Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA to undergo covert security tests this summer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This may rate its own thread but could certainly have a major impact on TSA Screening Wait Times and Lines.

http://thehill.com/policy/transporta...ts-this-summer

The inspector general of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is planning another round of covert security audits at airports around the country this summer as the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) also scrambles to alleviate massive security checkpoint lines.
Other bits of info in the article.

Neffenger has retrained all of TSA.
Managed Inclusion has ended.
TSA is in a better place.

How can government employees spout this kind of nonsense and retain an integrity clearance?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
This may rate its own thread but could certainly have a major impact on TSA Screening Wait Times and Lines.

How can government employees spout this kind of nonsense and retain an integrity clearance?
Neffenger has retrained all of TSA in how to slow down the process. (I guess now it won't be necessary for all screeners to go to Georgia if they have been retrained.)

Managed Inclusion has NOT ended if TSA is still allowing people into Pre who haven't paid

If TSA is in a "better place" (isn't that often said of the dead who have suffered?) then why is the blog/Ask TSA on a real PR blitz?

Last edited by petaluma1; Jun 7, 2016 at 3:40 pm
Old Jun 7, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We, the People, will pay dearly for this.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 3:07 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
This may rate its own thread...
It does.

TWA884
Co-moderator, Travel Safety/Security
Old Jun 7, 2016, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Is it really covert when the general timeframe is known?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Do you want them to 'pass' (bonuses all around) or do you want more of the nonsense we've had this past spring?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
We, the People, will pay dearly for this.
The TSA will pay a higher one. Although I will say, in :my last few flights these past months I've never seen better TSA behavior, in the airports I've used. Maybe I'm just lucky
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Any time the TSA pays for anything it's the people paying one way or another. Either with taxes or liberties.

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
The TSA will pay a higher one. Although I will say, in :my last few flights these past months I've never seen better TSA behavior, in the airports I've used. Maybe I'm just lucky
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:23 pm

Good grief could thehill reporting be any worse? Here is the opening statement from a GOA report published Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Limiting the use of Managed Inclusion to airports that employ canine teams to detect explosives; and,
• Developing plans to test the security effectiveness of the Managed Inclusion process as an overall system–ensuring that the testing adheres to established design practices.

And from page 11 of the report:

"TSA documentation shows that TSA discontinued the use of Explosives Trace Detection (ETD) devices as a method used to conduct real time threat assessments and is now limiting the use of Managed Inclusion to airports that employed canine team to detect explosives."

Managed Inclusion continues, dogs have replaced the ETD machines.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:19 am

Back to
ended the practice of randomly selecting passengers for expedited screening lanes,
According to TSA they never did "randomly" select passengers for Pre; pax were selected by alleged observation of their behaviors while standing in line - that's not random.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
There have been a few comments at AskTSA about improvement of screener behavior.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Back to

According to TSA they never did "randomly" select passengers for Pre; pax were selected by alleged observation of their behaviors while standing in line - that's not random.
TSA also shunts some handicapped pax to the PreCheck lines. I would imagine that it's done for TSA convenience, rather than pax convenience, but sometimes you gotta take what little crumbs you can get.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by gingersnaps
Good grief could thehill reporting be any worse? Here is the opening statement from a GOA report published Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Limiting the use of Managed Inclusion to airports that employ canine teams to detect explosives; and,
• Developing plans to test the security effectiveness of the Managed Inclusion process as an overall system–ensuring that the testing adheres to established design practices.

And from page 11 of the report:

"TSA documentation shows that TSA discontinued the use of Explosives Trace Detection (ETD) devices as a method used to conduct real time threat assessments and is now limiting the use of Managed Inclusion to airports that employed canine team to detect explosives."

Managed Inclusion continues, dogs have replaced the ETD machines.
If that is true, then everyone who passes the sniff test should be allowed into the PreCheck line and there is absolutely no evidence that this is happening.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I'd like to see the results of the tests in Pre lanes vs. non-Pre lanes.

For that matter, I'd like to see results from the same airport, first during regular practices, secondly, with all TSO cellphone use and private conversation prohibited.

I'm betting that screeners who are not distracted by their cellphones or personal conversations (whether they are engaging in them or trying to tune them out to focus on the task at hand) would perform better.

I'd be ticked if I walked into Starbucks and the barista was trying to play on his cellphone and engage in uninterrupted personal conversation while processing my order. I expect no less when aviation security and my life are supposedly at stake.

I read a response to a complaint about the 'thousands standing around' playing with their cellphones and engaging in distracting personal conversations. The (dishonest) reply was that these are all TSOs on break.

If they're on break, get out of the checkpoint area. Stop distracting the TSOs who are actually working (as well as the BDOs, LTSOs and STSOs who are not).

Of course, when I'm standing waiting for the go-ahead at the NoS because the TSO is finishing a personal conversation or I'm waiting for the TDC to finish something on his cellphone, it's perfectly clear the TSO is not on break.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
I'd like to see the results of the tests in Pre lanes vs. non-Pre lanes.

For that matter, I'd like to see results from the same airport, first during regular practices, secondly, with all TSO cellphone use and private conversation prohibited.

I'm betting that screeners who are not distracted by their cellphones or personal conversations (whether they are engaging in them or trying to tune them out to focus on the task at hand) would perform better.

I'd be ticked if I walked into Starbucks and the barista was trying to play on his cellphone and engage in uninterrupted personal conversation while processing my order. I expect no less when aviation security and my life are supposedly at stake.

I read a response to a complaint about the 'thousands standing around' playing with their cellphones and engaging in distracting personal conversations. The (dishonest) reply was that these are all TSOs on break.

If they're on break, get out of the checkpoint area. Stop distracting the TSOs who are actually working (as well as the BDOs, LTSOs and STSOs who are not).

Of course, when I'm standing waiting for the go-ahead at the NoS because the TSO is finishing a personal conversation or I'm waiting for the TDC to finish something on his cellphone, it's perfectly clear the TSO is not on break.
If you read the same comment I read, the reponse from AskTSA was that the screeners were on break, OJT, between shifts "or on a security assignment that we don't disclose to the public."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.