Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

New university study: TSA should give free Pre-Check to FF who have not enrolled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New university study: TSA should give free Pre-Check to FF who have not enrolled

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gingersnaps
“The strength of PreCheck is the background check. It’s not the item that we’re trying to stop, it’s the person with ill intent who we’re trying to stop,” Jacobson said.

Really? "The person with ill intent"

"A retired executive who lives in Boca Raton, Fla., and doesn’t want her name used says she was tentatively approved for Pre-Check status earlier this year. During her interview, she revealed that 50 years ago [1944 - 1954], she’d been arrested on charges of stealing a $25 necklace at a store. ... “I received a notification that my temporary approval had been revoked and that my application had been declined,” she says. “My fingerprints had come back indicating I had been arrested for petty larceny.”
On the way back from Las Vegas, I was randomly selected for pre-check..I have a clean record , but the irony was my husband who has high level security clearance because of his job, wasn't selected.

Not that it mattered, because there was a really cheap $50 upgrade to first to jumped on prior to arrival , so we both went through the expiated line.

ETA- I didn't even know I had TSA=pre check added until I got to security.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
1. Eliminate Precheck.
2. Eliminate the liquids rule.
3. At the start of the line, there's a button. Press it, and a green (95% chance) or red (5% chance) light turns on.
4. Green, you go to the left, and get Precheck screening.
5. Red, you go to the right, and get the scanner machine.

Speeds things up dramatically, and, for anyone wanting to cause harm, creates uncertainty, since they won't know whether to prepare for a WTMD (by avoiding metal) or body scanner (avoiding things on the body).
Isn't that pretty much what TSA was doing with the iPads except for the liquids? Wonder what happened to all of those expensive iPads?

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jan 7, 2017 at 8:50 am Reason: clarity
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: The usual suspects
Do the posted numbers of "PreCheck Trusted Travelers" include those who have it through enrolling in Global Entry?

Even the alleged 3 million PreCheck enrollees could be exaggerated.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onlyairfare
Do the posted numbers of "PreCheck Trusted Travelers" include those who have it through enrolling in Global Entry?

Even the alleged 3 million PreCheck enrollees could be exaggerated.
I do believe it does include programs such as GE.

I just found this:

http://time.com/money/4355097/tsa-precheck-fee-survey/

Of the $85 fee, $38 goes to the TSA, and the FBI receives $12.50 for handling the criminal background check. MorphoTrust takes $34.50 for each application and has declined to comment on its profits from the program.
So out of the $85 Pre Check fee TSA is skimming off $38 for absolutely nothing. A bit over 32% for what?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I do believe it does include programs such as GE.

I just found this:

http://time.com/money/4355097/tsa-precheck-fee-survey/

So out of the $85 Pre Check fee TSA is skimming off $38 for absolutely nothing. A bit over 32% for what?
Just this morning I read that PreCheck enrollment is dropping so fast that Morphotrust is closing offices. Of course, I can't recall where I read that. Will provide a link if I can find it again.

Here's the link: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-security-line

The application spike led to 30-40 new enrollment locations, primarily at airports. But as congestion eased, the surge subsided. MorphoTrust may now close some of its 400 enrollment locations as a result.

Last edited by petaluma1; Jan 9, 2017 at 6:21 am Reason: to add link
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Not surprising.

Pre is the exact opposite of GE: unpredictable availability and wide variance in the experience. IOW, you didn't sign up for Pre, you signed up for a chance at Pre.

It'll be interesting to see how many folks who signed up after TSA's 2016 work slowdown will renew five years from now if the availability and consistency of the service don't improve.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
Apparently the TSA really doesn't trust "Trusted Travelers" because they still do "random" bag checks/full body scanner checks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.