Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA and the War on Drugs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2016, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Centurion
Potasium Nitrate is a powder and very can be made to be very dangerous. Once ignited it is deadly in many forms. Depending on what you mix it with or even on its own. Im going to stop now and you can do your own research. If you have not terrified yourself you have not done enough research. There is another powder that would fly thru any current security screening that is even more scary. I think we should limit what is discussed. I do not want to make it easy for some crazy person or wanna be terrorist. That said you should report anything suspicious when you travel.
Why do they need to be trained to spot drugs?. The "swabbing machine" checks for drugs.

I bought a carbon suitcase from a third party seller on Amazon. When I went through JFK they swabbed it and they told me that the inside of the suitcase had been full of drugs. They knew it was not my drugs since my clothes had no drugs on them.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
West was a military MP. Most likely he was trained by the Army on drug identification. He never said that TSA provided that training.
Allowing clerks to use their personal experience is arguably worse than no training.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Allowing clerks to use their personal experience is arguably worse than no training.
I didn't make that argument. Just pointed out that the source of that persons training may not be TSA.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:12 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
LAX, terminal 5.

They go digging through my bag, the item of interest turns out to be a bottle of lite salt. The agent explains the x-ray can't tell the difference between salt and certain other powders.

Afterwards, I realized that the only powder they should care about is gunpowder and the lack of anything that could serve as a pressure vessel would mean it was of no threat, either. Thus he must have meant drugs.
Actually, you are assuming he meant drugs.

Originally Posted by petaluma1
You know they are trained to know what drugs look like so that they can flag them; ergo, screeners are trained to look for drugs.

OTOH, maybe TSA assumes that most of its screeners already know what drugs look like so they forego that part of the training.
This is patently false. I have never had a class on "drug identification" from TSA. They indicate that if the TSO finds what they believe to be drugs, they are to notify the Supervisor, and they are t9o contact LEOs if they believe the items in question are drugs.

Originally Posted by gingersnaps
TATP
PETN
potasium nitrate
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...red+explosives

West was a military MP. Most likely he was trained by the Army on drug identification. He never said that TSA provided that training.
True.

Those aren't powders, though, are they?

There are tons of powdered explosives. they vary in strength just as much as other forms of explosives.

The official position of TSA is that we look for WEI, and powdered explosives fall under the "E" heading.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: TSA
It depends upon the training. Some can augment the performing the duties, some can detract from it.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso

There are tons of powdered explosives. they vary in strength just as much as other forms of explosives.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_forms_of_explosives

Just because you can do a Google search doesn't mean you actually accomplished much. Your hit #1 links to the page I linked above--note there is no "powder" category.

The only powders on that first hit are black powder--which I dismissed as without confinement it's not useful, flash powder--again, not useful, and ammonal--you need a hefty blasting cap for that.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 3:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Centurion
Potasium Nitrate is a powder and very can be made to be very dangerous. Once ignited it is deadly in many forms. Depending on what you mix it with or even on its own. Im going to stop now and you can do your own research. If you have not terrified yourself you have not done enough research. There is another powder that would fly thru any current security screening that is even more scary. I think we should limit what is discussed. I do not want to make it easy for some crazy person or wanna be terrorist. That said you should report anything suspicious when you travel.
..... as if security by obscurity works when dealing in publicly-disseminated info on matters of science and explosive chemicals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_forms_of_explosives

Just because you can do a Google search doesn't mean you actually accomplished much. Your hit #1 links to the page I linked above--note there is no "powder" category.

The only powders on that first hit are black powder--which I dismissed as without confinement it's not useful, flash powder--again, not useful, and ammonal--you need a hefty blasting cap for that.
Powdered Mentos candy in a water-soluble gel capsule placed into a sealed bottle of Coca-Cola may be explosive too. Both are readily available for airside purchase at most US international gateway airports.

Just because something may be made explosive doesn't necessarily make it all that dangerous.

