Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$1.4 mill for left/right arrow app.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Another useless article critical of TSA once you come across the following:
What we do know is whatever was paid was too much as the TSA is not even using it. Not the first time the TSA has mothballed items and wasted taxpayer money.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by chollie
No. Neffenger didn't say where those Ipads are or what they are currently being used for (besides employee 'bonuses').
Sorry, forgot to use the sarcasm font.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:05 am
Original Poster

FACT CHECK: "We are not using that app."

This week TSA Administrator Peter Neffenger testified to Congress. A brief part of his statements concerned the Randomizer app. This application was developed to shove individuals into the precheck lance. A Freedom Of Information Act request was filed about the cost of the app. Initial reports were $336,000 US, or $1.4 million US. TSA claims the app only cost $47,000 US.

Congress Woman Ayote asked Administrator Neffenger about this app. Neffenger responded "We are not using that app."

Details are few about the app, but we do know it was used for Managed Inclussion II. We also know that TSA kept in place Managed Inclusion I. And eyecue informed us as early as Dec 2103, that TSA operates a process known as Real Time Threat Assessment, which eyecue idicated was distinct from Managed Inclusion.
Originally Posted by eyecue
Those are two entirely different programs.
There is MI and there is RTTA
and followed with
that is SSI : )

MI is managed inclusion
RTTA is real time threat assessment

So how about a fact check. When you reach the queue look and see if a TSA employee is holding a $47,000 Ipad and directing people to standard screening or Precheck.

Or even the local TSOs that post here can confirm or deny or neither, whether Managed Inclusion I - which is apparently distinct from RTTA - utilizes the randomizer Ipad.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Oh, I would absolutely believe it. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that the TSA could pay $47,000 for something that they never use.

Mike
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Helps to explain the two full TSA warehouses near DFW.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
The app cost $47,000. The other $1.35M was on project management (i.e., dealing with TSA red tape and bureaucracy).
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
The app cost $47,000. The other $1.35M was on project management (i.e., dealing with TSA red tape and bureaucracy).
Both amounts are exorbitant for what TSA received. TSA has never been a good shepherd of the public's money.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
1) A coin toss only allows for 50/50 choices. It doesn't work nearly so well if the TSOs running the checkpoint want a different distribution of randomly selected passengers between the lanes (say, 60-40 or 70-30).

2) Coin tossing is complicated. Does the coin used in the coin flip actually have to flip? (This was a big deal in an NFL playoff game this year.) Does the TSO catch the coin or let it land on the ground? If the TSO catches the coin, does the TSO flip it over or display it as it stands? What if the coin lands sideways? What if the coin hits the ground on one side, then bounces and lands on the other side --- which side counts? What if the coin lands on another object and doesn't lie flat?

3) Who's performing the coin toss? I'm sure you'll find some TSO who will find a way to toss the coin in such a way that all the [insert-ethnic-minority] passengers who approach the checkpoint someone always lose the coin flip and end up in the non-PreCheck screening line.
Ah yes but, I still would have charged the TSA $1.4m so to include all of the theoretical aspects that you include and more.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Apr 10, 2016 at 8:36 am
Old Apr 15, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: TSA
That article is misleading, the amount that is quoted of $1.4 million is for an entire groupd of projects that included the ipad app and programming. The actual cost breakdown for the IPADS and the programming was $64k. The rest of the money went to other projects and hardware for screening.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
That article is misleading, the amount that is quoted of $1.4 million is for an entire groupd of projects that included the ipad app and programming. The actual cost breakdown for the IPADS and the programming was $64k. The rest of the money went to other projects and hardware for screening.
Where are the Ipads now?
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:05 am

Such an easy explanation, and well worded. I'm glad <deleted> was so forthright, and open, with Congress when they asked him about it.

Oh wait.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 15, 2016 at 10:24 am Reason: Not necessary.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Did anyone catch Trevor Noah's bit on the TSA app? Priceless.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/e42km1...randomizer-app
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Did anyone catch Trevor Noah's bit on the TSA app? Priceless.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/e42km1...randomizer-app
"Statistically, they'd do better with the honor system..."

That applies to BDO, as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.