Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Exercise of FSD Discretion to Implement a More Stringent Screening Process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exercise of FSD Discretion to Implement a More Stringent Screening Process

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2016, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kmersh
To be EXTREMELY CLEAR: I do not really know the applicable laws or really have a great understanding of security in general, I am a Physician not an expert in the Security Industry.

Recently, my Dad was going through a TSA checkpoint and TSA decided to take issue with a prescribed liquid medication.

The employee asked my Father when his last meal was and my Father honestly said my Wife and I ate lunch before going to the airport. The employee said the label says take 1 hour before breakfast, lunch and dinner and as you had lunch before coming to the airport and the flight is short, about an hour and landing well before dinner you can check this medication.

My Dad said I was under the impression that Prescribed Medication is exempt from the liquids band thus I could have it with me, in case my flight is delayed, etc. The TSA employee said that he had ultimate authority with regards to exemptions and he was not exempting this item.

My Dad is a Physician himself and said to the TSA Employee did you take a Residency in Gastroenterology prior to working for TSA as my Gastroenterologist felt I need this medication? The Agent said my Dad should not joke about security and he did not need a residency in medicine to know what is a necessitated exemption and what is not.

Ultimately a Supervisor was called and he did allow the Medication through, but does any TSA Employee, FSD or mere peon have the right to practice medicine without a license? Which is essentially what that TSA Employee did do, IMHO.
Your dad needs to file a complaint with the DHS IG:

https://www.oig.dhs.gov/hotline/hotline.php
Old Sep 14, 2016, 3:31 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
That TSA agent was an idiot on a power trip.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Your dad needs to file a complaint with the DHS IG:

https://www.oig.dhs.gov/hotline/hotline.php
I will pass that along, having said that, I know my Father and he will say the work to file the complaint which will have no material impact is not worth his time.

He a long time ago resided himself to the fact that he is a mere peon and will never not via vote or any other means have any real way to effect to change, so he went about practicing medicine and just staying out of the Government the best he could.

He did say that he might speak with the Texas Medical Board and let them know that TSA is dispensing medical advice and countermanding Physicians orders without a Medical License. However, he at this point will probably just do nothing at all as he has calmed down about the whole thing and is now enjoying his vacation.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by kmersh
I will pass that along, having said that, I know my Father and he will say the work to file the complaint which will have no material impact is not worth his time.

He a long time ago resided himself to the fact that he is a mere peon and will never not via vote or any other means have any real way to effect to change, so he went about practicing medicine and just staying out of the Government the best he could.

He did say that he might speak with the Texas Medical Board and let them know that TSA is dispensing medical advice and countermanding Physicians orders without a Medical License. However, he at this point will probably just do nothing at all as he has calmed down about the whole thing and is now enjoying his vacation.
I will file the complaint for him.

Information I need:

Time of incident.
Date of Incident.
Airport
Terminal of the Airport
Checkpoint of the Terminal
Lane of the Checkpoint.

And YES ABSOLUTELY YES, TSA needs to held account for "dispensing medical advice and countermanding Physicians orders"

***Just tell the Airport, Checkpoint, and Date***
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
https://twitter.com/WhatThe5K/status/783391636168597504

Interesting exchange on AskTSA this morning.

Pax at BIS asks why all pax are now required to remove snacks (yes, Doritos and such) from their bags during screening. He was told it was a state-wide FSD rule.

TSA-bot responded that TSO's have the discretion to do whatever they want.

Pax responds by posting the website info regarding snacks. Nothing about snacks being prohibited or requiring extra screening or removal. Pax asks how travelers are supposed to prepare for travel when they have no idea what to expect or what is/isn't allowed.

Pax points out that he was specifically told that this has nothing to do with 'discretion', it is a new state-wide FSD rule that applies to all pax. Pax notes that TSA-bot clearly is set up to respond 'discretion' without actually processing the nature of the complaint.

Final unanswered pax question (neither bots nor real people wanted to tackle this one honestly):

So how, as a traveler, am I supposed to know what the rules are when your website and agents don't even agree on what the rules are?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
https://twitter.com/WhatThe5K/status/783391636168597504

Interesting exchange on AskTSA this morning.

Pax at BIS asks why all pax are now required to remove snacks (yes, Doritos and such) from their bags during screening. He was told it was a state-wide FSD rule.

TSA-bot responded that TSO's have the discretion to do whatever they want.

Pax responds by posting the website info regarding snacks. Nothing about snacks being prohibited or requiring extra screening or removal. Pax asks how travelers are supposed to prepare for travel when they have no idea what to expect or what is/isn't allowed.

Pax points out that he was specifically told that this has nothing to do with 'discretion', it is a new state-wide FSD rule that applies to all pax. Pax notes that TSA-bot clearly is set up to respond 'discretion' without actually processing the nature of the complaint.

Final unanswered pax question (neither bots nor real people wanted to tackle this one honestly):
Obviously the passengers fault for not being clairvoyant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.