Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Intercept article today on the no-fly list

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:13 am
Original Poster

https://theintercept.com/2016/01/21/how-a-young-american-escaped-the-no-fly-list/
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://theintercept.com/2016/01/21/...e-no-fly-list/

A clickable link to the story.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Notice that the article mentions that his lawyers told him to avoid flying to/via the UK. It seems like someone clued in the lawyers about something that indicates how the US uses the UK against otherwise free Americans and others.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know it is not to the same degree but the No Fly List and other such actions are the 21st Century example of WW2 internment camps.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:54 am
Suspended

I find it sort of interesting how I've yet to encounter any media reports about how legal name changes have been used by some people to circumvent this governmental clown show blacklisting otherwise free Americans.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:03 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I find it sort of interesting how I've yet to encounter any media reports about how legal name changes have been used by some people to circumvent this governmental clown show blacklisting otherwise free Americans.
What, federal gov't doesn't read the local newspaper?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ari
What, federal gov't doesn't read the local newspaper?

Some Americans may have legal ways to change their names (domestically and/or overseas) in jurisdictions where there is no "journal of record" type of publication requirement for all name changes.

Do officially registered sex changes also work as effectively as legal name changes to circumvent various USG blacklists' hitting otherwise free persons? No. And I say that even as I am not sure which jurisdictions (if any) have a journal of record type publication requirement for sex change registrations.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:35 am

Was it a good idea to include a photo of his boarding card?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:54 am
Suspended

But wiping out at least flight details and itinerary/ticket numbers/locating info (and the barcode too) is generally advisable if going to publicly disseminate boarding card images.

That said, the ticketed itinerary has already been flown.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:12 am

Given the dreaded SSSS on the boarding card, I don't there is much another person would want.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
So if someone buys a ticket today for travel in a few weeks and subsequently gets put on the no-fly list, not only do they not get to travel the airline also keeps all the money (it said he was told he would not receive a refund)?

The whole no-fly list thing is outrageous as it is, but that is more salt in the proverbial wound.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by makfan
So if someone buys a ticket today for travel in a few weeks and subsequently gets put on the no-fly list, not only do they not get to travel the airline also keeps all the money (it said he was told he would not receive a refund)?

The whole no-fly list thing is outrageous as it is, but that is more salt in the proverbial wound.
Indeed when the government prevents travel, the airlines then often claim there is not a right of refund/reuse of ticket's stored value.

The government loves to make life financially difficult for those it doesn't like for whatever reason. One way that it hits is in doing just that: granting airlines an opportunity to seize funds without delivering the service that the ticketed person is unable to benefit from due to governmental action.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 2:00 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
If you are American with no eligibility for another country's passport, would you really be able to get a new US passport with a new name without someone comparing your previous name to 'no-fly lists'?

Last edited by essxjay; Feb 2, 2016 at 7:10 pm
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:11 pm
Suspended

What I mentioned has worked for US citizens -- presumably majority of those being non-dual-citizens -- who would otherwise have been grounded by no-fly blacklist hits as was the case before name changes. Not all of them had/have US passports but some did/do.

Last edited by essxjay; Feb 2, 2016 at 7:10 pm
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:40 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Naming your children for survival during this day and age

Although kind of off topic, would future Muslim-American parents consider giving their American born children Anglicized first/middle/last names instead of traditionally Arabic names?

It is my understanding that in Islam, as long as the name is a "good name" then it should be fine. There is no rules to say that the name has to be Arabic (correct me if I am wrong).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.