Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$1.4 mill for left/right arrow app.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I find interesting is how using a random arrow to determine if a person is a greater risk or a lesser risk equals security.

I guess in the TSA world anything goes.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
What I find interesting is how using a random arrow to determine if a person is a greater risk or a lesser risk equals security.

I guess they realize it's a lesser risk than having an actual TSO determine who is a risk.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:18 am

Sorry, the Ouija board says you might be a turrist. No precheck for you today, good sir!
Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Good thing they're only doing left or right. Had it been "north or south or east or west," the app would have cost $2.8m.

Mike
Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeef
Good thing they're only doing left or right. Had it been "north or south or east or west," the app would have cost $2.8m.

Mike
That must be why I saw TSA screeners only wearing one glove.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeef

Mike
More than that...They would have had to pay for a preliminary trade study to determine if they were going to use true north or magnetic north. They, they would have had to pay for a magnetic offset algorithm.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
If the TSO was holding the Ipad as shown in the picture and it pointed north, pax would get sent upstairs.

Maybe they could repurpose the Ipads (if they haven't all been handed out as TSO bonuses). Turn them sideways and use them to 'randomly' decide which half of your body will get groped.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:21 pm

That must be why I saw TSA screeners only wearing one glove.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gingersnaps
If you recall the wonderful security focused Managed Inclusion program - created under John Pistole - then you may recall that a blue shirt would stand in the queue line and tap an ipad that would indicate left or right.

Depending on the setup travelers were directed either too clog the precheck lane or herded to the regular lanes. A developer named Kevin Burke witnessed the left/right application. He filed a Freedom Of Information Act request with TSA concerning the software.

TSA responded and the documents indicate that TSA (taxpayers) paid upwards of $1.4 million US for an Ipad app (and maybe ipads too) that would indicate a left arrow or a right arrow. The application was created by IBM.
I finally got the chance to look through the documents. It is a time & materials (T&M) contract with IBM and I suspect Project iPad was only one of nine tasks that added up to the $1.4M. The smoking gun that's missing is the task statement or the statement of work. This would tell us exactly what the TSA bought.

I am on board with the (b)(4) exemption to remove the pricing data. But, I laughed at the use of the (b)(6) exemption when they had names and signatures all over the documents.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 2:22 pm

Neffenger was then questioned by Sen. Ayotte (R-NH) on the recently criticized 'randomizer' app that supposedly cost taxpayers $1.4 million to create. In the video, the app was used by one TSA agent to point airline customers in either the right or left direction.

“We are not using that app... It is not an app we are not using anymore,” Neffenger said.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 2:34 pm

That makes it better.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 6:20 pm

Exclamation

Originally Posted by JoeBas
That makes it better.
No. Neffenger didn't say where those Ipads are or what they are currently being used for (besides employee 'bonuses').

When Sen. Cantwell, WA, brought up crazy long lines at SEA (1000 pax missed flights last month at SEA because of the TSA slowdown) and asked about taking so many employees off-duty under the pretext of training them in GA, he said that local training will also continue (so much for 'consistent' training, right?).

SEA has been hiring staff to take on TSA's 'administrative' duties to help free up TSOs to actually work. I have no idea who will be paying for that - I think the bill should come out of Neffy's annual bonus.

Meanwhile, Neffy has no intention of asking his LTSOs and STSOs to actually work instead of standing around in clusters chatting and playing with their cellphones while lines build - and another pax walks right through the checkpoint with no ID, no BP, and completely unscreened and unchallenged.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.usajobs.gov/Search/?keyw...&search=Search

No screener vacancies at SEA. No excuse for a 1,000 people to miss flights but did due to TSA incompetence.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 6:47 pm

https://www.usajobs.gov/Search/?keyw...&search=Search

No screener vacancies at SEA. No excuse for a 1,000 people to miss flights but did due to TSA incompetence.
I don't know what the official ratios are, but the last time I flew through SEA (late last year), at the central checkpoint, the number of non-working two- and three-stripers was equal to the number of TSOs actually performing some kind of duty in between personal conversations or checking their cellphones. I'm including tub-stackers, line monitors, WTMD blockers and floating barkers in the count of 'actually working' TSOs.

Interesting that Neffenger completely contradicted himself about the reason for the 'academy' when talking to Congress. Suddenly he's talking about 'of course' local training will continue. ??? I thought the whole purpose of the 'academy' was because local training wasn't consistent?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Another useless article critical of TSA once you come across the following:

Unfortunately we don't know everything the TSA got for that $1.4 million. They might have just gotten the iPad app; they might have gotten iPads, or work on multiple different apps, including the TSA Randomizer. We only know it's associated with the TSA Randomizer based on the FOIA request that returned this document.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.