Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Will US airports ever have automated border control like most EU airports?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2016, 5:32 am
Original Poster

For those not familiar with these, they work using e-gates (electronic gates) that scan your biometric passport, check the database for any criminal records, confirm that the person standing in front matches the passport image and allows them in. quick and painless. ^

http://www.futuretravelexperience.co...n-vs-security/

This is different from the US current GE system where people have to be preapproved and I believe if I'm not wrong still talk to an officer. And some officers can be rude so after a long flight its best just to come in and go.

IMO these things machines are in fact safer because they do checks as opposed to officers who don't seem to verify (In Europe that is!) if someone is a criminal or not at the airport

Do you think that will happen or is that a dream that would never happen in the US?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:23 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving this over to the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:52 pm

Never going to happen because you know "OMG terrarists!"
Old Feb 7, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: Delta, United
First, these are not used in the EU, but in the UK and in Australia and New Zealand. Second, these counties use national identity cards. Third, the USA can not even manage to implement the real id requirements for driver's license. Forth, DHS is too busy pissing away money on future unless AITs.

At this point I would be happier if the airlines used automatic gates for boarding so to keep the gate lice at bay.

That said, welcome to FT.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:50 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
First, these are not used in the EU, but in the UK and in Australia and New Zealand.
Despite the efforts of some political parties, the UK is still a member of the EU.

I have used the biometric gates at LHR and DUB; I haven't entered the Schengen area in a while, but I believe AMS and FRA as well as other airports are also using similar technology.

On the US side, the APC kiosks are somewhat more minimal; they scan the passport and take your customs declaration but you still need to give the receipt to a CBP officer on the way out. (The same applies to Global Entry, though there the line is at least shorter.)
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:57 pm

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
First, these are not used in the EU, but in the UK and in Australia and New Zealand. Second, these counties use national identity cards. Third, the USA can not even manage to implement the real id requirements for driver's license. Forth, DHS is too busy pissing away money on future unless AITs.

At this point I would be happier if the airlines used automatic gates for boarding so to keep the gate lice at bay.

That said, welcome to FT.
Not sure about the UK & New Zealand, but Australia doesn't have a national identity card. I'd still be doubtful if the US would ever introduce it in the near future though.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
They're used in CDG and MAD as well.

Probability of seeing this sort of border control in the US = 0.
Reasons are obvious, it's a police state.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 5:49 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
us to have the APC which reduces the ques, similar to the UK, this is as well as GE
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
They're also used at FCO. The guy operating the gates appeared completely checked out of the whole thing as both doors were opening simultaneously. Anybody with any EU passport, irrespective of whether it was yours, could've got through the e-gates that day.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by globalfreedom
For those not familiar with these, they work using e-gates (electronic gates) that scan your biometric passport, check the database for any criminal records, confirm that the person standing in front matches the passport image and allows them in. quick and painless. ^

http://www.futuretravelexperience.co...n-vs-security/

This is different from the US current GE system where people have to be preapproved and I believe if I'm not wrong still talk to an officer. And some officers can be rude so after a long flight its best just to come in and go.

IMO these things machines are in fact safer because they do checks as opposed to officers who don't seem to verify (In Europe that is!) if someone is a criminal or not at the airport

Do you think that will happen or is that a dream that would never happen in the US?
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

As to your question.....my answer is "it's a solid maybe".
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by CKDGM
I have used the biometric gates at LHR and DUB; I haven't entered the Schengen area in a while, but I believe AMS and FRA as well as other airports are also using similar technology.
I've used these in FRA, but only to exit Schengen. Not sure if they are offered to enter Schengen as well.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:07 pm

First, these are not used in the EU, but in the UK and in Australia and New Zealand.
Germany is also still in the EU, and we have easyPass (which, at least for German citizens, is only a 1 step process, instead of 2 like in the Australian video).
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:13 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Reds2011
Not sure about the UK & New Zealand, but Australia doesn't have a national identity card. I'd still be doubtful if the US would ever introduce it in the near future though.
NZ also does not have a national identity card.

Departure smartgate is now a 1 step process at AKL. Not sure if the other airports and arrivals smartgate will also switch to 1 step process.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
The only way the US will ever have automated border control is if some politically connected business figures a way to make $$$ off the process. It will still come with a large complement of uniformed people standing around. One-on-one, automation still doesn't threaten and intimidate the way people can.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by chollie
One-on-one, automation still doesn't threaten and intimidate the way people can.
Someone has never watched a Robocop movie...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.