Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

St. Jude patient in bloody takedown at checkpoint

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Jude patient in bloody takedown at checkpoint

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
In monitored detention facilities with controlled, moveable cameras, the cameras are sometimes directed elsewhere so that the planned/desired assault is not recorded on camera. Is that even possible in this incident?
For some of them, yes. TSA's standard CCTV MOU — available at https://s.ai/foia/#tsa — specifies which cameras are to be PTZ (pan/tilt/zoom) and which are to be fixed. The two videos I posted are one of each type, as it happens.

Also, per Memphis Airport's general counsel: "You got whatever video that exists to the best of our knowledge."

So, this is probably all the video that's going to be available. I'll still follow up w/ TSA of course (who've not responded to my FOIA or the lawsuit), but I don't expect anything further.

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 24, 2016 at 3:34 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Shame that TSA moves the young lady out of camera view a minute or so after the WBI.

Anyone else notice that almost everyone being screened by the WBI at this checkpoint required a pat down of some sort? Each and every pat down, in this video, is based on a false positives which is what started this whole mess for the young lady.

The core problem is that TSA is conducting additional screenings because of faulty or unsuitable equipment.
From either of these two videos you can see what the TSOs see on their monitor that causes them to require an additional search? That is truly impressive.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Section 107
From either of these two videos you can see what the TSOs see on their monitor that causes them to require an additional search? That is truly impressive.
Guess my vision isn't as good as yours. I can't see the Gumby screen image. Will look harder.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:52 pm

TSA filed motion to dismiss.

Updated my page on it. Haven't tl;dr'd TSA's MTD yet though.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saizai
TSA filed motion to dismiss.

Updated my page on it. Haven't tl;dr'd TSA's MTD yet though.
One of governments claims is that ADA does not apply to federal government. Is that correct?

Plaintiffs’ disability discrimination claims against TSA fail because the ADA does not apply to the federal government,
Old Sep 4, 2016, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
One of governments claims is that ADA does not apply to federal government. Is that correct?
It depends. Yes in some case, no on others. There's different sections to ADA and some do apply, some don't, and some only apply in certain situations.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Plaintiffs’ disability discrimination claims against TSA fail because the ADA does not apply to the federal government,
That's overbroad but in trying to find references to the TSA and the ADA, they don't seem to exist. What I can find states:

In light of the heightened security at the nation’s airports, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has taken steps to ensure that the rights of passengers with disabilities are protected.
https://www.access-board.gov/aba-enf...ther-resources

It seems to me that with that statement, the TSA has admitted that disabled passengers have rights. Where did those rights come from? The ADA?

However, the TSA Cares page doesn't say word one about complying with the ADA.

I'm sure Sai can answer any questions about the TSA and the ADA.

In other reading of the motion to dismiss, I note that the government says:

who purports to have physical and mental impairments
- Good Christmas that was a dumb thing to include when it can easily be proven that she has physical and mental impairments. So typical of TSA to denigrate.

Also, TSA claims that Hannah did not

Plaintiffs have failed to state a cognizable claim under the Rehabilitation Act
Further in the document it is written:

Plaintiffs also fail to state a viable Rehabilitation Act because they have failed to show that

Hannah Cohen was meaningfully excluded from the security screening process,
What does the Rehabilitation Act have to do with getting through security at the airport? Again, perhaps Sai can explain.

Last edited by petaluma1; Sep 4, 2016 at 9:58 am
Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
What does the Rehabilitation Act have to do with getting through security at the airport? Again, perhaps Sai can explain.

Simply put: the Rehab Act provides that the federal government and its contractors cannot discriminate against someone by denying a service (or employment) because the person has disabilities and the facilities of the government or contractor prevent the person from accessing the service (or employment).

Put another way: if entry to building can be achieved only by a flight of stairs and a person who can only move about via a wheelchair wishes to use a service in the building, then the federal government must rehab the building to accommodate the person or make other reasonable accommodation to ensure the person can access the service.

In this case, the guvmint's defense is that Hannah was not denied access to the screening checkpoint and therefore no claim under the Rehab Act is possible.

The ADA does NOT apply to the Executive branch of the Federal Government because the Rehab Act applies to the Executive. However, the ADA does apply to the Legislative Branch.

The government's lawyers not so subtly say that the Cohen's lawyers are a bunch of incompetent boobs and have completely screwed their clients with this amateurish and premature filing. I do hope we get to read the plaintiff's response to this MTD.

Last edited by Section 107; Sep 6, 2016 at 10:10 am
Old Sep 6, 2016, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Simply put: the Rehab Act provides that the federal government and its contractors cannot discriminate against someone by denying a service (or employment) because the person has disabilities and the facilities of the government or contractor prevent the person from accessing the service (or employment).

Put another way: if entry to building can be achieved only by a flight of stairs and a person who can only move about via a wheelchair wishes to use a service in the building, then the federal government must rehab the building to accommodate the person or make other reasonable accommodation to ensure the person can access the service.

In this case, the guvmint's defense is that Hannah was not denied access to the screening checkpoint and therefore no claim under the Rehab Act is possible.

The ADA does NOT apply to the Executive branch of the Federal Government because the Rehab Act applies to the Executive. However, the ADA does apply to the Legislative Branch.

The government's lawyers not so subtly say that the Cohen's lawyers are a bunch of incompetent boobs and have completely screwed their clients with this amateurish and premature filing. I do hope we get to read the plaintiff's response to this MTD.
Are the lawyers for Cohen incompetent?
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:53 am

Are the lawyers for Cohen incompetent?
Well, it appears to me (and I might be wrong) but the guvmint says plaintiff's lawyers are 1) not all clear which entities are being accused of violating which laws; 2) making a claim under ADA which states an executive agency is not subject to the ADA, 3) making a claim for monetary damages which is not allowable the law, and 4) did not follow the simple administrative procedures as stated by the law which means not only is the claim unallowable but the claim cannot now be made under the admin procedures nor brought up again in court.

