Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I dislike the RealID standard because it requires a compliant ID to include essentially everything an identity thief needs except the SSN - full legal name, place of residence, date of birth, signature, and photograph (plus some other stuff). I prefer a passport card because it does not include the home address or signature (though it does include the date and place of birth - even the RealID standard doesn't include PoB). Still, I feel more comfortable traveling domestically on my passport card than on my DL.
Agreed. You make very good points about identity security.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 2:44 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Often1
The deadline for Real ID has nothing to do with TSA and only a bit to do with DHS. The deadline is set by Congress and extensions have been granted by Congress.

All DHS does is the rules to implement the law. Those are fairly clear and easy.
I don't think Congress has ever extended the REAL ID deadline. All extensions have been implemented by DHS through the administrative procedure.

Originally Posted by dsdwe234sfd23
I'm confused as to why any ID is needed for travel within a country.
If we are all checked properly, it is a wasted expense.
It is intended to enforce the no-fly list. Whether that is necessary is debatable, but that is the reason.

I dislike the RealID standard because it requires a compliant ID to include essentially everything an identity thief needs except the SSN - full legal name, place of residence, date of birth, signature, and photograph (plus some other stuff). I prefer a passport card because it does not include the home address or signature (though it does include the date and place of birth - even the RealID standard doesn't include PoB). Still, I feel more comfortable traveling domestically on my passport card than on my DL.
I would think that most states already have all of those things on their licenses, whether REAL ID compliant or not. I'm pretty sure California has had them for a long time.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbn42
I don't think Congress has ever extended the REAL ID deadline. All extensions have been implemented by DHS through the administrative procedure.

It is intended to enforce the no-fly list. Whether that is necessary is debatable, but that is the reason.

I would think that most states already have all of those things on their licenses, whether REAL ID compliant or not. I'm pretty sure California has had them for a long time.
How does an ID help enforce the NFL? What database does TSA consult when a person presents their ID?
Old Dec 25, 2016, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
How does an ID help enforce the NFL? What database does TSA consult when a person presents their ID?
None - which like throwing all confiscated LGAs into one container, failure to inspect sanitary products worn by passengers - just shows that it's all a show to make the gullible feel safe.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by cbn42

I've only ever held a Maryland driver's license, and MD has been RealID compliant for quite some time (except that they don't run an immigration check), so I'm only familiar with the MD license. I dislike any standard that puts PII onto a single, easily-stolen card, whether federally-mandated or state-implemented.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:07 am

Still, I feel more comfortable traveling domestically on my passport card than on my DL.
Problem I had with Passport Card and a gate pass was the airline, AA, did not have the option for Passport Card to enter in their system when issuing a gate pass to me.

I asked if she could just enter it as a Passport, but that fell on deaf ears.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:14 am

As I think you're aware ... the NFL database consultation occurs at the point of issuance of the boarding pass, not at the point of presenting ID.

Ways of circumventing the NFL based on TSA's current procedures are well-known, of course, and left as an exercise to the reader.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
As I think you're aware ... the NFL database consultation occurs at the point of issuance of the boarding pass, not at the point of presenting ID.

Ways of circumventing the NFL based on TSA's current procedures are well-known, of course, and left as an exercise to the reader.
I do know this. I was attempting to highlight the uselessness of TSA's ID protocols. Time wasted, screeners distracted, and travelers delayed all over a bit of Security Theater.

Would seem more reasonable to have some actual security benefit in mind before enacting a security procedure.

Edit to add:

Actually I think the NFL is consulted when a ticket is purchased. Yes an ID is shown to the airline but only if checking baggage on the day of your flight. An On Line Boarding Pass can be printed by the passenger when they check in for the flight either from home or at the airport with no requirement to present an ID to the airline.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Dec 27, 2016 at 8:43 am
Old Dec 27, 2016, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I do know this. I was attempting to highlight the uselessness of TSA's ID protocols. Time wasted, screeners distracted, and travelers delayed all over a bit of Security Theater.

