Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

PHX Sky Harbor Airport and Breastmilk: Part II

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PHX Sky Harbor Airport and Breastmilk: Part II

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by petaluma1
This incident wasn't necessarily in PHX. The Tweeter did not name the airport.
Thanks for catching that. I have corrected my post.

This parent has something in common with Amy Van Dyken and many others: he seems almost as upset by the agent's completely unnecessary rudeness as he is by her ridiculous version of the rules.

Fly a lot with kids never been a problem. She talked to me like I was stupid and a criminal.
I have always struggled with this disconnect: TSOs know that they make up the rules, that anything can be confiscated through 'screener discretion'.

Yet, knowing that, they still harass and insult pax and complain that pax show up at the checkpoint not knowing the unpublished, screener-specific rules.

Sheesh.
Old May 4, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chollie
This is what you get when you combine 'screener discretion' with 'red team anxiety'.

It could be the result of the FSD telling his folks 'fail the red team tests and no one gets vacation time for the rest of the year'.
But this is WHY they are failing the red team tests, and this is also why the lines are as long as they are. If they only searched for WEI, learned what IDs are acceptable so they didn't argue with passengers about NEXUS cards, put the WTMD standers to work, and quit worrying about whether people are whistling (happy tune or not) or shaking their legs, they could focus more on efforts that would both spot actual threats (if there were any) and pass the red team tests.

Groping people for bringing baby food makes no sense and wastes clerk time, during this short-staffed period when they have only 6 or 7 times as many clerks as needed.
Old May 4, 2016, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
But this is WHY they are failing the red team tests, and this is also why the lines are as long as they are. If they only searched for WEI, learned what IDs are acceptable so they didn't argue with passengers about NEXUS cards, put the WTMD standers to work, and quit worrying about whether people are whistling (happy tune or not) or shaking their legs, they could focus more on efforts that would both spot actual threats (if there were any) and pass the red team tests.

Groping people for bringing baby food makes no sense and wastes clerk time, during this short-staffed period when they have only 6 or 7 times as many clerks as needed.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:34 am

Might be rumors going around that the 'red teams' are using baby foods and diaper bags to try to slip contraband past the checkpoint.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
Might be rumors going around that the 'red teams' are using baby foods and diaper bags to try to slip contraband past the checkpoint.

Have you heard such rumors?
Old May 4, 2016, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Have you heard such rumors?
No!

If I were an FSD worried about red team testing right now, and I read about MSP's near miss because of a mis-calibrated NoS, I'd probably be telling my folks to step it up and make sure our NoS's are properly calibrated.

IME, that's pretty typical for any dispersed organization subject to periodic covert testing. Word gets out about earlier failures, and everyone doubles down to make sure those vulnerabilities are addressed - at least until they've passed the test.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.