Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Will US airports ever have automated border control like most EU airports?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will US airports ever have automated border control like most EU airports?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Someone has never watched a Robocop movie...
IMHO, the original was a classic, but please don't give DHS any ideas.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by chollie
IMHO, the original was a classic, but please don't give DHS any ideas.
OCP I mean, DHS would probably try to go with the ED-209 model anyways.

Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
OCP I mean, DHS would probably try to go with the ED-209 model anyways.

Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
NZ also does not have a national identity card.
Not only that, but NZ gates are available to several other nationalities (including US, EU, and some Asian countries IIRC). Indeed, I used them on a US passport even though it meant not getting a stamp in my password

That said, I suspect the APC and GE kiosks will be the best we see for awhile... CBP likes to look you in the eye...
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
First, these are not used in the EU, but in the UK and in Australia and New Zealand. Second, these counties use national identity cards. Third, the USA can not even manage to implement the real id requirements for driver's license. Forth, DHS is too busy pissing away money on future unless AITs.

At this point I would be happier if the airlines used automatic gates for boarding so to keep the gate lice at bay.

That said, welcome to FT.
The U.K. is in the EU, and other EU countries also have automated passport control applicable to at least some EU citizens.

The U.K. doesn't have national ID cards good for international travel. Finland has national ID cards good for international travel within the EU and some other countries; and Finland has automated passport control machines too.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Despite the false premise in the OP and the over-charged political commentary (we've got OMNI for that), the US does have and has had for quite some time, the functional equivalent of an automated system for those who want to submit to the additional background requirements of Global Entry. That system is now available to some citizens of other countries, including the UK.

For the vast majority of GE users, the sole human contact is handing a slip of paper to a CBP Officer on the way out of the FIS. That contact could, of course be eliminated in favor of a gate with a scanner, but there is said to be some value in having a quick human interface and it, after all, doesn't slow down the process for the vast majority of travelers.

While there is a random chance of an inspection, there is that too in all of the automated systems in other countries.

The US has also implemented Automated Passport Control at many entry points and those are useable by returning USN's and by many nationals of other countries, including those on ESTA's which have been previously been accessed (some suggest they have had success on new ESTA's).

As others note, the US does not have national identity cards by design.

So, not really sure what OP is asking.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Someone has never watched a Robocop movie...
Actually we do. I watch Robocop movies.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The U.K. is in the EU, and other EU countries also have automated passport control applicable to at least some EU citizens.

The U.K. doesn't have national ID cards good for international travel. Finland has national ID cards good for international travel within the EU and some other countries; and Finland has automated passport control machines too.
Right, you still have show your passport at the gates. Before you get on the plane. When you landed in Europe. You have go through EU passport control. I have no problem with the officerrs. I told her that I am going to see my brother. She says okay. She scan my passport and then she stamped. When I went through the doors and they open the doors.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:51 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Often1
The US has also implemented Automated Passport Control at many entry points and those are useable by returning USN's and by many nationals of other countries, including those on ESTA's which have been previously been accessed (some suggest they have had success on new ESTA's).
This isn't really fully automated passport control, despite the name. You still have to see an officer and get questioned, and show your passport so your identity can be verified against the picture. The APC kiosks are really nothing more than a replacement for the paper customs declaration forms. With true automated passport control, a machine verifies that you are the holder of the passport, as in the Australian e-gates.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 5:04 am

Programs: Emirates, Thai, TK
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
First, these are not used in the EU, but in the UK and in Australia and New Zealand. Second, these counties use national identity cards. Third, the USA can not even manage to implement the real id requirements for driver's license. Forth, DHS is too busy pissing away money on future unless AITs.

At this point I would be happier if the airlines used automatic gates for boarding so to keep the gate lice at bay.

That said, welcome to FT.
Wrong, AMS is using automatic border control (Iris scan) already for over 15 years.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
I was hoping to turn this into a Robocop thread.

Guess I'll have to start my own.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
HEL has one-step automated gates, for all EU/EEA-citizens, + Ozzies, Kiwis, Koreans and Japanese. No need for silly slips and whatnot.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:23 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder

The U.K. doesn't have national ID cards at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.