New Evolv Technology

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
New Evolv Technology

http://evolvtechnology.com/security-...lty-screening/

You guys didn't know about that. It's brand new. Manchester (MHT) is the first one to install new Evolv Technology. Soon, they will install more at US airports.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:43 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
MIT Technology Review:
AI Body Scanners Could Solve the Worst Thing About Airports

Excerpt
The most annoying thing about airports is going through security. But a startup called Evolv Technology is getting set to begin public tests of a new AI-powered body scanner, which it claims will allow people to saunter through checkpoints without breaking stride or emptying their pockets.

Evolv has built its scanner using the same millimeter-wave imaging frequencies as existing (and often controversial) full-body scanners. But instead of having someone stand still in a circular booth, the company scans its radar beams up and down people as they walk, measuring how the waves scatter off them.

The data isn’t used to create an image like those normally shown to security staff. Instead, it’s processed by a machine-learning algorithm that’s been trained to spot dangerous items like explosives and weapons. If the system thinks it’s spotted something, a member of security staff is alerted to perform a more detailed check.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TWA884
Inspired by the movie Total Recall.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If TSA gets their hands on something like this I'm confident that they will find a way to screw it up. Extra ID checks, more squiggly markings on boarding passes, or the Super Secret BDO Interrogators.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 10:54 am

This worries me. Currently, at many airports (such as EWR on Monday morning), they let everyone go through the WTMD when the body scanner would have been way to slow. I am concerned that this new device could end this practice. Also, it could be used in other areas or even stealthily.

Additionally, it concerns me that the article says that this is going to be tested first at train stations in Washington, DC and Los Angeles. Does this mean that body scanners are going to be part of the plan for train stations now?

Last edited by guflyer; Dec 7, 2016 at 10:57 am Reason: Additional comment
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guflyer
This worries me. Currently, at many airports (such as EWR on Monday morning), they let everyone go through the WTMD when the body scanner would have been way to slow. I am concerned that this new device could end this practice. Also, it could be used in other areas or even stealthily.
I suspect, but have no evidence, that TSA would scrap WTMD's at the first opportunity should a newer Whole Body scanner come along that has throughput similar to the WTMD.

Guess the future will hold the answer.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:23 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Additionally, it concerns me that the article says that this is going to be tested first at train stations in Washington, DC and Los Angeles. Does this mean that body scanners are going to be part of the plan for train stations now?
According to The Guardian:
<snip>

According to documents filed with the US Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Boston-based Evolv Technology is planning to test its system at Union Station in Washington DC, in Los Angeles’s Union Station metro and at Denver international airport.

<snip>

“Transportation is a very soft and attractive target,” said Alex Wiggins, the executive in charge of security for Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority. “Given the recent large-scale attacks at transit facilities in Europe, we need to see if there is technology that can screen large number of peoples and focus in on weapons and explosives.”

The three locations named in Evolv’s FCC application process upwards of 300,000 people every day, although Denver airport said its pilot project with Evolv had yet to be finalised. The test in LA is due to run in November for three or four days, and will involve thousands of members of the public. “We want to see how finely these [scanners] can be tuned, and what size of weapons and explosives they can detect,” says Wiggins.

<snip>
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

They may end up creating worse bottlenecks of sorts at the stations, but those shouldn't be much worse than they are at stores in terms of bottlenecking itself. The key difference perhaps may be that more innocent, unarmed people end up shot by police or other "security forces" due to more "alarms" and more "alarmed" armed governmental personnel around to react to alarms. Other than that, such an approach may able to be as unintrusive as those shoplifting alarm gates at stores.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look Who's on the Advisory Board...

http://evolvtechnology.com/about-us/

There's a couple of other former TSA and DHS dweebs as well.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:45 pm

I am always skeptical about Brave New Algorithms that
are going to spot the bad guys or differentiate harmless weapons from deadly ones. Remember the 911 attackers only had box cutters and look what they did to NYC.
This sound more like Artificial Stupidity to me.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:04 pm

Is there any concern regarding the radiation from these scanners?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
http://evolvtechnology.com/about-us/

There's a couple of other former TSA and DHS dweebs as well.
Pistole being part of this gives me every confidence that they will fail.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MMW is non-ionizing so should be no concern.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 1:57 pm

I agree that there should be no radiation concerns, but if this technology is implemented, I bet we will soon see threads appear on TSS/Checkpoints on "What not to keep in your pockets..." or "What not to wear..." in order to keep from getting shaken down because the machines throw out false positives.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 6:05 pm

It's millimeter wave with some facial recognition and computer algorithms. They claim "very low false positives".

Fail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.