck, a security hologram

Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Former TSA Administrator, Kip Hawley, provides thoughtful insight on the vulnerabilities of TSA Precheck.

"The scary truth about TSA's PreCheck security vulnerabilities"

"PreCheck, however, is fundamentally flawed
. It’s a security hologram — it looks plausible, it’s pleasing to the eye, but its protective value is illusory."

"PreCheck’s “intelligence-driven, risk-based security strategy” is absurd on its face: The absence of negative information about a person doesn’t mean he or she is trustworthy. News reports are filled with stories of people who seemed to be perfectly normal right up to the moment they committed a heinous act. There is no screening algorithm and no database check that can accurately predict human behavior — especially on the scale of millions. It is axiomatic that terrorist organizations recruit operatives who have clean backgrounds and interview well."

Based on Hawleys remarks, it appears that TSA Precheck operates on the premise that "absence of evidence is evidence of absence".
Old Dec 23, 2016, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just think how many times Kippy was called an idiot on this blog. He actually has this right.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Just think how many times Kippy was called an idiot on this blog. He actually has this right.
I disagree, and I would disagree more if they did "managed inclusion" or just "inclusion" until the Übermenschen lanes are running to capacity. Anything that gets people through the checkpoint faster improves safety. Another improvement that would even further advance safety is to end the War on Water.

I think that not only does Hawley not have anything useful to say about aviation security, the affirmation by him of a true statement makes that statement false.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The absence of negative information about a person should not make that person subject to a full body scan or freedom grope.

Precheck treatment should be a standard procedure and scanners for anyone that triggers and a real random selection.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
I disagree, and I would disagree more if they did "managed inclusion" or just "inclusion" until the Übermenschen lanes are running to capacity. Anything that gets people through the checkpoint faster improves safety. Another improvement that would even further advance safety is to end the War on Water.
What is your explanation that "faster improves safety"?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Checkpoints, congested with pax, are excellent soft targets.

The primary assumption needed to accept his statement is that WTMD/shoes on/no removal of liquids or laptops is somehow insecure. I reject that assumption.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We used to write "Kip Hawley is an idiot." For a reason....
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:28 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Reply from Bruce Schneier: https://www.schneier.com/blog/archiv..._risks_12.html
Old Dec 28, 2016, 2:38 pm

The whole thing is a security hologram. Pre check is the only sane thing about the system. At least you can bypass most of the screening garbage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.