Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA again rejects DC drivers license

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'm surprised I've never had trouble with my Canadian provincial drivers licence at TSA checkpoints but the most anyone has said is "oh this is Canadian?" and waived me on.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by cbn42
Last I heard, all states have been granted REAL ID extensions until January 22, 2018.

Of course, this is something like the 8th extension, so there could be more.
Even without RealID, people will still be able to fly. They'll just have to show a Costco card and their current only-rejected-by-TSA DL, submit to a full body grope and bag search and swab.

Me, I already get that almost every time I fly with a currently valid ID because I'm not able to assume and hold the position in the NoS. It won't be much of a change for me.

The critical point of all TSA's bluster is to ensure that no harmful (or desirable to TSOs) contraband gets into the sterile area via a pax. A fake ID presents no security threat. No one is going to harm someone or take over a plane with a fake ID.

So TSA fails to find items that actually could be used to take a plane down 95% of the time. What is TSA's reaction to these failures? TSA ignores them and doubles down on meaningless ID.

Which former TSA/DHS honchos (current or former) have a financial stake in the industry providing the means to produce 'RealID'? This is nothing more than another means of lining pockets. It's $$$$, which is why so many states have dragged their heels getting on board. It's a classic unfunded mandate.

Last edited by chollie; Sep 26, 2016 at 10:07 am
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by cbn42
Last I heard, all states have been granted REAL ID extensions until January 22, 2018.

Of course, this is something like the 8th extension, so there could be more.
Plus, IDs don't become invalid so long as the state is (or will be) issuing RealID compliant IDs.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If people who do not have RealID compliant ID's refuse to play TSA's ID game for a few weeks I suspect that those non-RealID's would become acceptable. Put the workload on TSA. Plan ahead and allow a bit of time, make TSA work a bit.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by chollie
Even without RealID, people will still be able to fly. They'll just have to show a Costco card and their current only-rejected-by-TSA DL, submit to a full body grope and bag search and swab.

Me, I already get that almost every time I fly with a currently valid ID because I'm not able to assume and hold the position in the NoS. It won't be much of a change for me.

The critical point of all TSA's bluster is to ensure that no harmful (or desirable to TSOs) contraband gets into the sterile area via a pax. A fake ID presents no security threat. No one is going to harm someone or take over a plane with a fake ID.

So TSA fails to find items that actually could be used to take a plane down 95% of the time. What is TSA's reaction to these failures? TSA ignores them and doubles down on meaningless ID.

Which former TSA/DHS honchos (current or former) have a financial stake in the industry providing the means to produce 'RealID'? This is nothing more than another means of lining pockets. It's $$$$, which is why so many states have dragged their heels getting on board. It's a classic unfunded mandate.
Even *IF* TSA ever does decide to start rejecting non-compliant IDs, how will the average TDC know whether an ID is compliant or not? Will REAL-ID compliant cards have a logo on them?

Of course, logo or not, if a TDC isn't smart enough to accept a "New Mexico" or "Washington, District of Columbia" ID, they're not going to be smart enough to spot some kind of REAL-ID logo on the card, either, much less some other identifying feature, or to memorize a list of which states' IDs are and are not REAL-ID compliant.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Even *IF* TSA ever does decide to start rejecting non-compliant IDs, how will the average TDC know whether an ID is compliant or not? Will REAL-ID compliant cards have a logo on them?

Of course, logo or not, if a TDC isn't smart enough to accept a "New Mexico" or "Washington, District of Columbia" ID, they're not going to be smart enough to spot some kind of REAL-ID logo on the card, either, much less some other identifying feature, or to memorize a list of which states' IDs are and are not REAL-ID compliant.
There's probably an expensive scanner almost* ready to be rolled out that can detect the difference. If it doesn't work, then the states will have to re-issue scanner-compliant versions of Real-ID.

I'd like to think that's nonsense, but it's clearly where we are headed.

