Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA and Breast Milk: AGAIN!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Very strange. It appears that the TSA supervisor changed the rules right after the local news media reached out to the mother whose breast milk was going to be confiscated..

I wonder what the 'academy' taught this supervisor about breast milk?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
Very strange. It appears that the TSA supervisor changed the rules right after the local news media reached out to the mother whose breast milk was going to be confiscated..

I wonder what the 'academy' taught this supervisor about breast milk?
Notice @ASKTSA's response to the woman began with "We're sorry for any frustration", putting it all on the woman. Their response should have begun with: "We're sorry our employee gave you the wrong information."
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Notice @ASKTSA's response to the woman began with "We're sorry for any frustration", putting it all on the woman. Their response should have begun with: "We're sorry our employee gave you the wrong information."
TSA isn't sorry for its abuse of travelers.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA isn't sorry for its abuse of travelers.
^^
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:01 pm

Did you see her follow up tweet, that a different TSO says she did not have to have the baby with her? A Supervisor does not know the rules for TSA? Thanks Peter Neffenger and John Pistole for all that high quality training that screener go through.

However, just to play screenre advocate, tsa.gov says breast milk is allowed in "reasonable quantities"

On a different page at tsa.gov is:
Breast Milk
Formula, breast milk and juice in quantities greater than 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters are allowed in carry-on baggage and do not need to fit within a quart-sized bag. Remove these items from your carry-on bag to be screened separately from the rest of your belongings. You do not need to travel with your child to bring breast milk. Please see our traveling with children for more information.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sunshinekid
Did you see her follow up tweet, that a different TSO says she did not have to have the baby with her? A Supervisor does not know the rules for TSA? Thanks Peter Neffenger and John Pistole for all that high quality training that screener go through.

However, just to play screenre advocate, tsa.gov says breast milk is allowed in "reasonable quantities"

On a different page at tsa.gov is:
Breast Milk
Formula, breast milk and juice in quantities greater than 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters are allowed in carry-on baggage and do not need to fit within a quart-sized bag. Remove these items from your carry-on bag to be screened separately from the rest of your belongings. You do not need to travel with your child to bring breast milk. Please see our traveling with children for more information.
Who determines what a reasonable quantity is? If it's a front line screener what specific training do they have to allow this determination? I truly believe that TSA makes us less safe.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:23 am

2 more complaints this morning about screeners and breast milk, both having to do with screeners forcing moms to throw away ice packs for cooling breast milk; that's 4 in one week. TSA policy says:

Ice packs, freezer packs, frozen gel packs and other accessories required to cool formula, breast milk and juice are allowed in carry-on. If these accessories are partially frozen or slushy, they are subject to the same screening as described above
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-p...eling-children

That quote given, where "above" is I'm not certain.

Yep, that "training academy" is doing a bang-up job.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:55 am

John Kelly has never breast fed a child, and apparently his wife never has either.

Or maybe they just fly private. Or for some reason they are above suspicion. Like they've had a background check or something to prove they can be trusted.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:13 am

Who determines what a reasonable quantity is? If it's a front line screener what specific training do they have to allow this determination? I truly believe that TSA makes us less safe.
tsa.gov has this

"The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint."

40000+ individual rule makers.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

tsa.gov has this

"The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint."

And not one who can make such a determination.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:14 pm

And not one who can make such a determination.
One wonders if there is anyone at TSA who has the ability to understand what could happen to breast milk/formula/milk if it is allow to remain warm for a period of time. IIRC, breast milk can be at room temp for only 4 hours before it needs to be thrown away.

And it can't be refrozen if it thaws.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
One wonders if there is anyone at TSA who has the ability to understand what could happen to breast milk/formula/milk if it is allow to remain warm for a period of time. IIRC, breast milk can be at room temp for only 4 hours before it needs to be thrown away.

And it can't be refrozen if it thaws.
They have to do this because any semblance of commin sense would blow the lid off the War on Liquids farce.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by chollie
John Kelly has never breast fed a child, and apparently his wife never has either.

Or maybe they just fly private. Or for some reason they are above suspicion. Like they've had a background check or something to prove they can be trusted.
They are of an age and and era in America where breastfeeding was considered mainly for the poor -- that despite the standard WHO advice even for high-income countries being that children should be on breastfed diets (whenever possible) until well over 1 years of age. He and his wife had chidren born some 3 decades ago or so.

For those who think the TSA gives people a tough time over human breastmilk, you should see what the TSA and its LHR/UK equivalents do to men traveling alone with infants/toddlers who are on breastmilk diets. The screeners sometimes try to come up with rules about "how much" nourishment the children need for trips and try to give such parents an unnecessarily hard time.

He and his wife are de facto exempted from TSA rules whenever they want.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 26, 2017 at 4:05 am
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

tsa.gov has this

There is a significant difference between allowing an item and determining how much of any given item is a reasonable amount. I would suggest that NO TSA SCREENER is equipped to make a determination on how much breast milk, liquid medication, or other such items are a reasonable amount. TSA screeners can have very limited educations and I don't think anything in their training can create the knowledge base required for such decisions.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:48 am

There is a significant difference between allowing an item and determining how much of any given item is a reasonable amount. I would suggest that NO TSA SCREENER is equipped to make a determination on how much breast milk, liquid medication, or other such items are a reasonable amount. TSA screeners can have very limited educations and I don't think anything in their training can create the knowledge base required for such decisions.
Part of the issue is the ridiculous on-going LGA restrictions, ignoring the ability of someone to take 8 ounces of liquid nasty divided up into perfectly legal <3.4 ounce containers. Instead of asking if the liquid being presented poses a threat by its very chemical nature, or if it exceeds their 'quantity' rule, they get hung up on how much milk a parent NEEDS. This is none of their darn business. TSA has zero business deciding how much milk (or anything else) is appropriate or reasonable for the pax's intended trip.

If I want to take four pounds of raw carrots and a baggie full of timothy hay, it is none of a screener's business why I want to take it. If it doesn't present a threat to aviation security, shut up and let me pass.

TSA has no business ever asking 'why would you want to take this item?' It is none of their business. Their only concern should be 'is this item, however weird it seems to me, a hazard to aviation security'. If the answer is 'no', then the item(s) should be allowed, whether or not it makes sense to the screener.

IMHO, the recent increased harassment of pax with breast milk is coming directly from HQ. It's happening at too many different airports to be the result of one stupid FSD.

John Kelly, obsessed with women's breast milk and vigorously stoking barely post-pubescent male genitals. Maybe when he gets his payoffs from all new expensive hardware to tackle the 'new' threat presented by electronics, he'll back off a bit on breast milk and genitals.

Last edited by chollie; Apr 26, 2017 at 8:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.