Go Back   > > >
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 4, 16, 7:40 am   #16
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails View Post
When you get someone in a suit, the game changes very quickly. It is still fun just in a different sort of way.
Suits including, reportedly, the FSD was present for the screening of the 9 year old boy with a pacemaker. Apparently made no difference in his case.

I think certain problems are so ingrained at TSA that travelers have little immediate recourse. Even going for corrective action after the fact is met by stonewalling, the full force of the Justice Department, and every other nasty tactic that can be played.

I don't think TSA as currently structured is what America needs.
Boggie Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 16, 9:11 am   #17
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 24,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
Suits including, reportedly, the FSD was present for the screening of the 9 year old boy with a pacemaker. Apparently made no difference in his case.

I think certain problems are so ingrained at TSA that travelers have little immediate recourse. Even going for corrective action after the fact is met by stonewalling, the full force of the Justice Department, and every other nasty tactic that can be played.

I don't think TSA as currently structured is what America needs.
A suit was not only present and involved throughout the shameful Stacey Amato harassment, he was leading it.

A suit backed up the 'discretion' of the screener who decided my nitro pills were not permitted.
chollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 16, 1:55 am   #18
  
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SYD (usually), GVA (occasionally)
Programs: QF PS, EK-Silver, Security Theatre Critic
Posts: 4,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
I don't think TSA as currently structured is what America needs.
You win the internet-wide "understatement of the millennium" award.
RadioGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 16, 2:32 pm   #19
  
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: California
Posts: 22
If you have more of the hairspray at home check the container labeling to see if it has the flammable symbol on it. My wild guess is it could have been that, but the person should have told you that was the issue and not the size.
rolling_stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 16, 4:00 pm   #20
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling_stone View Post
If you have more of the hairspray at home check the container labeling to see if it has the flammable symbol on it. My wild guess is it could have been that, but the person should have told you that was the issue and not the size.

Follow the link in post#2, read the footnotes, and you will see that this item is allowed by TSA. Once again, the problem is the incompetence seen far to often in TSA screeners.
Boggie Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 16, 5:58 am   #21
  
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTravel View Post
My wife and I were traveling recently and when going through security, the agent took away an aerosol canister hair product. It's rather expensive, and we researched this before hand and determined it was allowed. We've taken this and similar items through airport security before, and even had them visually examined and had no problems.

This agent went through our bag of liquids and said we couldn't take it. I asked why? She said it was explosive. I said, "no it's allowed. It's under 100ml, there should't be any problem, and it's a personal care product. Aerosol's are allowed." She said, "no. look. It's an aerosol. Not allowed. It's explosive." I was continuing to try to explain when she just turned away from me and dumped it in the garbage and didn't even look back at me.

This specific product had a lid/cap with a safety lock which required a push and a turn to the right location in order to remove the cap.

I've never seen this. Is it within the security agent's discretion to dump any object without legitimate cause even if the item is on the list of permissible items allowed on carry-on? I assume they can do that? Is there anything I should do next time, or is it just a waste of time trying to negotiate this even if I bring along a list of the TSA permissible items from the TSA website.

There was no safety risk, and it's a permissible item. I am thinking the agent didn't understand the requirements correctly, since she also let me carry on a 150ml bottle of liquid spray deodorant which was in the same clear bag and that she visually and physically inspected. I would have been fine if she removed this as I know it's not allowed. However, she left it.

Thoughts?
Out of curiosity, did TSA give you an opportunity to do something else with the hair spray such as check it in your luggage (as if that was an option at that point) or was it just taken away?
petaluma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 16, 9:09 am   #22
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 24,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
Follow the link in post#2, read the footnotes, and you will see that this item is allowed by TSA. Once again, the problem is the incompetence seen far to often in TSA screeners.
(bolding mine)

Wrong.

"The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane."
chollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 16, 9:34 am   #23
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by chollie View Post
(bolding mine)

Wrong.

"The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane."

Guidance given to that screener, and all screeners, is that the item is allowed. Screener discretion is another problem. Far to many TSA screeners are ill equipped to use discretion properly.
Boggie Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 16, 9:47 am   #24
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 24,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
Guidance given to that screener, and all screeners, is that the item is allowed. Screener discretion is another problem. Far to many TSA screeners are ill equipped to use discretion properly.
I believe that TSA is gradually shifting away from saying that an item is 'allowed'. Most current wording seems to say that an item is 'generally allowed...but'.

You will notice that in my previous post, TSA has changed the wording slightly. It's no longer 'screener discretion', now it's just "TSA".

Subtle change, implying that if your valuables get confiscated, it's not a rogue screener (plus his LTSO, STSO and suit backing him up), it's the entire organization that is responsible for taking your valuables.

