Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

United States airport screener uniforms, what should it look like

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United States airport screener uniforms, what should it look like

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When some TSA screeners refer to themselves as "sworn officers" it pretty well proves the point of TSA's intent.

All federal employees take an oath but sworn officer it does not make.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
There was no insult in those remarks only a statement of opinion. Many people have issues with TSA screeners being called "officers" and wearing fake cop badges and uniforms. I think you know this too. You may not agree with those opinions but they are just as valid as any other in support or not.
Many people disagree with you that the uniforms or badges look "fake cop stuff", or that their title shouldn't be "Transportation Security Officer". I think you know this as well. You may not agree with those opinions, but they have just as much validity as yours or any other.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: TSA
When some TSA screeners refer to themselves as "sworn officers" it pretty well proves the point of TSA's intent.

All federal employees take an oath but sworn officer it does not make.
Just like I have posted elsewhere - holding the title "Officer" does not mean that you are necessarily a "sworn Officer". TSOs take an Oath, and they hold the title of Officer.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by gsoltso
Many people disagree with you that the uniforms or badges look "fake cop stuff", or that their title shouldn't be "Transportation Security Officer". I think you know this as well. You may not agree with those opinions, but they have just as much validity as yours or any other.
As I posted earlier, many people (including actual LEs) hold the opposite opinion.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:37 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Well, traditionally, the term officer was used to describe those in position of authority in hierarchical organizations, such as militaries or maritime crews. I have no idea how that word morphed to describe the equivalent of privates in police forces.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just like I have posted elsewhere - holding the title "Officer" does not mean that you are necessarily a "sworn Officer". TSOs take an Oath, and they hold the title of Officer.
All federal employees take an oath. Sworn Officer designates a person with law enforcement authority.

The uniform TSA puts its screeners in is clearly cop like so perhaps it isn't the uniform which is fake.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by TWA884
Well, traditionally, the term officer was used to describe those in position of authority in hierarchical organizations, such as militaries or maritime crews. I have no idea how that word morphed to describe the equivalent of privates in police forces.
Not to go OT, but I was just in OMNI reading about a p****-grabbing politician and the word 'privates' in your post threw me for a minute. Not least because it's not unusual to read 'TSA' and 'privates' in the same sentence.

Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's All About Civil Service Classification

Originally Posted by TWA884
Kip Hawley, at the same time as he invented the cop-like uniforms, effected a change in the job series of TSA clerks. They are now Series 1802: "Compliance Inspection and Support" series. Kippie did this to get them more money and to make them more competitive within the DHS.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:47 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Many of those people are wearing the very uniforms of which we are speaking.

Meanwhile, in the real world, most Americans see a paramilitary uniform on a government employee and believe that those uniformed employees bearing the arbitrary title of officer are law enforcement officers, are surprised when told otherwise, and are resentful of the deception (whether or not the deception was intentional, which I believe it always was).

In many ways, the current uniform is a classic case of stolen valor, though it's perpetrated by an entire slimy government agency rather than a single slimy individual.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
As WillCAD many people think that uniformed TSA personnel are not only law enforcement but also armed. There was some discussion about this on CruiseCritic in connection with the recent FLL shootings. Ran the gamut from people wondering why the "armed" TSA officers didn't respond to the shooting to people saying TSA ought to be armed to TSA ought to take over baggage claim area access and so on. Some of the confusion probably stems from the somewhat misleading uniforms and the presence of local airport authority/local law enforcement officers at some security checkpoints. Of course many also think TSA already runs the security checkpoints in cruise terminals which is not true.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think there is any reaonable doubt that TSA has attempted to blur the lines of reality with the screener uniform. So many other choices that would be both functional and professional but that's not the direction TSA went.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:46 am
Original Poster

I don't think there is any reaonable doubt that TSA has attempted to blur the lines of reality with the screener uniform. So many other choices that would be both functional and professional but that's not the direction TSA went.
You are likely correct. From 2008

TSA's New Policelike Badges Worry Cops

"The attire aims to convey an image of authority to passengers, who have harassed, pushed and in a few instances
punched screeners. "Some of our officers aren't respected," TSA spokeswoman Ellen Howe said."
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:21 pm

I have the solution. TSA personell should have to buy their own uniforms. There could be a list of approved suppliers and this would keep costs down. I know I work in the private sector, wearing a suit 3-4 times a week, wearing Dickies workwear every other day. I would like to see them wear a pair of khaki pants, a short sleeved khaki shirt, optional sweater or smock, necktie and dress shoes. If they want, they can have their uniforms purchased from Brooks Brothers, or Walmart, but they should have to pay for them, out of their own pockets.

Badges? My grandfather was a commissioned army officer from Korea to about 2005 when he died. He didn't need a badge, he had a uniform which identified him as a soldier. And I suspect most of his uniform items he purchased on his own.

What really gets me is when they're in (CATSA which is different in scope) uniform and they're all Sergeants. When you want to talk to their officer, they are nowhere to be found. You say, "I want to talk to your Lieutenant" and nobody there seems to be in charge. I think years ago I saw a Corporal. Back when you could, my aunt accompanied me to the security checkpoint. She was absolutely shocked that they seemed to have nobody in charge, at least by rank. Allegedly their LT is sitting in an office, but you can't see him till you're past security.

I also think they need to press their pants and shirt, shine their shoes, keep their hair cut in a respectful, but not military manner and shave, unless religiously against that last statement.

Chuck
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Clerk West, the clerk who filed a false police report against Phil Mocek and then committed perjury swore to tell the truth in court. Even ignoring the fact that he violated that oath, that didn't make him a "sworn officer" or an officer of any kind. The clerk who filed a false police report against Roger Vanderklok and committed perjury in court took an oath.

TSA clerks are "officers" as much as secretaries and janitors employed by the federal government are "officers" - they perform (<deleted>) duties assigned to them by the federal government. But the technical and general understanding of the term "officer" is more specific than that, and the duties of TSA clerks do not fall within the generally used, and generally understood, meaning of the term. Calling clerks "officers" is an attempt to give a false impression about their responsibility and authority, as is giving them little plastic toy badges. Unfortunately, the toy badges seems to give the clerks a false impression of their responsibility and authority. Many of them seem to think that their sole job is not to learn and follow the rules of their job, but to enforce passenger acquiescence to their misunderstanding and misinterpretation of the rules of their jobs.

I can hire a housekeeper and give her the title of Elephant; that doesn't make her an elephant.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 21, 2017 at 11:20 am Reason: Derisive gross generalization of TSA screeners (please refer to forum's sticky thread for posting guidelines here)
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:00 pm

It finally hit me...

I should have posted this earlier, but after watching "A Christmas Story" on TBS for the 100th time this past December I think I finally found the perfect uniform for TSOs. I'm sending my suggestion to President Trump as soon as I'm done posting this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.