Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Updated: EU To Require Electronic Travel Authorization [ETIAS] for non-EU citizens

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updated: EU To Require Electronic Travel Authorization [ETIAS] for non-EU citizens

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by :D!
OK, so if you are a consul who thinks his job description is to refuse as many visas as possible, wouldn't you find it suspicious that a Polish citizen is so eager to visit the US that he would spend 2 weeks wages on a visa?
Citizens of Schengen countries who make minimum wage aren't all that likely to be US visa applicants. A Polish citizen making minimum wage in Poland could do just as well or better in some EU countries than they would do in the US. So I'm not sure that 2 weeks of someone's wages in a visa fee is always a perfect filter for determining who is and is not likely to violate the terms of admission.

The applicant fee costs enough that it might cost someone half a month of the cost of hired staff for manual, "unskilled" labor. If I were in such a situation, would I really want to give up two weeks of "full time" (say 30-45 hours/week) housekeeper service for a visa fee? Not really, unless I were eager to go.

The visa fees are what they are because governments are in the business of dumping the costs of operations on users, supposedly in the name of making people paying for what they use but not for what they don't use. Sounds a bit like the airlines with their "unbundling" to collect more money from the traveling public.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:57 pm

The EU Comission has delayed the proposal until July 12th.

After that, it will be brought to the EU Parliament and member states to a vote in a 4-6 month period if they should go ahead with the mandatory tourist visa applications on American and Canadian citizens.

As much as I agree with the EU Commission stance on letting all member states be visa free in Canada and U.S......I really hope it is shot down (probably with the help of the Western European countries)....but this does not guarantee it 100% obviously.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 3:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FateSucks
The EU Comission has delayed the proposal until July 12th.

After that, it will be brought to the EU Parliament and member states to a vote in a 4-6 month period if they should go ahead with the mandatory tourist visa applications on American and Canadian citizens.

As much as I agree with the EU Commission stance on letting all member states be visa free in Canada and U.S......I really hope it is shot down (probably with the help of the Western European countries)....but this does not guarantee it 100% obviously.
If the MEPs and member states go for this and include a biometric capture at time of visa issuance requirement, it's going to have a much more negative impact on the Schengen countries' tourism industry than such a requirement for traditional US visas had on the US.

Money talks.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
There's no way Romanian/Bulgarian citizens could be allowed visa-free in the US/Canada at the moment.
Allowing them in would mean bringing problems they're creating in major european cities that every average tourist can come across.
I would not mind an ESTA/ETA kinda scheme for visiting Europe in exchange of keeping the visa requirement for neo-EU citizens.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 4:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

EU looking to adopt US-style ESTA/US Visa Waiver Program

Some in the EU are looking to adopt a US-style ESTA requirement -- US Visa Waiver Program type of arrangement -- for security and political/diplomatic leverage reasons.

More to come.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 5:05 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Any sources on this? Can't find anything online.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
would be sensible
Old Nov 14, 2016, 2:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by aidy
would be sensible
I disagree.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

would be sensible
I oppose the pursuit of it. It ends up being a money grab attempt and a form of extra-prejudicial leverage (against mostly lawful groups/individuals) that hits people with an opaque scoring system decision that is but an output from a modernized version of the star chambers.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bakpapier
Any sources on this? Can't find anything online.
Spoon, meet feed.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...e-after-brexit
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Ew.

5char
Old Nov 14, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Will the UK also do this for EU citizens wanting to visit it?
Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I disagree.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I oppose the pursuit of it. It ends up being a money grab attempt and a form of extra-prejudicial leverage (against mostly lawful groups/individuals) that hits people with an opaque scoring system decision that is but an output from a modernized version of the star chambers.
Why should we pay $14 for every 2 years and not have the same imposed on incoming?
Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Why should we pay $14 for every 2 years and not have the same imposed on incoming?
Copying traveler-unfriendly approaches is reciprocal. But that doesn't make it better for one and all any more than all countries getting nukes just because some other countries already have nukes is reciprocal.

I oppose the $14 charge, as a US citizen.

And I won't have to pay the EU fee either, and I oppose it too.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 15, 2016 at 3:37 am
Old Nov 15, 2016, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Copying traveler-unfriendly approaches is reciprocal. But that doesn't make it better for one and all any more than all countries getting nukes just because some other countries already have nukes is reciprocal.

I oppose the $14 charge, as a US citizen.

And I won't have to pay the EU fee either, and I oppose it too.
agree the fee's are stupid

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.