Would seem more reasonable to have some actual security benefit in mind before enacting a security procedure.

Edit to add:

Actually I think the NFL is consulted when a ticket is purchased. Yes an ID is shown to the airline but only if checking baggage on the day of your flight. An On Line Boarding Pass can be printed by the passenger when they check in for the flight either from home or at the airport with no requirement to present an ID to the airline.
Well, the *theory* (and we all know it doesn't work this way) is that a name is checked against the various blacklists at the time of booking, and the name on the ID is checked against the BP to insure that only the person whose name is on the BP (the name that was checked against the lists) is the one who goes through security.

Of course, we all know this process is laughably easy to circumvent. But this is the theory, anyway.

Originally, the ID check was instituted solely to limit the number of people screened by allowing only those with valid BPs could go airside. But then that whole "ID matters" crap came about, and the entire country seems to think that no terrorist could ever possibly have a valid ID, and that every TDC has memorized a list of every terrorist in the world, and that there are no terrorists or potential terrorists anywhere in the world whose names are not on that list.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At the risk of sending this into Bad OMNI, I'll just state that I wonder what the new administration will do about this example of "Big Government"? One might think that they will decide that forcing states to comply is out of bounds. On the other hand, it was a previous administration of the same party that came up with all of this garbage in the first place.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
At the risk of sending this into Bad OMNI, I'll just state that I wonder what the new administration will do about this example of "Big Government"? One might think that they will decide that forcing states to comply is out of bounds. On the other hand, it was a previous administration of the same party that came up with all of this garbage in the first place.
Real ID Act of 2005 is a bill created and passed by Congress and signed into law by the President. Unless a new law is passed overturning the current law it doesn't really matter what the new administration thinks.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Real ID Act of 2005 is a bill created and passed by Congress and signed into law by the President. Unless a new law is passed overturning the current law it doesn't really matter what the new administration thinks.
I would think two things could happen:

1. Repeal the law. I suspect there will be a lot of that going around in the next year or so;

2. Change the implementing CFR.

The law states in general terms:

...a Federal agency may not accept, for any official purpose, a driver's license or identification card issued by a State to any person unless the State is meeting the requirements of this section.

(2) State certifications.--The Secretary shall determine whether a State is meeting the requirements of this section based on certifications made by the State to the Secretary. Such certifications shall be made at such times and in such manner as the Secretary, in consultation with the Secretary of Transportation, may prescribe by regulation.
A better way to approach this would be to revise the implementing CFR. It would take a unified effort by well-placed DHS political appointees and the desire of Trump to reduce the overreach of the federal government in a small but visible way. or, DHS could just issue an "indefinite suspension" of the compliance date.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:45 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Reminder!

Originally Posted by TWA884
Discussions that are political in nature, such as the incoming administration, big brother, big government, federal govenment mandate of national ID and states' rights, are better left for OMNI/PR.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Dec 28, 2016, 12:56 pm

I figure there will be another extension but it will be interesting to see if it will be enforced in states that are working towards complying. I had to renew my Illinois license this year. The state sent a pamphlet explaining all of the changes to the process, all of the new security features, and that people won't get their license that day. They have to wait for it to be mailed from a secure central issuing facility.

Even after Illinois made the changes, the ID's still aren't fully compliant. The reasons are that under Real ID, someone can't have a driver's license and state ID card at the same time and the ID's can't last more than 10 years. Seniors are able to get free state ID cards that don't expire. I can't imagine the TSA will deny millions the ability to fly in a couple of years over a couple of minor points but nothing would surprise me with them.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I saw the REAL ID notice at LAX a couple of weeks ago. I mistakenly thought it would kick in starting Jan. 2017. I see now that it's Jan. 2018. I was wondering why there wasn't more discussion about this.

As a practical matter, could TSA really follow through with this and still keep airports in the affected states functioning?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.