Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing a pie/cake on board a flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Bringing a pie/cake on board a flight

One can't bring the following on a flight:

a stick of butter, 4 oz. (8 tablespoons)
a can of condensed milk, 14 oz.
a brick of cream cheese, 8 oz
1/4 c. lemon juice

BUT

if you combine all the above into a no-bake cheesecake, which will contain

11 tablespoons of butter
28 oz. of condensed milk
16 oz. of cream cheese
4 oz. of lemon juice

you can bring it on board.

What's the sense in that? (purely rhetorical question)

It's a terrorist's dream come true as there are lots of no-bake cakes and pies that the TSA will allow you to bring on a plane.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:20 pm

I'm convinced the TSA liquid rules were randomly developed. The TSA was getting pressured by the airlines to allow liquids because they couldn't handle the amount of checked bags. So they came up with the ziplock bag. That wasn't enough security theater for them so they said the containers had to be travel sized. Someone at the TSA guessed the travel size bottles were about 3 oz. so they went with that size.

I have no idea how they came up with allowing pies. Has anybody ever got through security with a pie before? I figure the odds on getting a screener who knows pies are allowed is really low.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spd476
I'm convinced the TSA liquid rules were randomly developed. The TSA was getting pressured by the airlines to allow liquids because they couldn't handle the amount of checked bags. So they came up with the ziplock bag. That wasn't enough security theater for them so they said the containers had to be travel sized. Someone at the TSA guessed the travel size bottles were about 3 oz. so they went with that size.

I have no idea how they came up with allowing pies. Has anybody ever got through security with a pie before? I figure the odds on getting a screener who knows pies are allowed is really low.
I look at the pie/cake thing the same way I look at knitting needles: TSA knew it would not be received well by certain segments of the population if they banned knitting needles even though, in the right hands, a knitting needle could easily kill someone.

There would be riots if people were not allowed to bring pies/cakes on the plane, especially when one is headed to a family gathering at holiday time.

In each case, they took the easy way out and allowed the items rather than face the wrath of part of the flying public.

Same thing with allowing the young and old to keep their shoes on. TSA didn't realize the depth of anger at making the old and young take off shoes and finally corrected when the uproar became too much.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I have a feeling you might be much less successful getting a pie or cake through outside holiday dates.

Too much frosting? TSO's gonna eat it.

Too much meringue on your lemon meringue pie? TSO's gonna eat it.

Too much liquid between the cherries or peaches in your pie? Guess who's eat it?

Don't forget, there was a bit of awkwardness a while back when someone (TSA) had the bright idea to take all the confiscated holiday pies and serve them up at the USO (?) facilities for military at the airports.

Because even though they couldn't be allowed on airplanes because there was allegedly no way to verify their safety, they were safe enough to hand off to the men and women of the US military.

I think even Blogdad Bob had to pass on trying to explain that one.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
I have a feeling you might be much less successful getting a pie or cake through outside holiday dates.

Too much frosting? TSO's gonna eat it.

Too much meringue on your lemon meringue pie? TSO's gonna eat it.

Too much liquid between the cherries or peaches in your pie? Guess who's eat it?

Don't forget, there was a bit of awkwardness a while back when someone (TSA) had the bright idea to take all the confiscated holiday pies and serve them up at the USO (?) facilities for military at the airports.

Because even though they couldn't be allowed on airplanes because there was allegedly no way to verify their safety, they were safe enough to hand off to the men and women of the US military.

I think even Blogdad Bob had to pass on trying to explain that one.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...carry-pie.html

@AskTSA has been telling people they can bring pies and cakes through checkpoints, but told one person today she could not bring her cream cheese through if it was more than 3.4 oz. That's what prompted me to start this thread.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...carry-pie.html

@AskTSA has been telling people they can bring pies and cakes through checkpoints, but told one person today she could not bring her cream cheese through if it was more than 3.4 oz. That's what prompted me to start this thread.
That link is a bit dated now. Since then, we've discovered that 'screener discretion' applies to cupcakes, specifically, the amount of frosting on the cupcake.

