Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA signs prohibiting filming

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2016, 4:24 am
Original Poster

TSA signs prohibiting filming

If you've ever seen a sign like this at TSA prohibiting filming, please send me a pic w/ date, airport, & location. This is the first one I've heard of, taken recently by a friend at BOS, terminal C, main gates checkpoint.

Old Mar 26, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Exactly where was that sign? Was it at the entrance to one of the private screening areas? Because we've known for some time that imaging is prohibited in the private screening areas.

Since the sign mentions private screening, and says "in this area" as opposed to just "screening operations", my guess is that this sign is meant for the private screening areas, even if it is not posted at one.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
We just yesterday came through FLL and Mrs. K's carry on was pulled for hand inspection. Turned out she'd bought some souvenirs for her staff that apparently showed up as a solid black blot. Agent took her bag over to a table to the side that was in full view. Took him less than a minute or two to identify what were the objects and he even stood aside to let her repack. I saw no such signs over or near that inspection station. I was actually looking for them as I had read the original post while on our cruise.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Exactly where was that sign? Was it at the entrance to one of the private screening areas? Because we've known for some time that imaging is prohibited in the private screening areas.

Since the sign mentions private screening, and says "in this area" as opposed to just "screening operations", my guess is that this sign is meant for the private screening areas, even if it is not posted at one.
It's a sign designed for the private screening areas.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by LoganTSO
It's a sign designed for the private screening areas.
Which is one of the MORE absurd things TSA has created.

You can't film the pat-down you get in a "private screening room"; but you can have a witness.

TSA WILL NOT conduct the screening in public; but you can have a witness.

TSA performs a groin alarm search in public at the AIT; but you cannot film the groin search in private, but you can have a witness.

You can't film it, but you can have a witness and RECREATE the whole thing for youtube.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All TSA searches should be done in public otherwise it is no longer an administrative search. If TSA wants to do a search out of the public's eye then refuse the private room and demand that search be completed in public.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
All TSA searches should be done in public otherwise it is no longer an administrative search. If TSA wants to do a search out of the public's eye then refuse the private room and demand that search be completed in public.
"Moreover, the possibility for abuse is minimized by the public nature of the search. Unlike searches conducted on dark and lonely streets at night where often the officer and the subject are the only witnesses, these searches are made under supervision and not far from the scrutiny of the traveling public."

See United States v. Skipwith, 482 F.2d 1272, 1275
(5th Cir. 1973)

A private room with a locked door is NOT within the scrutiny of the traveling public.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by petaluma1
"Moreover, the possibility for abuse is minimized by the public nature of the search. Unlike searches conducted on dark and lonely streets at night where often the officer and the subject are the only witnesses, these searches are made under supervision and not far from the scrutiny of the traveling public."

See United States v. Skipwith, 482 F.2d 1272, 1275
(5th Cir. 1973)

A private room with a locked door is NOT within the scrutiny of the traveling public.
TSA asserts (laughably) that private room searches are to prevent the victim, er, suspect, er, body, er, <fluffy bunny name for a traveler>, from being embarrassed in public. That's only AFTER the victim has been dragged away from the c/p with their belongings in tow, ordered not to touch their belongings or any other people, and locked away in a private room like a criminal, all in full view of the public. So yeah, obviously for OUR protection. /sarcasm

TO me it's always been patently obvious that the private room carp is simply a way in which TSA can do whatever they want, break any rule or any law, with no oversight or monitoring, and get away with it because there are no records of what happened. Strip searches and broken ostomy bags have been reported; I'm really surprised that there hasn't been a major sexual assault, fight, or high-dollar theft reported in one of those sweat boxes.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA asserts (laughably) that private room searches are to prevent the victim, er, suspect, er, body, er, <fluffy bunny name for a traveler>, from being embarrassed in public. That's only AFTER the victim has been dragged away from the c/p with their belongings in tow, ordered not to touch their belongings or any other people, and locked away in a private room like a criminal, all in full view of the public. So yeah, obviously for OUR protection. /sarcasm

TO me it's always been patently obvious that the private room carp is simply a way in which TSA can do whatever they want, break any rule or any law, with no oversight or monitoring, and get away with it because there are no records of what happened. Strip searches and broken ostomy bags have been reported; I'm really surprised that there hasn't been a major sexual assault, fight, or high-dollar theft reported in one of those sweat boxes.

Now you know that that's just not possible, TSA employees have all had background checks!

http://tsanewsblog.com/master-list-o...es-and-crimes/
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:48 pm
Suspended

They had signs with QR codes last time I was at IAD. Mixed messages!
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
And you wont be getting to the plane... That's considered interference with screening.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by eyecue
And you wont be getting to the plane... That's considered interference with screening.
People have refused to go to the private room and still got on the plane. The private room search is illegal.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eyecue
Hardly. I will submit to screening right there in the open with everyone watching. And I doubt that TSA would want that charge going to court under those circumstances.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Exactly where was that sign?
According to my friend (who took the picture): "The sign is in the winding area of the line; I assume it's directed at the entire area. It's nowhere near the X-ray monitors."
Old Apr 1, 2016, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saizai
According to my friend (who took the picture): "The sign is in the winding area of the line; I assume it's directed at the entire area. It's nowhere near the X-ray monitors."
Where does TSA derive authority to limit the taking of photos of anything in plain sight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.