Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long TSA Lines [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:00 am

Neffenger said the TSA will use more overtime to boost staffing, speed up training of new screeners, deploy more dog teams that augment human workers and try new techniques and wait-line configurations to speed the process.
Maybe I'm dense, but ... how do dog teams speed up screening? It would seem to be just the opposite ...
Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Maybe I'm dense, but ... how do dog teams speed up screening? It would seem to be just the opposite ...
If you get sniffed by a TSA dog, you get free PreCheck.

Yes, seriously.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
From NPR:
Ready For Fun? First Take Off Your Shoes And Wait In Long Airport Lines

Excerpts
______

Both the TSA and Airlines For America (A4A), an industry trade group, say travelers should brace for long waits in epic lines. "It's a very serious concern," A4A Senior Vice President Sharon Pinkerton said on a conference call with journalists Wednesday.
______

Pinkerton says TSA needs more screeners. "The staffing is not adequate and it needs to be," she said. In addition, TSA equipment should be better maintained to avoid breakdowns, she said.

Earlier this week, the TSA released a statement saying it "expects passenger volumes to drastically increase throughout the month of March as spring breakers take to the skies and throughout the summer."
______

At a Senate hearing last week, TSA Administrator Peter Neffenger said his agency needs more funding to "right-size and appropriately resource TSA and halt further reductions in officer staffing."

The Obama administration is asking Congress to support 42,848 officers by boosting TSA's fiscal 2017 budget to $3 billion, which would be $26.9 million more than fiscal 2016. Currently, TSA has roughly 41,000 officers on duty.
______
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Long Lines - Is the TSA's Excuse of Increased Passenger Volume Real?

I think I know the answer already, but I'm hoping there are some airline industry "insiders" here on TS&S who can comment.

Neffy and his propaganda machine (PV and the Twitter sites) are blaming "increased passenger volume" for the long lines. Like many of you, I think this claim is complete BS, especially since I have never seen this assertion sourced.

All I know is that I'm flying in smaller aircraft with less choices to get from Point A to Point B. This isn't news. My observation is that downsizing happened after many people got fed up with the TSA and either stopped flying or flew considerably less. It got worse when the economy went in the tank in about 2008. I really can't believe that the amount of people entering a TSA checkpoint and getting on an airplane has increased at all. Fares don't appear to be going down, either.

Is there real data out there to support or refute the TSA's claim???
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by BSBD
If you get sniffed by a TSA dog, you get free PreCheck.

Yes, seriously.
I get a TSA nose (and paws) in my crotch every time I get my grope.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Here's a link to a release from Airlines For America, which is the official US airlines industry association. It's dated yesterday. It clearly states that the industry expects this Spring to have the most commercial air travelers ever.

"Airlines for America (A4A), the industry trade organization for the leading U.S. airlines, today reviewed 2015 results for U.S. passenger airlines and released its travel forecast, which projects spring 2016 air travel to rise to the highest level ever, with passenger volumes exceeding 2015’s peak by 3 percent. Approximately 140 million passengers (2.3 million per day) are expected to fly on U.S. airlines during March and April compared to 136.2 million passengers in 2015 – a 63,000 passengers-per-day increase. This includes more than 17 million travelers (285,000 per day) on international flights."

http://airlines.org/news/airlines-fo...record-levels/
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:12 pm

It's only one airport, but SeaTac saw a 12.9% increase in traffic in 2015 (and a 7.7% increase the year before):

http://mynorthwest.com/174/2903390/S...-again-in-2015
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes it's a real excuse, but just that, an excuse. The core issue is TSA's incompetence to manage known workloads.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Mar 10, 2016 at 6:49 pm
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: QFF
Airlines issue their flight schedules in most cases months ahead of time. There is no reason for TSA not to know how many flights are using each airport at a given time and to set staffing levels according.

Outside of major, sudden schedule changes, there is no reason for TSA not to be able to handle a known amount of passenger flow.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by TWA884
Well, what happened now? How much longer is that? Those passengers cannot wait for any much longer. TSA must hired more screeners and they needs more helps. You cannot wait forever. Stepped it up! Wake up! Smell the coffee!
Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:59 am

Isn't it the case that every passenger is required to pay a fee for TSA as part of their ticket price?

Meaning that when the number of passengers increases, so does the TSA income to pay for the "service".

My annoyance stems from having to stand in line waiting for a service I have already paid for.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N830MH
Well, what happened now? How much longer is that? Those passengers cannot wait for any much longer. TSA must hired more screeners and they needs more helps. You cannot wait forever. Stepped it up! Wake up! Smell the coffee!
It's not a matter of needing more employees but using those on hand effectively.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by 11277m
isn't it the case that every passenger is required to pay a fee for tsa as part of their ticket price?
+1

meaning that when the number of passengers increases, so does the tsa income to pay for the "service".
+2

my annoyance stems from having to stand in line waiting for a service i have already paid for.
+3
Old Mar 11, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Himeno
Airlines issue their flight schedules in most cases months ahead of time. There is no reason for TSA not to know how many flights are using each airport at a given time and to set staffing levels according.

Outside of major, sudden schedule changes, there is no reason for TSA not to be able to handle a known amount of passenger flow.
I have seen what you are talking about, TSA gets local passenger load estimates for each day and the next day the actual numbers come out. There is a discrepancy in numbers by as much as 5000 to 7000 on some days. The actual load is usually higher than the estimates. Part of the reason is the airlines give a number that is a percentage of anticipated volume. Then you throw in last minute bookings and things get really skewed.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by chucko
It's only one airport, but SeaTac saw a 12.9% increase in traffic in 2015 (and a 7.7% increase the year before)
That may be, but I don't think it's only a 7.7%-12.9% increase in delays at the TSA checkpoints that we're seeing.

Originally Posted by eyecue
TSA gets local passenger load estimates for each day and the next day the actual numbers come out. There is a discrepancy in numbers by as much as 5000 to 7000 on some days. The actual load is usually higher than the estimates.
Um... HOW are they off by that much? If I had to do that job, with no other info in front of me, I'd go pull the schedule for all of the outbound flights for the airport, noting which type of aircraft they're using (this is part of the flight plans..even Expedia lists it). Then wander over to SeatGuru or similar site and count seats. Throw it in Excel, multiply, add a little extra as a fudge factor in case something comes up and you're done.

I've definitely seen TSA's scheduling/staffing incompetence many times when flying out of a NE airport after the airfield's been shut down for a day or so due to snow. Sunday morning, 1 crew/employee lane open, 1 pax lane open. 500+ pax trying to get through. Plenty of people Standing Around, but they refused to open more lanes.

Good thing TSA isn't in charge of our electrical grid. Can you imaging coming home every evening to find no power because the power co misjudged how much capacity they'd need...every day?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.