*They're having trouble with the voice-recognition part - you know, where you state your name and the ID scanner makes sure it matches the name on your scanned ID.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 6:07 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Yes, they will; it's a gold circle with a 5-pointed star cut out from the middle. (At least it isn't a 6-pointed star.)
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by CKDGM
Yes, they will; it's a gold circle with a 5-pointed star cut out from the middle. (At least it isn't a 6-pointed star.)
Under the current schedule, this won't matter until Oct. 1, 2020, when you need an actual RealID not just an ID from a state that is issuing RealID compliant IDs. (Jan. 22, 2018 deadline for that).

Q: Why is DHS implementing air travel in stages?

On January 8, 2016, the Secretary of Homeland Security announced the following timetable for the implementation of the REAL ID Act for air travel:

Effective immediately, the Department of Homeland Security will conduct outreach to educate the traveling public about the timeline below, and continue engagements with states to encourage compliance with REAL ID standards.
Starting July 15, 2016, TSA, in coordination with airlines and airport stakeholders, will begin to issue web-based advisories and notifications to the traveling public.
Starting December 15, 2016, TSA will expand outreach at its airport checkpoints through signage, handouts, and other methods.
Starting January 22, 2018, passengers with a driver’s license issued by a state that is still not compliant with the REAL ID Act (and has not been granted an extension) will need to show an alternative form of acceptable identification for domestic air travel to board their flight. To check whether your state is compliant or has an extension, click here. Passengers with driver’s licenses issued by a state that is compliant with REAL ID (or a state that has been issued an extension) will still be able to use their driver’s licenses or identification cards.
Starting October 1, 2020, every air traveler will need a REAL ID-compliant license, or another acceptable form of identification, for domestic air travel.

This timetable recognizes that some states must change their laws to comply with the REAL ID Act. It is also designed to provide an opportunity for members of the public to learn more about the implications of not having a REAL ID-compliant license, and so that individuals have an ample opportunity to replace their pre-REAL ID licenses with new compliant licenses or to obtain another acceptable form of identification.
https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by CKDGM
I renewed my Illinois driver's license last month and the state sent a brochure explaining the new license procedure and how you have to wait three weeks to get the new license sent from a central facility. It also explained all of the safety features built into the license. I assumed Illinois had finally caved to the federal government on Real ID. I looked for that circle on my ID and it wasn't there. Apparently the licenses still don't meet all of the Real ID requirements. It's ridiculous that the Real ID requirements exist in the first place and then my state doesn't bother to meet all of the requirements.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Federal government should not be setting standards for State Operators License's in the first place, and make no mistake an operators permit is not and ID but a license.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Federal government should not be setting standards for State Operators License's in the first place, and make no mistake an operators permit is not and ID but a license.
Some states have taken that view and decided not to make IDs that are realID compliant. Their residents will eventually need to get an ID that the federal government says is acceptable identification for federal buildings and security points.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by drewguy
Some states have taken that view and decided not to make IDs that are realID compliant. Their residents will eventually need to get an ID that the federal government says is acceptable identification for federal buildings and security points.
DHS knows it can't win a battle against a collection of US Senators willing to do whatever it legally takes to protect the interests of their constitutents to engage in life with state ID that is not REAL ID-compliant.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by drewguy
Certain states already are having this issue with access to military installations. Starting this month I believe OK licenses are no longer good for a cess to military and some federal sites. TSA is still taking them, but other parts of government are slowly starting to stop.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 11:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Oklahoma DLs are still getting people into the White House and Pentagon as of last week at least.

At least 30-33 US states/territories are still not fully in compliance with the REAL ID Act.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Oklahoma DLs are still getting people into the White House and Pentagon as of last week at least.

At least 30-33 US states/territories are still not fully in compliance with the REAL ID Act.
The article I read stated during October this would be the case. Now if they've decided not to go through with, I have no clue. However it was supposed to start sometime this month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.