Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

DHS Agents Detain WSJ Reporter at LAX, Demand her Cellphones

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:52 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: oneword Emerald

CNN - Feds try to forcefully search Wall Street Journal reporter's phone

<snip>

Maria Abi-Habib, a reporter who covers the Middle East for the paper, detailed in a long Facebook post Thursday how Department of Homeland Security agents detained her in "a special section of LAX airport" to ask her questions.

<snip>

"They grilled me for an hour," she wrote. "I answered jovially, because I've had enough high-level security experiences to know that being annoyed or hostile will work against you." Abi-Habib said that the agents then asked for her cellphones in order to collect information. "That is where I drew the line," Abi-Habib wrote. "I told her I had First Amendment rights as a journalist she couldn't violate and I was protected under."

<snip>

Abi-Habib told the agents that they would have to call the Wall Street Journal's lawyers because the phones are the property of the newspaper. This led to the agent accusing her of "hindering the investigation." The agent left to speak with her supervisor, returning 30 minutes later to tell Abi-Habib that she was free to go.

<snip>
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
CBP picking its battles. Battling the WSJ doesn't sound like a big winner for a career bureaucrat of sorts, CBP included.

I'd be curious to know how frequently she's selected by DHS or ICTS for additional hassles on flights back to the US.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

may have only let her go without more hassles because someone was smart enough to realize bad press

i remember some security writers and military bloggers have been hassled because of MENA travel (where they are writing / embedded...) recall one questioned re "income"
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:08 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by GUWonder
CBP picking its battles. Battling the WSJ doesn't sound like a big winner for a career bureaucrat of sorts, CBP included.

I'd be curious to know how frequently she's selected by DHS or ICTS for additional hassles on flights back to the US.
Based upon her Facebook post, it would appear that this was the first time that she was targeted, at least upon entering the US:
Excerpt:
I landed at LA airport last Thursday to attend a wedding. I was standing in line for immigration when a DHS officer said "oh, there you are." I was puzzled. "I was trying to recognize you from your picture. I'm here to help you get through the line."

I asked a few questions, and she said that DHS had decided to pick me up when my name came in on the flight manifest (this is not uncommon, for countries to share passenger names). She didn't say whether the flight manifest was sent from Beirut, where I started my trip, or Frankfurt, where I hopped onto my connecting flight to LAX. The DHS agent went on to say she was there to help me navigate immigration because I am a journalist with The Wall Street Journal and have traveled to many dangerous places that are on the US' radar for terrorism. She independently knew who I worked for and my Twitter account, countries I'd reported from (like Iraq) and even recent articles I'd written -- I told her nothing about myself.

This didn't seem out of the ordinary at first -- I've had US Immigration officials tell me my name is on a special list that allows me to circumvent the questioning most would receive if they had a similar travel profile or internet print (talking to members of known terrorist groups). I travel to the US about twice a year and have always remarked on how smooth my experiences at Customs/Immigration are.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:46 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
So, what recent article did she write critical of the admin?
rickg523 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:21 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
may have only let her go without more hassles because someone was smart enough to realize bad press
This.

Joe Schmoe would have to give up his or her property to CBP.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 12:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TWA884
Based upon her Facebook post, it would appear that this was the first time that she was targeted, at least upon entering the US:
Excerpt:
That her CBP profile and ATS may get her moved along like me and spared being repeatedly hit with lots of questions on arrival to the US based on her travel history on file is one thing, but that doesn't mean she's been spared DHS or ICTS hassles on flights back to the US. The DHS or ICTS hassles given to her at the foreign airports for flights to the US are what I still want to know, as the article didn't cover it.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 1:34 pm

True you have to surrender you electronics to CBP at will, though you do not need to provide passwords, though you'll likely never see them again (either way).
Old Jul 29, 2016, 2:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by johnston21
though you'll likely never see them again (either way).
Sure you will. CBP officers need reasonable suspicion to seize electronic devices for a forensic search. They can ask for the password without any suspicion, and if you refuse, they may say "Then we'll seize it." In my experience, they will bluff and threaten seizure as a way to get you to answer questions or give up the password.

If they do seize it, they have to give it back fairly promptly, after a few days or maybe a couple of weeks.

This reporter should just refuse to answer CBP questions in the future. Based on my experience, they will stamp their feet and threaten to hold her for a long time and then let her go in an hour or so.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jphripjah
If they do seize it, they have to give it back fairly promptly, after a few days or maybe a couple of weeks.
You may get it back but don't be surprised if its been wiped clean.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 29, 2016 at 8:41 am Reason: Fix BB Code
Old Jul 29, 2016, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
You may get it back but don't be surprised if its been wiped clean.
It won't be wiped. It's more like "don't be surprised if there is monitoring software running on it."

I won't take electronics past customs that I can't afford to lose. If they seize it, I'll consider it "gone". If they force me to collect it, I'll put it in the recycle pile and never use it again. It is now an untrusted device.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by RandomNobody
It won't be wiped. It's more like "don't be surprised if there is monitoring software running on it."

I won't take electronics past customs that I can't afford to lose. If they seize it, I'll consider it "gone". If they force me to collect it, I'll put it in the recycle pile and never use it again. It is now an untrusted device.
Unless you have VERY good software to detect such things (and use it regularly) you should consider ALL your devices as untrusted devices. You have very little chance of knowing if someone or a government has installed surveillance software on your electronic device - many such installations no longer require physical proximity to the device.....
Old Aug 1, 2016, 8:36 am
Suspended

Very good software and hardware to check for data leaking vulnerabilities isn't the only way or even best way to protect information-holding devices' local information from those wanting prying eyes. But trusting electronic devices with connectivity capabilities indeed involves accepting some level of risk of data exposure whether aware of the risks or not. But physical surrender of devices providers a somewhat different risk profile than over the air exposure of the devices.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:53 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is some interesting insight into an electronic border search operation in 2015 at ORD:

http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/cgi-bi...:N:2310820:S:0

"Operation Culprit targeted certain individuals returning from three countries known to investigators for “sex tourism” and sex trafficking, including the sex trafficking of children. The investigators developed a list of initial criteria to identify individuals of interest to Operation Culprit: (1) U.S. citizen (2) men (3) between the ages of eighteen and fifty or sixty (4) returning from the Philippines, Thailand, or Cambodia (5) traveling alone (6) with a prior criminal history"

"In total, Operation Culprit investigators selected twenty-three or twenty-four individuals for secondary inspection from the two to three thousand passengers arriving on the targeted flights that day."
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari
Here is some interesting insight into an electronic border search operation in 2015 at ORD:

http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/cgi-bi...:N:2310820:S:0

"Operation Culprit targeted certain individuals returning from three countries known to investigators for “sex tourism” and sex trafficking, including the sex trafficking of children. The investigators developed a list of initial criteria to identify individuals of interest to Operation Culprit: (1) U.S. citizen (2) men (3) between the ages of eighteen and fifty or sixty (4) returning from the Philippines, Thailand, or Cambodia (5) traveling alone (6) with a prior criminal history"

"In total, Operation Culprit investigators selected twenty-three or twenty-four individuals for secondary inspection from the two to three thousand passengers arriving on the targeted flights that day."
I'd be interested in how many prosecutions this exercise netted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.