Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long TSA Lines [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by chollie
If they are speaking quietly and making eye contact as they advise folks to completely empty pockets, etc. as they realign/adjust bins, then they are doing a better job and contributing more to efficiency and lack of stress than TSA's belt monitors generally do.
That's not how they are doing it.

The HSS person is using a loud voice.
Then the person behind the WTMD is repeating the same stuff, even louder. Last week, the screener stopped the line and went into a monologue on "emptying pockets and blah blah blah" and held up the line doing his little spiel.

Last edited by dimramon; Jun 17, 2016 at 3:40 pm
Old Jun 17, 2016, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Paid for by the airlines (ie, the pax), operated by TSA.

Why did I even hope.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Paid for by the airlines (ie, the pax), operated by TSA.

Why did I even hope.
Airline or TSA, travelers will still bare the brunt of the cost and abuse.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:27 am
Original Poster

If they are speaking quietly and making eye contact as they advise folks to completely empty pockets, etc. as they realign/adjust bins, then they are doing a better job and contributing more to efficiency and lack of stress than TSA's belt monitors generally do.
I agree. Unfortunately TSA does not appear to have made meaningful efforts to "teach" screeners NOT to be barkers. And if TSA is "training" contract employees, we have no reason to believe TSA will do anything but have the contract people be barkers as well.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:26 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gingersnaps
I agree. Unfortunately TSA does not appear to have made meaningful efforts to "teach" screeners NOT to be barkers. And if TSA is "training" contract employees, we have no reason to believe TSA will do anything but have the contract people be barkers as well.
I was flying out of DFW earlier this year and the TSA agent actually shouted that he would shutdown the line if people didn't do what they were told.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 3:00 pm

On Sunday at SEATAC, one of the exit points was manned by 4 (FOUR) TSA clerks. One of them was dancing, singing and snapping his fingers for the others - and they all seemed to be having a blast.

I wish I had taken a picture or had made a video...
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:10 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I have not flown much lately and did not know what to expect. I had heard all of the reports of delay horror and the warnings of "extra" super-duper scrutiny. Plus, they were suggesting three hours early. Since I carry on my electronic tools in a Pelican case that is loaded to the brim I fully expected the bag rape that I often get.

So I get there 3 hours early. Both going and returning home.

Used Pre-Check both times. Both times I wait at the x-ray tunnel exit for the inevitable "Is this your bag?" but in both cases, the case full of batteries, tools, cables, and electronics (I was told by TSA that one looked exactly like a detonator) came on the belt after my computer bag.

Oh, well. Had I been running late, the frustration detectors would have kicked it out.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I have not flown much lately and did not know what to expect. I had heard all of the reports of delay horror and the warnings of "extra" super-duper scrutiny. Plus, they were suggesting three hours early. Since I carry on my electronic tools in a Pelican case that is loaded to the brim I fully expected the bag rape that I often get.

So I get there 3 hours early. Both going and returning home.

Used Pre-Check both times. Both times I wait at the x-ray tunnel exit for the inevitable "Is this your bag?" but in both cases, the case full of batteries, tools, cables, and electronics (I was told by TSA that one looked exactly like a detonator) came on the belt after my computer bag.

Oh, well. Had I been running late, the frustration detectors would have kicked it out.
Nice to see you back, Ink!
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by dimramon
On Sunday at SEATAC, one of the exit points was manned by 4 (FOUR) TSA clerks. One of them was dancing, singing and snapping his fingers for the others - and they all seemed to be having a blast.

I wish I had taken a picture or had made a video...
In the meantime, on Sunday at SEATAC, the TSA line at the regular checkpoint appeared to begin somewhere north of the Canadian border. Precheck line was pretty long but got through in about 20 minutes.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by t325
In the meantime, on Sunday at SEATAC, the TSA line at the regular checkpoint appeared to begin somewhere north of the Canadian border. Precheck line was pretty long but got through in about 20 minutes.
This week in the precheck line around 4:30AM, they had 2 TDCs, two belts and one WTMD, but the line got so bogged down they removed one TDC.

They also had one HSS life form who had mastered the art of yelling orbiting around the area.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
At SEA, I check out other lines when that happens.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 8:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
I flew out of SEATAC on that Sunday as well, but the line for me at 3pm was about 8-10 folks in front of me in Pre-Check and about 4 of them got booted out for being in the wrong line. Got through in about 5 minutes, which is above average in length for me these days
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:27 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Will Airlines' Security Checkpoint Upgrades Finally Shrink Wait Times?

Excerpts

American Airlines plans to open lanes similar to those in Atlanta in Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami and Dallas. Each airport will get two lanes. The project will cost the airline around $5 million.

The new “smart lanes” that are already operating in Atlanta have enough space so that five people at a time can fill bins with their laptops, shoes and pocket change. They will then push the bins onto a longer automated conveyor. This means that there is no need to manually push the bins onto the scanner one at a time.

Though it is receiving less media attention, a different security checkpoint upgrade could actually prove more important when it comes to speeding up the screening process. American is testing CT (computer tomography) technology to scan carry-on baggage. CT scanners, which are already being used to scan checked baggage, create 3D images of bags’ contents. The detailed pictures could make it possible for passengers to leave laptops, gels and liquids inside their carry-ons instead of having to remove them during screening.

Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two lanes at DFW doesn't make a dent in screening problems. If this is just a validation effort then I hope the window is fairly narrow.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Two lanes at DFW doesn't make a dent in screening problems. If this is just a validation effort then I hope the window is fairly narrow.
You perceive 'screening problems' from a pax's viewpoint.

HQ views 'screening problems' from a payoff standpoint.

These CT scanners aren't going to be cheap - someone's going to make a bundle of money off this deal, whether or not they make a difference in the pax experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.