Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

DHS proposes requesting social media identifiers on I-94 and ESTA forms

Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus

From the Federal Register

DHS proposes to add the following question to ESTA and to Form I-94W:
“Please enter information associated with your online presence—Provider/Platform—Social media identifier.” It will be an optional data field to request social media identifiers to be used for vetting purposes, as well as applicant contact information. Collecting social media data will enhance the existing investigative process and provide DHS greater clarity and visibility to possible nefarious activity and connections by providing an additional tool set which analysts and investigators may use to better analyze and investigate the case.

Link
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:53 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Well, I have 'fake' profiles which I use for non-personal stuff so I wouldn't really mind giving some 'identifiers' - however they will probably cause me to be flagged for having non-typical profiles (i.e. mostly spam)

I'm surprised at the number of people who still only have one email address which they use for all purposes
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:16 pm

Similar questions soon to come to PreCheck/TSA. Set your alter ego accounts up now.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 3:00 pm

Angry

If this would not bring down tourism to USA. Well then I do not know what. People post very private things on their social media. my family would not ever comply with this from Europe at all. Neither do I want them to do that.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Why not just add a few questions along the lines of

"Are you a terrorist?"
"Do you have a bomb on you?"
"Do you plan to hijack the plane?"
"Have you killed anyone in the last 12 months?"

I mean, really, are people going to provide that info? "Yeah, I'm DickFitzwell on Tinder. Look me up. Also, PhilButz on Grinder and LovesKittens221 on Snapchat."
Old Jun 24, 2016, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by catocony

"Are you a terrorist?"

I mean, really, are people going to provide that info? "Yeah, I'm DickFitzwell on Tinder. Look me up. Also, PhilButz on Grinder and LovesKittens221 on Snapchat."
Yes really. A few years ago I sent a package from SO. ca to Sweden. I got asked if I sent explosives/poison in my package.
One lady behind said "great they ask questions". I told that no real terrorist would say YES.
She looked at me and said YES. How stupid are people.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus

"Are you a terrorist?"

Actually, questions like that are already asked as part f the ESTA application and I-94W forms:

Do you seek to engage or have you ever engaged in terrorist activities, espionage, sabotage or genocide?
Have you ever been or are you now involved in espionage or sabotage; or in terrorist activities; or genocide or between 1933 and 1945 were involved, in any way, in persecutions associated with Nazi Germany or its allies?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 4:37 pm

I always thought those questions are there simply to catch people in a lie, so they can kick them out later.

I can see what DHS wants to do here but I sincerely doubt it would catch any terrorist..while alienating America's allies.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...net-usage.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...-visitors.html
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I always thought those questions are there simply to catch people in a lie, so they can kick them out later.
Yes, this is precisely the reason why they ask this type of questions.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:35 am

FYI, this is now open to online comments. The federal register page is not updated to reflect it yet, but you can find it here:

https://www.regulations.gov/document...2007-0102-0016
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:31 am
Suspended

Don't have any social media accounts (do forums count?) and only Phone/Text/iMessage/EMail. I suspect that will cause an issue or at-least a question about by honesty when I say I don't have any accounts.

Last edited by FlyerTalker68098; Jul 1, 2016 at 11:40 am
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
IMHO a step too far that does nothing to enhance security.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:44 pm

Not directly on the travel point, but FYI this is one of the changes being considered for the security clearance process for federal employees / military members: anyone with a clearance would be required to disclose all publically-accessible social media locations at which they post any content, and their specific identities at those locations.

I.e., I would have to tell the government that I am "flyerguy99" at flyertalk.com, "GoBollWeevils88" at ESPN.com, "SomeRandomDude" at Twitter, "OakStreetFred&Nancy" on the Bucolic Estates neighborhood association bulletin board, and so on. Possibly even with constant updates required, so I guess if i later post an ad for my garage sale on Craigslist, I'd have to add that ID. Oh yeah, not to mention pointing your friendly local security office at your Match, Tinder/Grinder, or AdultFriendFinder.com accounts....

Details are still non-existent, not least being what counts as 'social media'. But the intent specified by Congress is to move to 'continuous monitoring' of social media activity by federal employees, contractor employees, military members.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:17 am

"Are you a terrorist?"

Don't forget PM_ME_YOUR_ANUS_PICS on Reddit!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.