Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Delta Has The Solution For Long TSA Lines at SEA [CLEAR]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Has The Solution For Long TSA Lines at SEA [CLEAR]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Question Delta Has The Solution For Long TSA Lines at SEA [CLEAR]

They've made an equity investment in CLEAR, and apparently SeaTac is next on the list - see towards the end of the story.

This is absolutely ludicrous - the space required to deploy CLEAR, for the single-digit-hundreds of daily users that benefit will compound the problems - there's simply not enough room to implement CLEAR, and all airport users unwilling or unable to spring $180 year for cut-the-line privileges suffer.

CLEAR card users would be the first to have their heads hit the wicker basket if the guillotine came back into popular use.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0YP0DZ
Old Jun 3, 2016, 4:39 pm

does CLEAR eliminate the TDC, WTMD, AIT, xray? If not, there is no advantage to CLEAR. While has a separate lane to TSA, if everyone signed up for CLEAR the wait is now the CLEAR lines.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

The front of the line privileges certainly benefit the subscriber - the problem I have is that it's not just "everybody gets delayed by the CLEARgeoisie", it's that there's no space to deploy the CLEAR lanes at SEA - it comes out of the already-crowded space that the building envelope provides.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:07 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
CLEAR doesn't take much room at SFO, I don't see how it would be much worse at SEA. It's pretty much 2 electronic kiosks and an attendant. There's plenty of space at the central checkpoint beside the Precheck lines, although I can see there being a lack of space at the A-gate checkpoint, no idea about the ones towards the north.

The people I know who pay for CLEAR find it amazing. There's little value for me given I have PRE, thanks to which I often get an almost empty line at SFO, and the SEA lines are usually short too for the times I fly.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:50 am

Based on an article on lasvegasnow, which is promoting CLEAR as a means to reduce wait times.

However it appears that CLEAR will INCREASE waittimes. The article informs:

"CLEAR is a paid-service...that uses biometric technology to identify passengers. Once the passengers are identified through fingerprint and eye scans that take two to three minutes, they're ushered right past the I.D. check portion of TSA."

2 to 3 minutes per person to skip TDC? So 30 people waiting for CLEAR means the last person waits an hour?

Last edited by gingersnaps; Jul 28, 2016 at 9:09 am
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by gingersnaps
Based on an article on lasvegasnow, which is promoting CLEAR as a means to reduce wait times.

"CLEAR is a paid-service...that uses biometric technology to identify passengers. Once the passengers are identified through fingerprint and eye scans that take two to three minutes, they're ushered right past the I.D. check portion of TSA."

2 to 3 minutes per person to skip TDC? So 30 people waiting for CLEAR means the last person waits an hour?
I don't know but I'd bet that the 2-3 minute figure is for initial signup, not for each time someone is subsequently recgnized.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 11:12 am

When Clear first came in, it was supposed to transform into a trusted traveler program - much like TSA Pre with no need to take off shoes, etc. That never happened.

Given that is not a trusted traveler program - I don't understand the public policy rationale of allowing people to the head of the line simply because they pay money to a private company for no other purpose than going to the head of the line.

The Clear rep in the Reuters article in the initial post analogized to a toll road - and absurd analogy. A toll road usually has construction and maintenance costs which are paid down by the tolls. Clear, on the other hand, simply takes money to get you to the head of the already existing path.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Given that is not a trusted traveler program - I don't understand the public policy rationale of allowing people to the head of the line simply because they pay money to a private company for no other purpose than going to the head of the line.
TSA's publicly stated policy is that "the line" is under the control of the airport, not the TSA itself, and that how the airport manages that line before passengers reach the TDC is out of its control. At that point, it's just one more service that passengers may choose to purchase, at differential rates (e.g. onsite parking).

Whether or not that's really the way it works in practice, and whether or not it makes any sense, are left as exercises for the reader.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:58 pm

I think that is "the line" with respect to airline elite lines, etc.

However, I don't think that would be the official position re Clear - as Clear gets you past the TSA ID checker, and perhaps even further than that (I'm not sure if you get to jump ahead of people waiting on the other side of the UD checker.)

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
TSA's publicly stated policy is that "the line" is under the control of the airport, not the TSA itself, and that how the airport manages that line before passengers reach the TDC is out of its control. At that point, it's just one more service that passengers may choose to purchase, at differential rates (e.g. onsite parking).

Whether or not that's really the way it works in practice, and whether or not it makes any sense, are left as exercises for the reader.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I don't know but I'd bet that the 2-3 minute figure is for initial signup
Initial setup actually takes 5-10 minutes--you need to verify your identity, scan your ID, then scan fingers, thumbs, and eyes.

After you're in the system, it takes approximately 20 seconds to scan my boarding pass and fingerprints.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:02 am

I used Clear about 10 years ago to bypass the stockyards at DEN, and it took considerably less than 2-3 minutes to clear their ID check and move on to the TSA scanners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.