Airport Security Agent takes away 60ml aerosol product

Subscribe
My wife and I were traveling recently and when going through security, the agent took away an aerosol canister hair product. It's rather expensive, and we researched this before hand and determined it was allowed. We've taken this and similar items through airport security before, and even had them visually examined and had no problems.

This agent went through our bag of liquids and said we couldn't take it. I asked why? She said it was explosive. I said, "no it's allowed. It's under 100ml, there should't be any problem, and it's a personal care product. Aerosol's are allowed." She said, "no. look. It's an aerosol. Not allowed. It's explosive." I was continuing to try to explain when she just turned away from me and dumped it in the garbage and didn't even look back at me.

This specific product had a lid/cap with a safety lock which required a push and a turn to the right location in order to remove the cap.

I've never seen this. Is it within the security agent's discretion to dump any object without legitimate cause even if the item is on the list of permissible items allowed on carry-on? I assume they can do that? Is there anything I should do next time, or is it just a waste of time trying to negotiate this even if I bring along a list of the TSA permissible items from the TSA website.

There was no safety risk, and it's a permissible item. I am thinking the agent didn't understand the requirements correctly, since she also let me carry on a 150ml bottle of liquid spray deodorant which was in the same clear bag and that she visually and physically inspected. I would have been fine if she removed this as I know it's not allowed. However, she left it.

Thoughts?
Quote: My wife and I were traveling recently and when going through security, the agent took away an aerosol canister hair product. It's rather expensive, and we researched this before hand and determined it was allowed. We've taken this and similar items through airport security before, and even had them visually examined and had no problems.

This agent went through our bag of liquids and said we couldn't take it. I asked why? She said it was explosive. I said, "no it's allowed. It's under 100ml, there should't be any problem, and it's a personal care product. Aerosol's are allowed." She said, "no. look. It's an aerosol. Not allowed. It's explosive." I was continuing to try to explain when she just turned away from me and dumped it in the garbage and didn't even look back at me.

I've never seen this. Is it within the security agent's discretion to dump any object without legitimate cause even if the item is on the list of permissible items allowed on carry-on? I assume they can do that? Is there anything I should do next time, or is it just a waste of time trying to negotiate this even if I bring along a list of the TSA permissible items from the TSA website.

There was no safety risk, and it's a permissible item. I am thinking the agent didn't understand the requirements correctly, since she also let me carry on a 150ml bottle of liquid spray deodorant which was in the same clear bag and that she visually and physically inspected. I would have been fine if she removed this as I know it's not allowed. However, she left it.

Thoughts?

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...ohibited-items

Looks like the TSA screener was wrong but a screener can stop any item for any or no reason. l would file a complaint.
Obey and don't make eye contact. But most importantly, OBEY.

This crap makes me furious and I only deal with TSA maybe once per year. All you can do is ask for a supervisor and if you get nowhere with that, then file a formal complaint. You can also tell them that you want the item back (i.e. don't be such a turd by throwing my property out) and you're going to check it in your checked luggage.
AskTSA just told someone that they could take a can of dry shampoo with them. I'd file a complaint both with the TSA and the DHS IG. Name names, if you can.
File a complaint.

I have experience with the process.

You will want to identitfy the following concerning the incident

Date
Time
Airport
Terminal
Checkpoint
Lane
Description of yourself
File a complaint and file a claim for the replacement cost: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/passenger-support/claims
Was this is the US? If so was this TSA or private security?
Quote: Was this is the US? If so was this TSA or private security?
Some US airports it is not TSA but contracted out. SFO comes to mind that's
Covenant Aviation Security.
Quote: Some US airports it is not TSA but contracted out. SFO comes to mind that's

Doesn't matter, they are still required to work with TSA SOP and follow the exact rules that all other U.S. airports must follow.

If the screener in the U.S. told someone that a 60 ml aerosol wasn't permitted then by TSA's own rules they were wrong. the item was confiscated without cause.
That's why I asked if it was TSA or Private Security so not sure what your point was.

Quote: Some US airports it is not TSA but contracted out. SFO comes to mind that's
TSO's SOP is to make up rules as they feel which I have seen at SFO also. Once it was challenged they guy backed down quickly.

Quote: Doesn't matter, they are still required to work with TSA SOP and follow the exact rules that all other U.S. airports must follow.

If the screener in the U.S. told someone that a 60 ml aerosol wasn't permitted then by TSA's own rules they were wrong. the item was confiscated without cause.
Quote: File a complaint and file a claim for the replacement cost: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/passenger-support/claims
This is important. FUTR's link is correct — to file a complaint about damages / loss / etc that matters, it must be a formal FTCA claim. The link above does that.

Note that general TSA contact center complaints do not.

Quote: Obey and don't make eye contact.
Not making eye contact is 1 point on SPOT.

Quote: Looks like the TSA screener was wrong but a screener can stop any item for any or no reason.
You can always escalate to an STSO, TSM, & AFSD/S until you get the right answer. (And if that doesn't work, at least you have them legally cornered, since they can't claim it was just a noob mistake.)
Quote: This is important. FUTR's link is correct — to file a complaint about damages / loss / etc that matters, it must be a formal FTCA claim. The link above does that.

Note that general TSA contact center complaints do not.

Not making eye contact is 1 point on SPOT.

You can always escalate to an STSO, TSM, & AFSD/S until you get the right answer. (And if that doesn't work, at least you have them legally cornered, since they can't claim it was just a noob mistake.)

I don't buy into the Noob mistake claims. If a screener is put on the line without an immediate shadow during training then they are responsible for knowing TSA SOP. If they aren't sure then they are the ones who should be finding out the correct answer. Each screener should be held accountable for their own actions.
On the spot, ask for a supervisor (if you look at the Officer's arm, you will see that her uniform had 1, 2 or 3 stripes and she was likely a 1 or possibly a 2). Just stand there until the supervisor comes over. Make your case and then proceed. As others note, just be polite and don't get into a fight about it.

If the supervisor goes your way, off you go.

If the supervisor doesn't, file the complaint. Try to find the same product and include a photo or an exact description. Stick to the facts.
Quote: Not making eye contact is 1 point on SPOT.

Isn't it 16th? Making eye contact (in the form of a "cold penetrating stare") is third.

So I think the advice should be, obey, without making or failing to make eye contact.
Quote: On the spot, ask for a supervisor (if you look at the Officer's arm, you will see that her uniform had 1, 2 or 3 stripes and she was likely a 1 or possibly a 2). Just stand there until the supervisor comes over. Make your case and then proceed. As others note, just be polite and don't get into a fight about it.

If the supervisor goes your way, off you go.

If the supervisor doesn't, file the complaint. Try to find the same product and include a photo or an exact description. Stick to the facts.
When you get someone in a suit, the game changes very quickly. It is still fun just in a different sort of way.