Now I've frosted a cake or two in my time. Unless you're doing something unusual, there's more frosting on a two layer cake than on the most over-loaded single cupcake. So....which one will be allowed when?

Actually, she could have brought the cream cheese through if she had cut it in 3.4 ounce pieces and put the individual pieces in her neutralizing kippie bag.

Well, no, then the screener would probably have exercised his 'discretion' to declare that he had no way to verify that each of the unlabelled bite-size bits of cream cheese were less than 3.4 ounces.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, call me naieve but just where does a person store a pie in one of today's busy and cramped airplane cabins? People are smushing things in the overhead bins with their oversized bags trying to avoid checked baggage fees.

And Chollie already alluded to TSA's Great Catch of the Cupcake in a Jar a couple of years ago that was too dangerous to fly.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Ok, call me naieve but just where does a person store a pie in one of today's busy and cramped airplane cabins? People are smushing things in the overhead bins with their oversized bags trying to avoid checked baggage fees.

And Chollie already alluded to TSA's Great Catch of the Cupcake in a Jar a couple of years ago that was too dangerous to fly.
Under the seat. I have had a seatmate who held a cake in a cakebox through the entire flight.

I wouldn't want to do it on a connecting flight, though.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Under the seat. I have had a seatmate who held a cake in a cakebox through the entire flight.

I wouldn't want to do it on a connecting flight, though.
I wouldn't put a food item on the deck even with it sealed in a box. Airplane decks are filthy.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 4:44 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
One can't bring the following on a flight:

BUT

if you combine all the above into a no-bake cheesecake, which will contain

you can bring it on board.
You can't un-combine the cake into its ingredients...
Old Feb 16, 2016, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

Box in a freezer bag. Can usually stow it away in the overhead compartment or front storage space.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 5:35 am
Original Poster

That link is a bit dated now. Since then, we've discovered that 'screener discretion' applies to cupcakes, specifically, the amount of frosting on the cupcake.

Now I've frosted a cake or two in my time. Unless you're doing something unusual, there's more frosting on a two layer cake than on the most over-loaded single cupcake. So....which one will be allowed when?

Actually, she could have brought the cream cheese through if she had cut it in 3.4 ounce pieces and put the individual pieces in her neutralizing kippie bag.

Well, no, then the screener would probably have exercised his 'discretion' to declare that he had no way to verify that each of the unlabelled bite-size bits of cream cheese were less than 3.4 ounces.
Granted, the link I supplied was dated. The following is from Bob's Thanksgiving 2015 post:

Foods: Cakes, pies, bread, donuts, turkeys, etc., are all permitted. Read the list of foods that should be placed in your checked bags or shipped if they don’t comply with the carry-on rules.
While the stated issue with the cupcake in question was indeed frosting, the real issue was that it was in a jar which contained far more than 3.4 oz. Had the same cupcake been carried through the checkpoint like a regular cupcake, it would have been allowed.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2012/01/cupcakegate.html
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Granted, the link I supplied was dated. The following is from Bob's Thanksgiving 2015 post:

While the stated issue with the cupcake in question was indeed frosting, the real issue was that it was in a jar which contained far more than 3.4 oz. Had the same cupcake been carried through the checkpoint like a regular cupcake, it would have been allowed.

So it wasn't the cupcake that was deemed to dangerous to fly but the jar.

How cunning TSA!
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:58 pm

The closing words in Blogdad Bob's post say it all:

.."there is always the potential you won’t be able to take it through."
Because, as always, the rules on the website and postings in the blogs are guidelines, not rules that are necessarily followed at the airport.

If you fly often enough, YMWV.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

The closing words in Blogdad Bob's post say it all:

.."there is always the potential you won’t be able to take it through."

That's Bob's version of the TSA "hold harmless" statement which he is required to work into each post.

If cakes and pies were being confiscated, we would know about it.

Again, I believe there are certain segments of the flying population that the TSA has no desire to deal with and I think pie/cake carriers are a portion of that population.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.