If the gubmint is correct then it sure seems the Cohen's received some piss poor advice and could have selected more competent counsel.

But one filing does not a career make.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, it appears to me (and I might be wrong) but the guvmint says plaintiff's lawyers are 1) not all clear which entities are being accused of violating which laws; 2) making a claim under ADA which states an executive agency is not subject to the ADA, 3) making a claim for monetary damages which is not allowable the law, and 4) did not follow the simple administrative procedures as stated by the law which means not only is the claim unallowable but the claim cannot now be made under the admin procedures nor brought up again in court.

If the gubmint is correct then it sure seems the Cohen's received some piss poor advice and could have selected more competent counsel.

But one filing does not a career make.

Shouldn't Cohen or any other person expect their counsel to take the time to understand a case, determine what laws may apply, and then evaluate the likelihood for success if the client decides to move forward? Just throwing stuff out to see what sticks seems misguided and costly to Cohen unless the case was handled on a contingent basis.

That would seem a reasonable starting point to me.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
I'm sure Sai can answer any questions about the TSA and the ADA.
Broadly speaking:

Rehab Act applies to the feds and any program funded by the feds.
ADA applies to non-feds, including non-fed cops.
ACAA applies to stuff on planes.

Airports are covered by a mix of all three, depending on exactly who did what with whose money in what part of the airport. (It's a mess.)

However, the screening part is easy enough. TSA is feds, so Rehab Act only. Cops are non-feds, so ADA only.

TSA screening is a federal "program or activity" per the Rehab Act, under which you have a right to access that program (i.e. to be screened) w/ reasonable accommodations for disabilities.

If feds act as agents for non-feds, or vice versa, then there can be cross-application. E.g. if the cops help TSA conduct the screening program, or get money from the feds — rather than just enforcing state/local law — then they can be on the hook for a Rehab Act claim.

TSA has always maintained in court that cops are totally independent of them and only enforce state law on their own decision-making, and that TSA never engages in law enforcement motivated activity. That's basically the thing you'd have to disprove to get cross-application.

The differences between Rehab Act & ADA are pretty technical though. They have fundamentally similar requirements (basically: you have to reasonably accommodate disabilities). It changes all the case law, legal standards, various subtle things, etc. Hard to summarize.

- Good Christmas that was a dumb thing to include when it can easily be proven that she has physical and mental impairments. So typical of TSA to denigrate.
The legal question isn't whether she actually has impairments per se, but whether
a) she was "perceived" as disabled at the time
b) the agents knew or should have known that she was actually disabled and needed reasonable accommodations

E.g. if you have a disability that nobody knows about, and you don't tell them, and you don't ask for an accommodation, (ETA: and it's not something they have to do anyway without being told about your particular situation) then they're not on the hook for accommodating it. (However, they are on the hook if they hurt you from some otherwise unlawful action. "Eggshell" doctrine.)

Architecture has various grandfathering clauses under both, if it was built pre-enactment. That also has caveats (they still have to accommodate), just not necessarily by making structural renovations (like ramps) that would otherwise be required were it built today.

That's not quite the claim. They say that she wasn't denied accommodations. "Access" here isn't just "can you reach the checkpoint"; it also means "can you be screened".

However, the ADA does apply to the Legislative Branch.
Not really relevant except if you want to sue a congresscritter for employment discrimination…

To be fair, they always say that. A demurrer is pretty much always the first response.

I'll post all the filings as I see 'em. I am monitoring the case, but I'm not on the NEF list.

I'm going to refrain from publicly commenting on the substance of the case, as I have privately made suggestions to Cohen's counsel.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 6:11 pm

Case updates:
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:53 pm

Case updates:
  • 2016-09-21 35 Minute Entry for proceedings held before Judge Sheryl H. Lipman: Scheduling Conference held on 9/21/2016. Kelly Pearson and William Hardwick appearing for the Plaintiffs. James Cresswell and Samuel Keenan Carter for the Defendants. 34 Joint Motion to Stay the Court's ADR Requirements denied - order to be entered. Non-Jury Trial set for Monday, 10/16/2017 at 9:00 AM in Courtroom 4 - Memphis before Judge Sheryl H. Lipman. Trial is estimated to last 2-3 days. Pretrial Conference set for Friday, 10/6/2017 at 9:00 AM in Courtroom 4 - Memphis before Judge Sheryl H. Lipman. Proposed Joint Pretrial Order due by 9/29/2017. Scheduling Order to be entered. (Court Reporter Brenda Parker.) (jpw) (Entered: 09/21/2016)
  • 2016-09-21 36 Court Setting letter, 37 Order denying motion to stay ADR 34, 39 Scheduling order
  • 2016-09-21 38 MSCAA Corrected (unredacted) exhibit 20-1, 21-1

38 is in response to my intervention as member of the press, 30-32 (above).

Maybe now they'll have to pay me the 10 bucks or so it cost me to have it mailed, or answer to why their records custodian lied under oath about having submitted a true copy of the record.

FWIW, I did ask them nicely first to just fix it, but they ignored me. Ah, well.

(And yes, it is pretty trivial that he redacted that TSA paid $48k/yr for janitorial services. But it's still perjury and altering an official record.)

Last edited by saizai; Sep 21, 2016 at 9:04 pm
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:50 pm

2016-9-23 Cohen 40 Response in agreement with MIAPD MJP 23, 40-1 Memorandum;
41 Opposition to MSCAA MJP 22, 41-1 Memorandum;
42 Opposition to TSA MTD 28

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.