Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA-ACLU agreement re screening black women's hair

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2016, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Primary source:
https://www.aclunc.org/news/aclu-and...ck-womens-hair
https://www.aclunc.org/sites/default...solution_0.pdf

News:
https://thinkprogress.org/tsa-agrees...n-17547695b6a1
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrymple...-hair-searches
Old Oct 21, 2016, 4:49 pm

From what I'm reading, TSA is simply ignoring this agreement and essentially profiling women of color.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
There are plenty of women out there who are not women of color but who are wearing lots of extensions.

Limited sample size, but I don't recall seeing or reading about one of them getting the frisk.

I wonder if their training includes exposure to Kim Kardashian-style extensions, or if the illustrations are all of women of color and the language refers to 'afros' and 'dreads'.

Old Oct 21, 2016, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That agreement is from 2015 so there should be indications of any changes TSA actually made. I really didn't see any specific action items that TSA agreed to take.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 5:59 pm

It's interesting as TSA claims MMW can find something as small as a postage stamp on one's person, but it apparently can't "see" through hair if it has to do head searches on people with lots of hair. That's quite an admission.

Do the beards of men get searched as well? If not, why not?
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
That agreement is from 2015 so there should be indications of any changes TSA actually made. I really didn't see any specific action items that TSA agreed to take.
MSP and LAX will both provide retraining to their respective TSA workforce to stress TSA's commitment to race neutrality in its security screening activities with special emphasis on hair patdowns of African
-American female travelers.
It seems as if "retraining" is limited only to MSP and LAX, although there is some lip-service given to:

In addition, even though TSA does incorporate nondiscrimination principles into its regular training, MB will work with the TSA's Office of Training and Workforce Engagement to make certain that current
training related to nondiscrimination is clear and consistent for TSA's workforce.
https://www.aclunc.org/sites/default...solution_0.pdf
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by petaluma1
It's interesting as TSA claims MMW can find something as small as a postage stamp on one's person, but it apparently can't "see" through hair if it has to do head searches on people with lots of hair. That's quite an admission.
IIRC, MMW only works if there's a dense fatty/bony background behind the thing being looked at. So it wouldn't work for head hair that's above skull height.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by saizai
IIRC, MMW only works if there's a dense fatty/bony background behind the thing being looked at. So it wouldn't work for head hair that's above skull height.
The skull isn't a bony background?

Do they check men's beards?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

What about the ZZ Top-style, Santa Claus-type, and mega-mullah-type beards?

I've seen male beards at airports that are at least as "big" as the kind of hair I see on African-American women at US airports.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: 1 thousand

The MMW scanner scans around a vertical axis (quite obvious if you observe the scanner actually being used). Anything above the top of the skull (vertically) doesn't have the skull as a background.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by televisor
The MMW scanner scans around a vertical axis (quite obvious if you observe the scanner actually being used). Anything above the top of the skull (vertically) doesn't have the skull as a background.
So why doesn't everyone get their hair groped? Why is it mostly black women?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So why doesn't everyone get their hair groped? Why is it mostly black women?
No difference than TSA and the Mexicutioners. Profiling is common at TSA.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Well, in all fairness, TSA's obsession with black women's hair, regardless of length or style, is somewhat balanced by their willingness to stroke a bald man's head, something I've witnessed more than a few times.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
Well, in all fairness, TSA's obsession with black women's hair, regardless of length or style, is somewhat balanced by their willingness to stroke a bald man's head, something I've witnessed more than a few times.
Which demonstrates that TSA screening procedures are not threat based but hype based.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
No difference than TSA and the Mexicutioners. Profiling is common at TSA.
DHS lives on racist profiling. When the Admin was taking issue with racist profiling, DHS was very intense in its lobbying to make sure that it was allowed to do as it does with racist profiling of passengers.

Whether they call it "targeting" or "profiling", its the same thing. Whether they explicitly refer to a category of people or use a proxy factor to capture a category of people, the outcome is largely the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.