Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

St. Jude patient in bloody takedown at checkpoint

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:01 am
Original Poster

http://wreg.com/2016/06/30/disabled-...irport-police/

Cohen told us she tried to tell TSA agents her daughter is partially deaf, blind in one eye, paralyzed, and easily confused, but said she was kept at a distance by police.

“She's trying to get away from them but in the next instant, one of them had her down on the ground and hit her head on the floor. There was blood everywhere,” said Cohen.
All charges thrown out.

Mods: can the title of this thread be changed to "St. Jude Patient..............." rather than passenger?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 1:11 pm

I've pulled the docket and first amended complaint. They'll be tracked in my case folder for Cohen v TSA together with any updated filings. (Give it a bit to sync.)

I've also FOIA'd everything involved.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 1:23 pm

How disgusting.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: Spire Amb IHG, HH Gold, TR Diamond, Mlife Plat, National Exec, Avis Pref Plus
That is absolutely brutal and disgusting.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I didn't watch the video - mainly because my blood pressure won't take it - but did actual screeners physically grab her? Or the police? Screeners are not allowed to be grabbing or tackling passengers - I am trying to sort out what happened here and still keep calm.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:29 pm

MEM denied my Tennessee FOIA request because I'm not a Tennessee citizen and the TN law only applies to TN citizens. If you are one and willing to help get this released, please contact me. ETA: Done via MuckRock:
https://www.muckrock.com/foi/memphis...cuments-26634/
https://www.muckrock.com/foi/memphis...cuments-26635/

I'm simultaneously pursuing federal FOIA, but I would bet against getting anything from TSA without two years and litigation … whereas the state might be much more responsive.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I didn't watch the video
They didn't post any AFAIK.

did actual screeners physically grab her? Or the police?
Not clear to me based on the complaint.

Last edited by saizai; Jul 5, 2016 at 4:17 am
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
An infuriating story, to say the least, but let's be sure to get the facts straight:

1) This happened on June 30, 2015. The story regained prominence today because the lawsuit was filed on June 30, 2016.

2) It was not TSOs who brutalized this young woman, it was the MEM airport police. Whether the police were called to the c/p by TSA, or whether they happened to be on station there, was not mentioned in the story.

I am fully on this woman's side in this case, but like any case I'm sure that the mom is leaving out a few salient points. I want to see the video of this incident; I'm sure it will be incredibly damning to everyone in a uniform, be it TSA or MEM PD, but I prefer to have all available facts before making a final judgement.

The lawsuit is somewhat vague on details and timeline. The video, if Sai's FOIA request is able to procure it, should fill in the blanks.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saizai
MEM denied my Tennessee FOIA request because I'm not a Tennessee citizen and the TN law only applies to TN citizens. If you are one and willing to help get this released, please contact me.

I'm simultaneously pursuing federal FOIA, but I would bet against getting anything from TSA without two years and litigation … whereas the state might be much more responsive.

Can you give us a link to the complaint? I can't find it in your first comment.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:18 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by petaluma1
There is a link to the complaint in the article that you posted in the first message of this thread.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
There is a link to the complaint in the article that you posted in the first message of this thread.
For some reason, I can't open it.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:46 pm

My google drive is still synching due to an unrelated issue. Give it to tomorrow and it'll be in the folder I linked.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

My google drive is still synching due to an unrelated issue. Give it to tomorrow and it'll be in the folder I linked.
Thank you, Sai.

From @AskTSA:

Reports on the unfortunate situation in Memphis are inaccurate. Police responded when the passenger refused screening or to leave.
Let's see a show of hand from those who believe this. TSA blaming the passenger again for a bad outcome.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I didn't watch the video - mainly because my blood pressure won't take it - but did actual screeners physically grab her? Or the police? Screeners are not allowed to be grabbing or tackling passengers - I am trying to sort out what happened here and still keep calm.
According to Reason.com, it was the TSA agents who took her down:

That's when the situation between Hannah and the TSA officials became violent:

"She's trying to get away from them but in the next instant, one of them had her down on the ground and hit her head on the floor. There was blood everywhere,"
http://reason.com/blog/2016/07/01/ts...n-returning-ho

Of course, TSA claims it didn't happen that way.

Last edited by essxjay; Jul 6, 2016 at 9:20 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old Jul 1, 2016, 7:31 pm

MEM denied my Tennessee FOIA request because I'm not a Tennessee citizen and the TN law only applies to TN citizens. If you are one and willing to help get this released, please contact me.

Do you think if you posted to the television station's Facebook, perhaps the station, or an infuriated viewer would file the Tennessee request if you posted step-by-step instructions?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posting to follow this thread. Sorry, on phone and couldn't figure out how to just subscribe.

Like others, I feel like there are many, many missing pieces to this story. I'm trying to reserve judgment until more is known/confirmed.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 7:38 am

My gdrive is synced. Here's the folder, and here's a direct link to the first amended complaint.

I need a Tennessee citizen to help with the state level FOIA. ETA: Done via MuckRock:
https://www.muckrock.com/foi/memphis...cuments-26634/
https://www.muckrock.com/foi/memphis...cuments-26635/

Getting it from TSA will probably take a year + litigation. I'm planning to sue them under FOIA shortly anyway, so will include this, but state would probably be much faster. Also, TSA may not have some records, e.g. police report, that state does.

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
Do you think if you posted to the television station's Facebook, perhaps the station, or an infuriated viewer would file the Tennessee request if you posted step-by-step instructions?
Any Tennessee citizen interested, just contact me. I can provide a document that just requires inputting your own info as the requester.

Might also be helpful to track down any news stories from last year. I've not done that yet.

From @AskTSA:

> Reports on the unfortunate situation in Memphis are inaccurate. Police responded when the passenger refused screening or to leave.

Let's see a show of hand from those who believe this. TSA blaming the passenger again for a bad outcome.
My interpretation of the complaint is that the TSA interpreted Hannah Cohen's reaction as refusing to be screened, TSA called cops on her, the cops resisted her for "causing a disturbance" or the like and arrested her using force (probably a takedown to the ground) for "resisting".

I've looked at the Shelby County criminal records search and found no indictments filed against either plaintiff. Could be that the search sucks (the website is horribly coded); could be that they didn't record it because there was an arrest but no actual charges filed. The complaint says the daughter was "arraigned", but it may have been dropped before there was an indictment.

I'll follow up w/ the criminal court clerk after the weekend, but again this is something for which a Tennessee citizen would be very helpful.

According to Reason.com, it was the TSA agents who took her down
Both Reason and RawStory are pure reposts of the WREG post. It has no new information.

BTW I diffed the original & amended complaints; the amendment only changes typos of the TSA's name.

Last edited by essxjay; Jul 6, 2016 at 9:22 pm Reason: Derogatory reference

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.