Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

IF TSA is able to get 10-15 million more enrolled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Will they then make the screening process more onerous on enrollees, i.e., more people through scanners, more groin checks, more laptops out of bags?

I think it's pretty certain that those not enrolled will get a more onerous screening, but also believe that TSA will change the rules for Pre also.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Will they then make the screening process more onerous on enrollees, i.e., more people through scanners, more groin checks, more laptops out of bags?

I think it's pretty certain that those not enrolled will get a more onerous screening, but also believe that TSA will change the rules for Pre also.
I'm pretty sure that if too many people participate in DHS "Trusted Traveler" programs then at some point these programs will turn many "trusted travelers" into "less trusted travelers" and make the screening process worse for more passengers when/if the DHS resources allow for it to be done and sustained.

"Starve the (DHS) Beast"? That is just about the only way most all of the current lot of "Trusted Travelers" will keep what they have today.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I'm pretty sure that if too many people participate in DHS "Trusted Traveler" programs then at some point these programs will turn many "trusted travelers" into "less trusted travelers" and make the screening process worse for more passengers when/if the DHS resources allow for it to be done and sustained.

"Starve the (DHS) Beast"? That is just about the only way most all of the current lot of "Trusted Travelers" will keep what they have today.
We're eventually going to arrive at Nappy's 'points system'. Each time we fly, our 'profile' will be reviewed. Nappy's proposed system for ranking citizens was even more ridiculous than the BDO handbook. IIRC, ordering a special airline meal generated points on a profile - someone ordering a special meal is someone who stands out, someone who might be a problem, someone who might be ordering a halal meal, and we all know what that means. The idea, of course, was that once you racked up points, you were considered suspicious and were treated that way.

Like the Stasi and our current no-fly lists, there was zero visibility and virtually no way to challenge and correct misinformation on file.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:27 am

TSA already randomly makes entire lanes of Pre pax follow regular procedures: disrobing and unpacking.

Meanwhile, the TSOs scream and bark at Pre pax for not being prepared to disrobe and unpack, thus slowing the line down.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:41 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by chollie
TSA already randomly makes entire lanes of Pre pax follow regular procedures: disrobing and unpacking.
On the two occasions, out of over 100 flights as a PreCheck, that I was randomly picked to pass through the body scanner instead of the WTMD, I was allowed to keep my jacket and shoes on. Once, at a PreCheck light line, my 11" computer was taken out of my rollaboard and swabbed, that was after the bag was X-rayed.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:54 am

I move slowly. I always prepare before I get in line - any line. That includes taking my shoes off so I don't hold everyone up. I take them off and put them on top of my rollaboard before I even get in line.

I got selected for Pre. I got to the xray, put my shoes on the belt, and the belt stops. The belt monitor holds up the entire line because....this is the Pre line and shoes do NOT come off unless they alarm or a TSO advises you to take them off. So everyone stands there while I awkwardly struggle to get my shoes back on and then the belt starts up again.

This was just petty nonsense. "Screener discretion".

Paid Pre folks have been complaining in recent months about a new twist.. The lanes are open - yay! - but laptops/LGAs still have to be removed and apparently, sometimes even shoes, belts and jackets. Part of the 'consistent inconsistency', but it does make it completely impossible to budget airport time efficiently. If you are a Pre pax, you do not know if Pre will be available and you do not know if it will be the expedited experience you paid for if it is available.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:09 am
Original Poster

We're eventually going to arrive at Nappy's 'points system'. Each time we fly, our 'profile' will be reviewed. Nappy's proposed system for ranking citizens was even more ridiculous than the BDO handbook. IIRC, ordering a special airline meal generated points on a profile - someone ordering a special meal is someone who stands out, someone who might be a problem, someone who might be ordering a halal meal, and we all know what that means. The idea, of course, was that once you racked up points, you were considered suspicious and were treated that way.

Like the Stasi and our current no-fly lists, there was zero visibility and virtually no way to challenge and correct misinformation on file.
They are doing this already to both PreCheck-blessed and the unwashed.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:21 am

They are doing this already to both PreCheck-blessed and the unwashed.
Yeah, but Nappy's version was going to include a check of your 'points' profile to determine how rigorous your screening would be.

Ordered a special meal? Got a speeding ticket? Full-on grope, swab and interrogation before you fly.

Didn't get a speeding ticket and DHS's records are wrong and you are being unfairly targeted as a dangerous scoff-law every time you fly? Too bad, your file is SSI, if you see the contents, they'll have to destroy you.

Stasi, USA-style.

I fully expect the next step will be to require fingerprints for Pre, like GE.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Yeah, but Nappy's version was going to include a check of your 'points' profile to determine how rigorous your screening would be.

Ordered a special meal? Got a speeding ticket? Full-on grope, swab and interrogation before you fly.

Didn't get a speeding ticket and DHS's records are wrong and you are being unfairly targeted as a dangerous scoff-law every time you fly? Too bad, your file is SSI, if you see the contents, they'll have to destroy you.

Stasi, USA-style.

I fully expect the next step will be to require fingerprints for Pre, like GE.
Fingerprints are already required for Pre!
Old May 26, 2016, 11:18 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Paid Pre folks have been complaining in recent months about a new twist.. The lanes are open - yay! - but laptops/LGAs still have to be removed and apparently, sometimes even shoes, belts and jackets. Part of the 'consistent inconsistency', but it does make it completely impossible to budget airport time efficiently. If you are a Pre pax, you do not know if Pre will be available and you do not know if it will be the expedited experience you paid for if it is available.
I have Global Entry, so I get PreCheck. I have never failed to get the PreCheck designation on my boarding passes since being approved for GE. On average, I take at least on trip a month by air.

Except for the one time when I went through PreCheck light screening, I have never had to take my computer out of my carry on bag.

I was never asked to take my shoes off.

I never had to take off a jacket (sportcoat, suit coat or windbreaker).

Once, after my belt buckle alarmed the metal detector, I had to take my belt off. Now I know not to wear that particular belt when going through airport screenings.

As I have written above, even on the couple of occasions that I was randomly selected to go through the full body scanners, I was allowed to keep on my jacket, belt and shoes, and when I asked, I was instructed to keep my wallet in my breast pocket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.