Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

US State Department's plan to launch online passport renewals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US State Department's plan to launch online passport renewals

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Section 107
This shouldn't be a problem - Virginia, and other states, have used online renewal of driver's licenses for years.
There certainly is precedent at the state and Federal level for the entry and transmission of sensitive information. We already have Internet submission and approval of driver's license renewal at the state level to the filing of Federal income tax. It can be done.

Last edited by Randyk47; Jul 19, 2016 at 4:55 am
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:20 am

online renewal would be nice. Shouldn't have to go thru so many Q& A at the locations like " why you need a passport" at passport agency location and "why did you go and where did you go at airport arrival"? It's a basic right and yes constitutional right and not up for debate!
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:11 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
online renewal would be nice. Shouldn't have to go thru so many Q& A at the locations like " why you need a passport" at passport agency location and "why did you go and where did you go at airport arrival"? It's a basic right and yes constitutional right and not up for debate!
They don't ask your questions when you do the current (mail-in) renewal process.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
They don't ask your questions when you do the current (mail-in) renewal process.
They did not ask me these questions even when I applied for the passport for the very first time.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by König
They did not ask me these questions even when I applied for the passport for the very first time.
Same here. Submitted the paperwork and the passport came in the mail. No interview, no conversation.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by König
I was a child when I got my first passport so I don't recall. When my wife got her first one there were no questions like that.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 4:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
When it comes to applying at US embassies/consulates, US passport agency offices, or US passport application acceptance facilities (such as many a post office), it's rare that such questions are asked. Do such questions get asked sometimes? Yes.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I last renewed in 2010 and had no such questions. I polled a number of colleagues and none of them were ever grilled about anything related to their old PP. I had a pleasant chat with a Post Office worker and done in 10 minutes
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
I've had a passport almost my whole life thanks to being born into a military family and then my own time with the Army so I'm on something like my fifth renewal. I don't remember the details of the first few but the last three I've handled myself through the mail and have never been questioned. Now I understand some folks have been questioned about their travel when being interviewed for whatever Trusted Traveller program they're enrolling in but neither my wife or I were asked about that even in light of fairly extensive International travel.

Last edited by Randyk47; Jul 20, 2016 at 7:56 am
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

When it comes to those questioned (by application accepting authorities) when it comes to passport applications, they tend to fit into some sort of very limited minority profile/criteria. That's why so very few people experience questions when it comes to these applications -- although if leaving something out on the applications, asking for expedited service of sorts, or seeking a secondary passport with two year validity, then there are somewhat increased chances of being asked questions.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:42 am
Suspended

So, basically make the form you mail in an electronic one and allow upload of your picture. That part makes sense.

Would you still need to mail in your old passport though?

If I need to mail it in, I actually don't mind also printing the form with it.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by greggarious
So, basically make the form you mail in an electronic one and allow upload of your picture. That part makes sense.

Would you still need to mail in your old passport though?

If I need to mail it in, I actually don't mind also printing the form with it.
Sending in the current/most recent passport would still be part of the process before being issued a valid renewal passport.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:53 pm
Suspended

So what is done online? Just the form? Could I upload a picture too?

Online seems like a strong word if all you do is fill in new address etc.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 5:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by greggarious
So what is done online? Just the form? Could I upload a picture too?

Online seems like a strong word if all you do is fill in new address etc.
Online photo uploading? Possibly. But by having the forms entered online by applicants, whether with online or offline photo uploading, the benefit being pursued is the benefit for the government.

The benefit of having to deal with fewer scanning and manual keyboard entry errors made by government employees, of needing fewer government employees for manual handling processes, of inhibiting fulfillment of applications despite applicant's errors and omissions.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Online photo uploading? Possibly. But by having the forms entered online by applicants, whether with online or offline photo uploading, the benefit being pursued is the benefit for the government.

The benefit of having to deal with fewer scanning and manual keyboard entry errors made by government employees, of needing fewer government employees for manual handling processes, of inhibiting fulfillment of applications despite applicant's errors and omissions.
This is what happens for the US Visa application process requires: it's all online, although in that case you still turn up in person for an interview and fingerprinting (physical photos are also accepted).

I know of at least one European country offering online national ID card applications (they produce a biometric ID that's good enough for travelling throughout EU/Schengen) - although you still have to collect the ID in person in country (their passports still have to be done using a physical application, I imagine primarily because of the thumbprint requirement).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.