<redacted by moderator>.

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 5, 2016 at 10:56 am Reason: Not necessary
Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't make that argument. Just pointed out that the source of that persons training may not be TSA.
I know -- As you pointed out above, if allowed to train themselves, some will become counternarcotics experts via The Google, some by watching Cops; and some by personal hands-on experience. I just can't believe that they "accidentally" discover drugs or illegal cash. Maybe I'll start carrying a Zip-lock bag of oregano and see what happens.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by gsoltso
It depends upon the training. Some can augment the performing the duties, some can detract from it.
Were the TSOs who confiscated my nitro pills doing so based on their TSA training or was I the victim of an 'augmented' search?

From my point of view, screener discretion, augmented or otherwise, puts me at risk every single time I am forced to fly without my medically necessary nitro pills. Even TSA Customer Cares says that my pills may be permitted at the checkpoint. SSI, 'screener discretion', and now 'augmented' unsupervised training can all prevent me from taking my meds with me.

Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I know -- As you pointed out above, if allowed to train themselves, some will become counternarcotics experts via The Google, some by watching Cops; and some by personal hands-on experience. I just can't believe that they "accidentally" discover drugs or illegal cash. Maybe I'll start carrying a Zip-lock bag of oregano and see what happens.
Or Mentos and a bottle of Coke.

Bottom line, TSOs are searching for things they are explicitly trained and rewarded for searching for.

<deleted by moderator>.

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 5, 2016 at 10:58 am Reason: Not necessary
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:40 am

A committee of Congress heard remarkable testimony last week about a long-running programme by the Drug Enforcement Administration. For years, officials from the Department of Justice testified, the DEA has paid millions of dollars to a variety of confidential sources to provide tips on travellers who may be transporting drugs or large sums of money. Those sources include staff at airlines, Amtrak, parcel services and even the Transportation Safety Administration.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulli...n/tw/te/bl/ed/
Old Dec 5, 2016, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chollie
Or Mentos and a bottle of Coke.

Bottom line, TSOs are searching for things they are explicitly trained and rewarded for searching for.
Yes. More can't be expected than that. Amusingly, a full bottle of Coca-Cola is allowed by the screeners if you say it's for a baby. Then they may sometimes try to argue that there is too much for a baby to drink. But if you're flying from the US to Asia or Europe or both, then the quantity argument may end. It's all product of the training. As long as you don't use the magic word "explosive" when showing the mentos and coca-cola bottle, the explosive combination is likely to be able to be cleared if traveling with a lap-child and claiming the stuff is for the baby's long trip. Like drugs, Coca-Cola probably is not good for the average baby/toddler, but the TSA rules and training enable somethings to be cleared with less fuss than something which results in rewards for a TSA "good catch".
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Powdered Mentos candy in a water-soluble gel capsule placed into a sealed bottle of Coca-Cola may be explosive too. Both are readily available for airside purchase at most US international gateway airports.

Just because something may be made explosive doesn't necessarily make it all that dangerous.

<redacted by moderator>.
Yeah, you could make a diet Coke/Mentos "bomb" airside. I'm talking about things that could actually threaten the plane. TSA shouldn't concern themselves with a Mentos bomb.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:48 am
Suspended

Yeah, you could make a diet Coke/Mentos "bomb" airside. I'm talking about things that could actually threaten the plane. TSA shouldn't concern themselves with a Mentos bomb.
But that's expecting too much, isn't it? TSA concerns themselves with larger than 3.2oz bottles of water, Coca-Cola, coke and marijuana too. The latter two items may get the TSA "good catch" employees some reward or another; and so they look for it, even as it's not all that useful for protecting my flights. Not so different than the TSA being on a fishing expedition for parents human trafficking their own children domestically.

This is the product of training, amongst other things.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I pointed out above was that the training the person received was possibly from a source other than TSA. Nothing more. I made no comment about the quality of training or motivation from that training.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.