Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Racist Customs officer SFO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2016, 9:38 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note:

Discussion of why people who have been living in the United States for a long time and are unable to communicate in English is off topic for this forum and belongs in OMNI.

Future off-topic posts will be deleted without further warning.

Thank you,

TWA884
Co-moderator
Old Apr 16, 2016, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by party_boy
Racist Customs officer

"So you're telling me she's lived in the U.S. for fourteen years, and she can't speak English?" while shaking your head.
as other replies noted, language is not race.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 16, 2016 at 10:27 am
Old Apr 16, 2016, 10:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
as other replies noted, language is not race.
The CBP employee noted in the blog entry (mentioned in the OP) has some relatives of East Asian ethnicity. It may explain why he claimed to know more Chinese than the US LPR of Chinese ethnicity who couldn't speak English for whatever reason.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 10:43 am

Get Global Entry and you'll avoid dealing with customs officials, who for the most part are an obnoxious bunch of frustrated losers.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 10:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by boboqui
Get Global Entry and you'll avoid dealing with customs officials, who for the most part are an obnoxious bunch of frustrated losers.
Global Entry use reduces the interaction frequency/intensity overall, but even that is no guarantee.

That said, I find that the vast majority of CBP employees have been doing just fine by me. That said, best to skip any expectation of a friendly exchange all around, as the likelihood of it being reciprocated is not all that great.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Gone are the days when the CBP immigration officer's last words to you, spoken as s/he stamped your passport and handed it back to you: "Welcome home".

Old Apr 16, 2016, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chollie
Gone are the days when the CBP immigration officer's last words to you, spoken as s/he stamped your passport and handed it back to you: "Welcome home".

I still get those words sometimes, but the frequency of it being said to me has dropped off big time.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 2:10 pm

There is no justification for being rude . Regardless of the explanation he is still a rude person and has disgraced himself .
Old Apr 16, 2016, 2:32 pm

We only have one side of the story.

What was mom not doing to be accused of not following instructions? From OPs standpoint, just a little old lady standing in line waiting her turn.

There's probably a little more to it and not saying that it is plausible excuse for being rude.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
People are too sensitive these days.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Marschel
Speaking of the named CBP employee.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Originally Posted by Marschel
+1 are you kidding me? I thought I was gonna read a story on something legitimately racist.

Someone got their feelings hurt by a CBP officer, and made it into a "racist" fiasco. Not to mention that question is actually somewhat relevant of the officer to ask. I would also find it suspicious as a customs officer that someone claiming to have lived in a country for 14 years cannot speak the local language. What is this the school playground? Give me a break....

The age we live in now of political correctness is really reaching a breaking point.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 3:24 pm

If you read my other (almost 5000) postings, you'll know that I'm not a big lover of the US, and absolutely not against China.

But yes, if someone had been living in the US, for 14 years, and NOT being able to communicate in English (that doesn't mean being perfectly fluent on university level.. just basic level that you can learn in school within 1-2 months) then YES, I do absolutely understand why a customs officer would have some doubts whetever this is really the person that has been (apparently) in his country for 14 years - or if it's someone completetely different.

Obviously you don't have to learn English (I am not asking why, since we're not in OMNI here) when living in the US, but I suspect the border guard simply had some feelings that the person that showed up with a green card, stating she has been into the United States for 14 years, but spoke no English at all, isn't the person actually the Green Card got issued to. Which is a very valid concern.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
If you read my other (almost 5000) postings, you'll know that I'm not a big lover of the US, and absolutely not against China.

But yes, if someone had been living in the US, for 14 years, and NOT being able to communicate in English (that doesn't mean being perfectly fluent on university level.. just basic level that you can learn in school within 1-2 months) then YES, I do absolutely understand why a customs officer would have some doubts whetever this is really the person that has been (apparently) in his country for 14 years - or if it's someone completetely different.

Obviously you don't have to learn English (I am not asking why, since we're not in OMNI here) when living in the US, but I suspect the border guard simply had some feelings that the person that showed up with a green card, stating she has been into the United States for 14 years, but spoke no English at all, isn't the person actually the Green Card got issued to. Which is a very valid concern.
You do realize that most US LPRs were entered into a fingerprint database? Unless fingerprint matching is extremely unreliable as a means off verifying identity, why would it be a valid concern to doubt the identity of the US LPR?
Old Apr 16, 2016, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
You do realize that most US LPRs were entered into a fingerprint database? Unless fingerprint matching is extremely unreliable as a means off verifying identity, why would it be a valid concern to doubt the identity of the US LPR?
You're aware that it takes minutes - at most - to make perfect copies of your fingerprints (at any place) that won't be recognized easily? Don't try to argue IT stuff with an IT guy, please

This is from 2009, ie "antic", from some amateur.. guess where even half-professionalls have arrived nowadays..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.