Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

US State Dept: waiver of execution fee illegal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2016, 7:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

When applying for an ordinary US passport, most of us have to pay an application fee and an execution fee to have our application result in being issued a passport. While the application is for the coffers of the passport-issuing authority, the execution fee is not necessarily for the coffers of the passport-issuing authority. Some non-federal passport application accepting facilities had sometimes not been collecting the execution fee, and the State Department doesn't like this happening:

http://wxxinews.org/post/us-state-de...ort-fee-waiver
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...egal/91552896/

Why doesn't the USG like this practice of fee waivers? Could it be because those granted the execution fee waivers by the acceptance agents are selective (read: not necessarily fair) in who gets the waiver of the execution fee? Could it be also because State and the USG would rather not have the execution fee revenue it gets end up cannibalized/reduced due to "competition"?
Old Oct 8, 2016, 3:53 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I think they simply want the price to be the same nationwide. They don't want to hear complaints of "I was overcharged, because it's only $X at ______".
Old Oct 8, 2016, 4:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42
I think they simply want the price to be the same nationwide. They don't want to hear complaints of "I was overcharged, because it's only $X at ______".
Complaints about price competition aren't the concern. If that was the issue, there is no need to have an execution fee; then the government could wrap it all into a single application fee with the application accepting agent being paid a percentage of the application fee revenue. That would be one way around the scenario you mention.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Paying the acceptance agent involves a lt more paperwork and effort than simply insisting that the acceptance fees be collected by said agent.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 12:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Paying the acceptance agent involves a lt more paperwork and effort than simply insisting that the acceptance fees be collected by said agent.
Consolidation of charges and of payments can be structured to be a method of cost-reduction on the supply side.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:58 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Consolidation of charges and of payments can be structured to be a method of cost-reduction on the supply side.
Oh crap, D. Stockman is involved in passports?!?! what has the world come to?!
Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Section 107
Oh crap, D. Stockman is involved in passports?!?! what has the world come to?!
To the OMB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.