Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA says their sniffer dogs can't be photographed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA says their sniffer dogs can't be photographed

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Wouldn't TSA's sharing of actual SSI information to a non-covered person be a violation of TSA's security policies?

INAL but have been told that statements found on letters and such to the effect that "the information contained in this document cannot be shared and if you are not the intended recipient you must return or destroy" are not binding on the person if they received the document inadvertently. If I am correct that if TSA sent anything marked SSI to any anyone inadvertently the language of SSI or what have you creates no liability on the part of the receiver.
TSA is making one a "covered person" for this purpose. Note the language, "access to the SSI is necessary for the person to prepare a response to allegations contained in a legal enforcement action document issued by TSA”. That is why I specifically asked what facts contained therein were SSI.
Old May 2, 2016, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ND Sol
TSA is making one a "covered person" for this purpose. Note the language, "access to the SSI is necessary for the person to prepare a response to allegations contained in a legal enforcement action document issued by TSA”. That is why I specifically asked what facts contained therein were SSI.
Can TSA just designate that a person is a covered person?
Old May 2, 2016, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Can TSA just designate that a person is a covered person?
Covered person includes, "(m) Each person receiving SSI under § 1520.15(d) or (e)."
Old May 3, 2016, 7:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Are you suggesting that President Obama might have selected a "bad appointee"?
I'm not excluding that, as my idea of bad appointee is measured by results rather than by who did the appointing.

When it comes to the TSA SSI material, I'm not currently a "covered person" unless and until another bad ruling/bad appointee hits.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Thank you. I just found something similar as I didn't believe the statement was correct:

https://www.tsa.gov/news/testimony/2...eland-security
Yeah, that can be read too broadly and a little clarification is in order. Keep in mind that in the US federal system neither a vacancy announcement nor a job classification is determinative of whether a position is or is not a LEO or is or is not eligible for certain programs and benefits reserved for LEOs (such as LEAP and early retirement, among others).

TSIs are not LEOs with powers of arrest (with or without a warrant) and authorized to use force in the prevention or apprehension of persons (which, along with being an employee/agent of the government and other factors, is the typically/commonly understood meaning of a LEO) for violations of criminal law. As such, TSIs are not authorized for (i.e., not covered by) the aforementioned programs and benefits that were noted in the links you found. An entire thread could be started regarding Title 5, and categorization of rigorous (primary) or secondary duties, for law enforcement, etc., but I dont want to go all OMNI on everyone.

TSIs are, however, government agents (employees) authorized to conduct civil law enforcement and responsible for performing compliance enforcement duties. Examples of other types of "civil" LEOs are federal and state prosecutors, NTSB investigators, correctional officers, certain OIG Investigators, and many others. In fact, many sworn officers of federal police agencies (GPO, FPS, DOD, some Secret Service police, and many others), while federal employees with powers of arrest and authorized to use force in the performance of their law enforcement duties, are NOT covered LEO positions eligible for LEO programs and benefits.

In short, TSIs are LEOs if not necessarily in the commonly understood usage of the term.

As an aside - in TSA, pretty much only FAMs and certain investigators in the Office of Inspections do have powers of arrest and are armed.

Last edited by Section 107; May 3, 2016 at 10:20 am
Old May 3, 2016, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Covered person includes, "(m) Each person receiving SSI under § 1520.15(d) or (e)."
If you didn't sign one of their contrived SSI non-disclosure agreements, you're not a covered person.
Old May 3, 2016, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
If you didn't sign one of their contrived SSI non-disclosure agreements, you're not a covered person.
Did you review the links as it is clear that you don't have to sign a non-disclosure agreement under certain circumstances?

For example, the definition of a covered person includes someone who the "TSA or the Coast Guard may provide SSI to a person in the context of an administrative enforcement proceeding when, in the sole discretion of TSA or the Coast Guard, as appropriate, access to the SSI is necessary for the person to prepare a response to allegations contained in a legal enforcement action document issued by TSA or the Coast Guard."
Old May 5, 2016, 2:06 pm

You just know that whoever wanted to take that picture of the sniffer dog was going to post on their Facebook page adding to the crap already on Facebook.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.