Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA "continues to operate in disarray" with unvetted workers and lost credentials

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA "continues to operate in disarray" with unvetted workers and lost credentials

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
If I take a huge leap of faith and define "Runs their employees" as the equivalent of a cop "running" a warrant check during a traffic stop, the TSA would be essentially doing ~60,000 traffic stops every day. This assumes that all of the TSA data bases upon which people are "run" are updated at least daily in order to be accurate. Doing this 60,000 times per day just isn't happening and 900,000 per day is somewhere between lying and delusional.
I didn't speculate on exactly what eyecue meant by that statement so I asked.

Unfortunately eyecue has a habit of dropping in but not hanging around to discuss her statements.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I suspect a successful daily vetting means the badge reader didn't reject your badge, nothing more.

Even that would be highly suspect, given the hundreds of unaccounted-for credentials.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
I suspect a successful daily vetting means the badge reader didn't reject your badge, nothing more.

Even that would be highly suspect, given the hundreds of unaccounted-for credentials.
Even simpler, there are no warrants out for them.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...and doesn't take piggybacking into account...
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by eyecue
The article blurs the line between TSA and all employees. The issue is with all other employees. There is a lot of buck passing on this issue. TSA runs their employees every 24 hours.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
What do you mean by "TSA runs their employees every 24 hours"?

I assume TSA does the 5 year background check cycle common to some other agencies.
I'll second this question: What the heck do you mean by that?

I have serious doubts that TSA checks the identities of all 60,000 TSA employees against the no-fly list, terrorist watch lists, NCIC, or anything else, on a daily basis.

I doubt that the union even runs the entire 60,000 employee roster to check for unpaid dues more than twice a week.

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
...and doesn't take piggybacking into account...
Dude, that's totally against the rules! It's like, a fireable offense!

I wonder how many tens of thousands of TSOs do it on a daily basis?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
OK, what am I missing here?

If I book a plane ticket, supposedly my name is checked against a variety of databases to make sure I'm not listed somewhere.

But TSA can't check their own employees against these databases because they claim they don't have all the access they need?

No animus, but this is seriously the worst-run organization I have ever had the misfortune to encounter - and I am not even talking about the checkpoint experience.

HQ spokespeople who consistently post misleading or flat-out wrong information - I won't use a harsher and more accurate term, but Blogdad Bob clearly does not understand the meaning of truth. But you also had Ross, who sounded honest, who said the 'name game' was gone at airports - and it wasn't.

You've got HQ funding sign-up stations and advertising for Pre even as more and more airports are watering it down or refusing altogether to offer it (PHX, notably, but there are others).

You had John Pistole publicly apologizing to Mr. Sawyer and assuring him that no TSO would ever again manhandle and rupture a pax ostomy bag - yet a few months later, the same thing happened to Sawyer again at the SAME airport (fortunately the bag didn't burst the second time).

They are waaaaay worse than the IRS ever dreamed of being. The IRS has its faults, but there is a sense that it is a coherent organization with a sense of mission.

TSA - even at HQ, 'consistent inconsistency' abounds.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, what am I missing here?

If I book a plane ticket, supposedly my name is checked against a variety of databases to make sure I'm not listed somewhere.

But TSA can't check their own employees against these databases because they claim they don't have all the access they need?

No animus, but this is seriously the worst-run organization I have ever had the misfortune to encounter - and I am not even talking about the checkpoint experience.

HQ spokespeople who consistently post misleading or flat-out wrong information - I won't use a harsher and more accurate term, but Blogdad Bob clearly does not understand the meaning of truth. But you also had Ross, who sounded honest, who said the 'name game' was gone at airports - and it wasn't.

You've got HQ funding sign-up stations and advertising for Pre even as more and more airports are watering it down or refusing altogether to offer it (PHX, notably, but there are others).

You had John Pistole publicly apologizing to Mr. Sawyer and assuring him that no TSO would ever again manhandle and rupture a pax ostomy bag - yet a few months later, the same thing happened to Sawyer again at the SAME airport (fortunately the bag didn't burst the second time).

They are waaaaay worse than the IRS ever dreamed of being. The IRS has its faults, but there is a sense that it is a coherent organization with a sense of mission.

TSA - even at HQ, 'consistent inconsistency' abounds.
Part of what you are missing is that this isn't only about TSA employees. Part of what is being reported is that TSA doesn't have in place policies mandating that airport workers have ongoing security checks completed and there are questions about the initial checks and workers status to even have the authority to enter the sterile area.

Read the report carefully and you will realize that TSA is putting us all at risk.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: TSA
TSA employees are run through the watch list databases every 24 hours. The NCIC checks and local checks are conducted yearly and randomly also. Then there is the 10 year reinvestigation that includes EVERYTHING including financial status. My last 10 year review took 90 minutes with 2 examiners!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:48 am

TSA employees are run through the watch list databases every 24 hours. The NCIC checks and local checks are conducted yearly and randomly also. Then there is the 10 year reinvestigation that includes EVERYTHING including financial status. My last 10 year review took 90 minutes with 2 examiners!
Now the story changes.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:52 am

The issue with all other employees and buck passing is every SIDA employee at an airport has to have a background check done. TSA runs them and there WAS an issue with TSA checks not being allowed access to other agencies response codes to the query . So some of the employees that are not TSA could have been on a database for another agency and that agency did not have integration into TSA's system so the results were not valid. The issue has since been corrected.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Now the story changes.

How so?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I didn't speculate on exactly what eyecue meant by that statement so I asked.

Unfortunately eyecue has a habit of dropping in but not hanging around to discuss her statements.
IT does not take long to run a database checks on known members. If you use a database signature file and the file has not changed, then the result is null.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:25 am

How so?
First it was runs every employee every 24 hours. Now it's down to runs every employees through the watch list every 24 hours - as if that is going to find anything - and running the more important NCIC and local lists once yearly.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The issue with all other employees and buck passing is every SIDA employee at an airport has to have a background check done. TSA runs them and there WAS an issue with TSA checks not being allowed access to other agencies response codes to the query . So some of the employees that are not TSA could have been on a database for another agency and that agency did not have integration into TSA's system so the results were not valid. The issue has since been corrected.
You say TSA does background checks? Isn't that actually contracted out to government contractors who a few years back were found to be pencil whipping the checks? And in the reported story original and follow up checks are not being completed properly.

Now I agree TSA is responsible for oversight of background checks but like most other things TSA is responsible for TSA has failed in this endeavor also.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
And this is standard for all TSA employees regardless of whether they screen passengers or luggage? Like, the janitors at TSA HQ? Or did you mis-type, and mean to say that these checks are conducted on TSOs and screening personnel?

By the way, I'm going to guess that the information you just posted is most likely SSI, and by posting it on the internet you may have violated your employment agreement and could be subject to termination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.