Wiki Posts
Search

Proper way to walk through security?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Proper way to walk through security?

I was recently stopped and made to walk through the metal detector again. The agent said I was walking funny by taking large steps.

Do not goosestep. I didn't think I was.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:43 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Here's a tutorial:
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Funny clip and sad to think that they are now both gone. One of my favorite comedies.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Box10
I was recently stopped and made to walk through the metal detector again. The agent said I was walking funny by taking large steps.
Not just speed, my shoulders are wider than the metal detector so if I touch any part of it it alarms and you have to step back wait for reset and go thru again.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:58 am

Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Well there are lots of choices. You can walk this way:

You can walk like an Egyptian

You can walk like a man

If you're ready to immediately set right down, you can just walk right in

You can walk the line

You can do the walk of life

You can wear boots, if they're specially designed

Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Those are all very good, indeed, but to more accurately answer the question about how to go through metal detectors, one must watch "This is Spinal Tap" for the scene where Derek Smalls go through the metal detector

But my favorite (although I cant find a youtube clip for it) is the scene in "A Fish Called Wanda" when Otto takes his Walther P5 through, or rather, around, the metal detector.

Either of those methods, is how one should best go through a metal detector.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by Brighton Line
Not just speed, my shoulders are wider than the metal detector so if I touch any part of it it alarms and you have to step back wait for reset and go thru again.
Same here. Once I learned that touching the walls sets it off, I tried going through with my shoulder canted, one arm leading and one slightly trailing, thus zero chance of touching the wall. I got busted.

TSA clerk was upset and asked “Why are you trying to go through sideways?” and made me go again straight.

From research I learned that the detector is less sensitive in the middle. If you could go through sideways you could sneak a larger piece of metal through undetected. So they make you go through square and you just have to risk touching the wall. They don't allow tilting.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:44 am

Meh, I tilt all the time. At metal detectors, at the poker table, at windmills...

Seriously, I tilt through the WTMD everytime, to avoid brushing the sides. Nobody ever says anything. Anyone ever says anything? I'll go back and do it again (walk through tilted, I mean ).

Given the irrationality, inconsistency and general ill temperment of many of the TSOs I've encountered, if I worried about what was going to make them "upset", I'd have to avoid the airport altogether. Our mere existence makes some of them upset.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.