Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Congress Wants TSA to Secure Amtrak & Buses

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Congress Wants TSA to Secure Amtrak & Buses

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:31 pm

Now I am less amused by this reimagined Amtrak ad campaign.

I took Amtrak a few years ago, and it was quite a relaxing trip because I wasn't treated like a criminal at any point in the trip. Also, the seats were spacious and equipped with electrical outlets, and nobody told me I wasn't allowed to congregate near the lavs. If Amtrak did not have such limited schedules and routes (in the southern US), I would definitely use it more.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
Originally Posted by rpjs
In the wake of the 7/7 attacks, the UK tried a couple of experiments with bag X-rays at London Paddington station for the Heathrow Express but quickly concluded it was impractical.
I remember that the DC Metro had a program a few years ago with random bag checks at random stations. I think it was coordinated by the Metro Transit Police and TSA. I think within the first day there was a Twitter account to notify people of the stations being screened each day so commuters could bypass it.

What a joke!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigOrangeTerp
I remember that the DC Metro had a program a few years ago with random bag checks at random stations. I think it was coordinated by the Metro Transit Police and TSA. I think within the first day there was a Twitter account to notify people of the stations being screened each day so commuters could bypass it.

What a joke!

How do police get around search restrictions without obtaining a warrant?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
How do police get around search restrictions without obtaining a warrant?
No need for a warrant; you're completely free to refuse to consent to a search. You won't be getting on the train that day, of course, but it's your choice.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
No need for a warrant; you're completely free to refuse to consent to a search. You won't be getting on the train that day, of course, but it's your choice.
All you'd have to do is go to another station.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
That is exactly the problem, being blocked from using mass transit without cause. A search under those circumstances is not voluntary.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
All you'd have to do is go to another station.
Exactly what NYPD does when bag searching entering the Subway in NYC. If you refuse search they refuse entry.

NYPD only sets up at one subway stop and usually only one entrance at that stop. They only stop you from entering where they are, nothing prevents you using another entrance at the same stop or walking to the next stop.

TSA has been used at some of the inspections as well with the NYPD.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:03 am

Edward Hasbrouck's analysis at PapersPlease
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by saizai
Would this mean that one could no longer walk up to a kiosk and purchase a ticket for same-day travel? I would think that would hurt Amtrak's business and heaven forbid if that were extended to commuter traffic, which probably sees far more riders than Amtrak.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier just to bomb a train on the tracks or a bus on the road?
Yes, it would be much easier. Amtrak trains, for example, pass through vast swaths of land that are away from prying eyes and/or in the middle of nowhere (particularly the longhaul trains outside the NEC). Same with freight trains carrying hazardous chemicals and such.

Heck, even setting up TSA at train stations would be a waste - plenty of Amtrak "stations" in rural areas are just unmanned platforms with a covered bench waiting area similar to a city bus stop.

Playing Security Theater in train stations and bus stations will do nothing aside from grow the TSA bureaucracy.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Yes, it would be much easier. Amtrak trains, for example, pass through vast swaths of land that are away from prying eyes and/or in the middle of nowhere (particularly the longhaul trains outside the NEC). Same with freight trains carrying hazardous chemicals and such.

Heck, even setting up TSA at train stations would be a waste - plenty of Amtrak "stations" in rural areas are just unmanned platforms with a covered bench waiting area similar to a city bus stop.

Playing Security Theater in train stations and bus stations will do nothing aside from grow the TSA bureaucracy.
Maybe Federal Rail and Bus Marshals are the solution.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Meh. This is a whole lot of nothing.

First: all that's happened is that a bill was introduced. If it doesn't pass before Congress adjourns, it's dead. Since this is an election year, the session ends at the end of December(-ish). There's no chance this gets passed before the election, and I don't see enough political will to make this important enough for Congress to take it up during the lame-duck session.

Also, even the article notes:

So, no time to get it passed, and no money for it, either. I'd say this is just an opportunity for folks to get their name in the paper.
More or less, jk is right. The only personnel hiring that will go on, is they'll most likely hire more Surface-based Transportation Security Inspectors (TSIs; essentially the people enforcing regulatory compliance with inspections and sanctions/penalties if need be), more VIPRs and most likely more grants to Amtrak and transit agencies to buy more gadgets and outfit the tactical guys.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:36 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Sounds like USA is becoming more like USSR with government issued photo ID as functional equivalent of an internal passport.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 2:14 am

Isn't part of the security in certain stations already TSA? I'm fairly certain I've seen them in 30th Street station in Philadelphia and Penn Station in NYC. NYC also has security personnel in camo uniforms with serious weapons and regular sweeps with the dog teams - not sure exactly who those two belong to.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
NYC also has security personnel in camo uniforms with serious weapons and regular sweeps with the dog teams - not sure exactly who those two belong to.
At Penn Station, NYC, it's the National Guard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.