Meanwhile, AskTSA continues to provide contradictory answers. Peter Mayhew (and thousands of kids) might be interested to know that some AskTSA responders (and the out-of-date website) say that light sabers are not a real weapon and are allowed in carry-on.

Well, unless 'screener discretion' decides otherwise.

The more things changes, the more they remain the same.
chollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 16, 10:17 am   #25
  
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by chollie View Post
I believe that TSA is gradually shifting away from saying that an item is 'allowed'. Most current wording seems to say that an item is 'generally allowed...but'.

You will notice that in my previous post, TSA has changed the wording slightly. It's no longer 'screener discretion', now it's just "TSA".

Subtle change, implying that if your valuables get confiscated, it's not a rogue screener (plus his LTSO, STSO and suit backing him up), it's the entire organization that is responsible for taking your valuables.

Meanwhile, AskTSA continues to provide contradictory answers. Peter Mayhew (and thousands of kids) might be interested to know that some AskTSA responders (and the out-of-date website) say that light sabers are not a real weapon and are allowed in carry-on.

Well, unless 'screener discretion' decides otherwise.

The more things changes, the more they remain the same.
Speaking of wording changes, I posted this in another thread but it is relevant here also

Quote:
We ensure our people are mission-ready, expertly trained, & deliberately developed.
This in response to a question about why TSA had trainees in a PreCheck line.
petaluma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 16, 10:20 am   #26
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 24,690
Yeah, it's like the responses to complaints about rude agents or theft from baggage.

"This is not how our employees are expected to behave."

No 'retraining' nonsense, no "we'll follow up and get to the bottom of this and there will be consequences".

Just a tepid "oops, our bad".

It's interesting how often AskTSA declines to urge pax to submit complaints directly. Instead, AskTSA frequently says they will 'pass on' the pax reports of theft or rude behavior.

Shouldn't AskTSA encourage pax to report problems while simultaneously 'passing on' the complaints? Because we all know that 'passing on' is another way of saying "we're tossing your complaint in the bit-bucket".
chollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 16, 10:26 am   #27
  
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by chollie View Post
Yeah, it's like the responses to complaints about rude agents or theft from baggage.

"This is not how our employees are expected to behave."

No 'retraining' nonsense, no "we'll follow up and get to the bottom of this and there will be consequences".

Just a tepid "oops, our bad".

It's interesting how often AskTSA declines to urge pax to submit complaints directly. Instead, AskTSA frequently says they will 'pass on' the pax reports of theft or rude behavior.

Shouldn't AskTSA encourage pax to report problems while simultaneously 'passing on' the complaints? Because we all know that 'passing on' is another way of saying "we're tossing your complaint in the bit-bucket".
It seems as if AskTSA is providing a link to file a complaint less and less often. The gibberish about them "sharing" a passenger's concerns with their "team" is laughable. I would put money on their not sharing anything and even more money on the "team" in question not paying any attention to a passenger's concerns.
petaluma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 16, 12:46 pm   #28
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by petaluma1 View Post
It seems as if AskTSA is providing a link to file a complaint less and less often. The gibberish about them "sharing" a passenger's concerns with their "team" is laughable. I would put money on their not sharing anything and even more money on the "team" in question not paying any attention to a passenger's concerns.
The public has been "If you See Something Say Something" about TSA employees and practices but it seems that TSA leadership is deaf.
Boggie Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 17, 8:42 am   #29
  
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1
My wife and I had a similar incident at a small FL airport (ECP) this past Monday. I had a small wine corkscrew with attached 6/8" fold out blade for removing the plastic cap confiscated. I have traveled with this item for years and never had a problem, but in this case, the agent said no and was backed up by his supervisor after I protested. You are allowed scissors with a blade under 4" or a knitting needle, but not a wine opener blade under 1". I was told that regardless of the TSA published list of allowed/prohibited items or the fact that other locations might have allowed an item, the final decision rests with the on-site TSA agent.
Chevron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 17, 8:49 am   #30
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
My wife and I had a similar incident at a small FL airport (ECP) this past Monday. I had a small wine corkscrew with attached 6/8" fold out blade for removing the plastic cap confiscated. I have traveled with this item for years and never had a problem, but in this case, the agent said no and was backed up by his supervisor after I protested. You are allowed scissors with a blade under 4" or a knitting needle, but not a wine opener blade under 1". I was told that regardless of the TSA published list of allowed/prohibited items or the fact that other locations might have allowed an item, the final decision rests with the on-site TSA agent.
I think in this case the TSA screener was correct. The blade on the corkscrew was the problem.

https://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_r...arch=corkscrew

What is hard to understand is why the sharp corkscrew is ok but a tiny little blade is not.

Just TSA foolishness.
Boggie Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Thread Tools
Search Thread
Go to Top
Forum Jump
Contact Us - FlyerTalk - Archive - Top