Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

New university study: TSA should give free Pre-Check to FF who have not enrolled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New university study: TSA should give free Pre-Check to FF who have not enrolled

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz

I didn't see this mentioned, but this is renewing the conversation about what to do with FFs who have not enrolled in the Pre-Check programs.

The study is advocating for shifting more flyers over to pre-screening programs and that the cost savings outweighs the cost to TSA of the program fee (if TSA had to pay that same retail fee).

I don't think TSA will ever hit its numbers unless it somehow finds a way to get more people into the pre-check lines (and wants to avoid the random issue from before).

https://news.illinois.edu/blog/view/6367/437224
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...205-story.html
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...04-column.html

I personally think the elite status based programs were effective and while TSA likely turned the dial to near-zero so that people would sign-up for the paid programs, I think they should re-examine that approach or determine how they can efficiently gather more data for the pre-screen/interview section of this non-KTN group. I believe airlines still submit the phrase request for the 'free' pre-check for those who were signed up for the original programs.

Now, some would say that those trying to save the $75 or $100 are being silly, but the study seems to still believe that there are a sizeable FF group that are not interested in the current sign-up process of the program who could be shifted.

Rasheed
Old Dec 8, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rasheed
I don't think TSA will ever hit its numbers unless it somehow finds a way to get more people into the pre-check lines (and wants to avoid the random issue from before).

Rasheed
Or they could simply do what the TSA does best: lie.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA already gathers enough personal background information about a traveler when an airline ticket is purchased to make a Pre Check determination. Proof of this is in the number of people who get Pre Check without paying for the $85 TSA Extortion fee.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 3:23 pm

It seems that the most efficient way would be for them to just give everyone Pre-Check style screening as the default.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA already gathers enough personal background information about a traveler when an airline ticket is purchased to make a Pre Check determination. Proof of this is in the number of people who get Pre Check without paying for the $85 TSA Extortion fee.
This. And when people question the free PreCheck, TSA assures them that they have enough information at time of booking to safely grant expedited screening to many many pax.

They choose not to do so primarily for revenue generation.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 6:07 pm

Or they could just give it to everybody and confront reality.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Or they could simply do what the TSA does best: lie.
From December 6th:

https://twitter.com/TSA/status/806358828803465216

Over 3 million travelers are already taking advantage of #TSAprecheck.
3 million is a heck of a long way from 25 million.

But then there's this from March 31, 2016:

http://dektraveljournal.com/tag/tsa-pre-check/

They said that only nine million travelers have enrolled in the TSA Pre-Check program. This is a significant opposite to the twenty-five million they expected to enroll in the program.
Seems like TSA doesn't have much of an idea how many people are enrolled in Pre. With all the pop-up enrollment sites, sites on wheels, etc., it seems TSA is really getting desperate.

And now from Boston Globe from yesterday:

In just eight months, the PreCheck ranks have doubled, to more than 4 million.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/...ampaign=buffer

Which is it, TSA: 9 million, 4 million or 3 million?

Totally OT, but 2 other things popped up:

But did you know that TSA works to enhance security on more than 2.6 million miles of natural gas and oil pipelines in the U.S.?
https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/20...ions-pipelines

2. Did you also know that Blogger Bob works from home? That info came out this week, but sad to say I can't find the link.

Last edited by petaluma1; Dec 9, 2016 at 8:13 am Reason: add another citation
Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
How about doing Pre Check for everyone and then even less screening for trusted travelers?
Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1120A
How about doing Pre Check for everyone and then even less screening for trusted travelers?
If they are "Trusted" do they really need to be screened at all?
Old Dec 14, 2016, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If they are "Trusted" do they really need to be screened at all?
TSA is afraid that one of their trusted travelers could turn into a terrorist, so they keep throwing monkey wrenches into the TT screening practice, by randomly forcing computers to be out and sexually assaulting passengers.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 6:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by guflyer
It seems that the most efficient way would be for them to just give everyone Pre-Check style screening as the default.
Yes. That and randomized ETD use would be more effective than the current dog and pony show with this DHS pay-up PreCheck program.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 9:20 am

“The strength of PreCheck is the background check. It’s not the item that we’re trying to stop, it’s the person with ill intent who we’re trying to stop,” Jacobson said.

Really? "The person with ill intent"

"A retired executive who lives in Boca Raton, Fla., and doesn’t want her name used says she was tentatively approved for Pre-Check status earlier this year. During her interview, she revealed that 50 years ago [1944 - 1954], she’d been arrested on charges of stealing a $25 necklace at a store. ... “I received a notification that my temporary approval had been revoked and that my application had been declined,” she says. “My fingerprints had come back indicating I had been arrested for petty larceny.”
Old Dec 15, 2016, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by gingersnaps
“The strength of PreCheck is the background check. It’s not the item that we’re trying to stop, it’s the person with ill intent who we’re trying to stop,” Jacobson said.

Really? "The person with ill intent"

"A retired executive who lives in Boca Raton, Fla., and doesn’t want her name used says she was tentatively approved for Pre-Check status earlier this year. During her interview, she revealed that 50 years ago [1944 - 1954], she’d been arrested on charges of stealing a $25 necklace at a store. ... “I received a notification that my temporary approval had been revoked and that my application had been declined,” she says. “My fingerprints had come back indicating I had been arrested for petty larceny.”
Isn't TSA's mission is to intercept WEI, not find terrorists?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes. That and randomized ETD use would be more effective than the current dog and pony show with this DHS pay-up PreCheck program.
Do you mean the dogs that TSA uses for managed inclusion.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
1. Eliminate Precheck.
2. Eliminate the liquids rule.
3. At the start of the line, there's a button. Press it, and a green (95% chance) or red (5% chance) light turns on.
4. Green, you go to the left, and get Precheck screening.
5. Red, you go to the right, and get the scanner machine.

Speeds things up dramatically, and, for anyone wanting to cause harm, creates uncertainty, since they won't know whether to prepare for a WTMD (by avoiding metal) or body scanner (avoiding things on the body).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.