Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chaos at TSA Intelligence Office

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Chaos at TSA Intelligence Office

But the agency’s own Office of Intelligence and Analysis, plagued by near-constant turnover at its top levels and often in turmoil, has struggled to reach its potential, insiders say. The office’s track record includes leadership battles that have fostered a toxic culture, produced intelligence that frequently is of little value and mishandled classified information that jeopardized the agency’s direct access to useful intelligence, interviews with current and former intelligence officials, court records and other documents show.
TSA "Intelligence" Office
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:00 am

"I am concerned that employees fear their supervisors more than they fear a potential terrorist threat.”

Your safety is our priority.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mats
"I am concerned that employees fear their supervisors more than they fear a potential terrorist threat.”

Your safety is our priority.
The supervisor probably should be feared more than any terrorist.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
The supervisor probably should be feared more than any terrorist.
The supervisor's certainly a more clear and present danger to their careers.

Why am I not surprised that "TSA" and "Intelligence" are once again proven mutually exclusive?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good find Petaluma1. I am not the least bit surprised about that article. We already know that TSA employees rank TSA as almost the worst agency to work at.

Leadership is what sets the tone for a workplace large or small. TSA has no leadership!
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Good find Petaluma1. I am not the least bit surprised about that article. We already know that TSA employees rank TSA as almost the worst agency to work at.

Leadership is what sets the tone for a workplace large or small. TSA has no leadership!
Thank Boycott Flying and Freedom to Travel USA - not me.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:41 am

"TSA employees are less likely to report operational security or threat relevant issues out of fear of retaliation from supervisors who fear further retaliation from their chain of command. NO ONE WHO REPORTS ISSUES IS SAFE AT TSA." ~ DR. MARK A. LIVINGSTON, April 27, 2016
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:49 am

This is currently ongoing hearing before Congress.

Jay Brainard
Adrew Rhoades
MARK A. LIVINGSTON

Are currently speaking to Congress about the mismanagement and retaliation culture of TSA.

Examining Management Practices and Misconduct at TSA: Part I

Mark Livingston ~ "Failing forward in TSA is common, if you screw up, you move up. THIS IS WHY TSA HAS A MORALE PROBLEM AND CANNOT GET BETTER."
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:01 am

"On April 8, 2016 my supervisors asked me profile Somali imams and other Somali community members." ~ Andrew Rhoades, Assistant Federal Security Director

Andrew Rhoades serves under Cliff VanLeuven, VanLeuven is the Federal Security Director at MSP; it is not clear that VanLeuven is the "Supervisor".
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:50 am
Original Poster

From Mark Livingston's document:

Noted educational leadership scholars, Gruenter and Whitaker,
have stated "The culture of any organization is shaped by the worst behavior the leader is willing to tolerate."
https://oversight.house.gov/wp-conte...orkforce-I.pdf

The rot starts from the top and works it way down. The entire organization needs to be done away with.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
From Mark Livingston's document:

https://oversight.house.gov/wp-conte...orkforce-I.pdf

The rot starts from the top and works it way down. The entire organization needs to be done away with.
I just read the entire document and while Livingston should have had someone proof and edit his document I think it confirms some of the things I have been saying about TSA leadership for years. I realize that this is just one persons opinion but when looking at TSA as a whole I think we can see examples of some of these behaviors right down to the TSA Checkpoint screening lanes.

It would seem if a member of the public complains about some alleged offense from a TSA employee that nothing much is going to happen even if the complaint made it to the desk of the TSA Administrator.

Congress nor the courts have held TSA accountable for their missteps. A good example is how TSA thumbed its nose at the courts when directed to conduct public commenting on the Whole Body Imagers. Not only did TSA delay the process but ignored the public's input when publishing the final rule.

If this mans accounting is anywhere near truthful then I believe that TSA is truly past the point of being repairable and should be disbanded, screening oversight returned to the FAA, and all airport level screening operations be conducted by civilian companies.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gingersnaps
"On April 8, 2016 my supervisors asked me profile Somali imams and other Somali community members." ~ Andrew Rhoades, Assistant Federal Security Director

Andrew Rhoades serves under Cliff VanLeuven, VanLeuven is the Federal Security Director at MSP; it is not clear that VanLeuven is the "Supervisor".
Somali imams? I am in MSP and know a fair amount about the Somali community and its predominant religion; and yet, more times than not, I can't consistently figure out who is a Somali imam and who is not unless they profess their role or I'm supplied with a file/sheet/message on the person. If this is what the MSP FSD is fielding to his subordinates, I'm not sure if that's an example of supplying intelligence, stupidity or both. I'm sure that government intelligence can be an oxymoron, no less so when the TSA is involved.
Old May 21, 2016, 6:57 am

Andrew Rhoades knows a thing or two about mismanagement:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...e-msp-tsa.html
Old May 21, 2016, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by tmspa
Andrew Rhoades knows a thing or two about mismanagement:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...e-msp-tsa.html
Who was the do-nothing enabling FSD who endorsed Rhoades' behavior? Did Rhoades ever get a bonus or a pay rise or a promotion? If so, the folks who handed out those goodies are responsible for encouraging and rewarding his behavior. Now they want to hide in the shadows while they toss their scapegoat under the bus. No wonder TSA morale is so bad.
Old May 21, 2016, 2:24 pm

The FSD, at the time, was Kenneth Kasprisin (rumored to be Rhoades' (now ex) wife's uncle). Rhoades makes over $160,000 / year. More than most AFSDs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.