Search

John Brennan litigation

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Legal cases brought by or defended for agencies of the federal government are done by United States Attorneys. They work for the Justice Department if I am not mistaken.

Brennan's $500 fine is costing taxpayers untold thousands of dollars in legal proceedings and I'm sure there are more important cases that need attention than this little dust up.

I hope he doesn't pay but that could lead to a levy, not being able to travel, and no telling what other retaliation TSA would try to throw at the guy.
It's the US DOJ indeed for whom the USAs and their staff work. This $500 fine will have cost the government many times that amount to defend and claim. I wouldn't be surprised if this litigation cost the US taxpayers more than $10k. My money down the drain again due to the TSA. The US DOJ spent money to try to protect the TSA's ability to intimidate peaceful passengers.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's the US DOJ indeed for whom the USAs and their staff work. This $500 fine will have cost the government many times that amount to defend and claim. I wouldn't be surprised if this litigation cost the US taxpayers more than $10k. My money down the drain again due to the TSA. The US DOJ spent money to try to protect the TSA's ability to intimidate peaceful passengers.
Just the government lawyers salaries for billable hours would exceed $10k many times over.
Old May 26, 2017, 1:24 am
Suspended

Just the government lawyers salaries for billable hours would exceed $10k many times over.
Most of our DOJ lawyer time expense is for people on fixed salaries. That money for backing up the TSA could have been used toward dealing with a violent criminal offender, but that isn't what that office decided to do. What a shame that money is wasted like this.
Old May 26, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I'd pay in cash with pennies. TSA HQ is a short walk from the Pentagon City Metro station.
Back in college, my friend used to do that for $5 parking fines on campus.
​​​​​​​
The trick was to put in 501 pennies so they had to count it twice.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most of our DOJ lawyer time expense is for people on fixed salaries. That money for backing up the TSA could have been used toward dealing with a violent criminal offender, but that isn't what that office decided to do. What a shame that money is wasted like this.
I realize that DOJ lawyers are salary but a way to figure how much this $500 fine will cost to collect is to take their annual salary/2087=hourly rate. Of course that only covers the lawyers cost and not the cost of the court and staff. Only takes a couple of hours of prep and court time to make this a fools errand. Every penny expended should come off the top of TSA's budget.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
seems like folks on both sides thought the principles involved are more important than the pesos.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Section 107
seems like folks on both sides thought the principles involved are more important than the pesos.
Just because Brennan acted like an idiot [from TSA perspective], it doesn't mean that TSA is obliged to do the same.

It was idiotic to pursue this.
Old May 26, 2017, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
Just because Brennan acted like an idiot [from TSA perspective], it doesn't mean that TSA is obliged to do the same.

It was idiotic to pursue this.
In this case it was US DOJ that decided to pour a ton of money into this for very little immediate return. Just goes to show you how petty the DOJ can be.
Old May 26, 2017, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In this case it was US DOJ that decided to pour a ton of money into this for very little immediate return. Just goes to show you how petty the DOJ can be.
What would the future return be?
Old May 26, 2017, 3:21 pm
Suspended

What would the future return be?
Getting submission from the public, for that is in keeping with a governmental desire to keep the people servile by whatever means it deems practicable to it without material risk of major, negative consequential loss of power arising for it from such pursuit.

To send a public message: we can go after you even if it costs us a hundred dollars to collect a dollar, so surrender now or we will make you pay up whatever we want you to pay up when we want you to pay up.
Old May 26, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
It is funny in a disturbing way how tortured the text of some of these pro-TSA rulings is to try to make TSA's behavior seem OK.

"TSA officers had to close down the checkpoint." Really? TSA chose to. If Brennan had set his clothes on fire or spilled a gallon of liquid on the floor or even shouted continuously at the top of his lungs, then the argument that TSA "had to close" might hold water.

And apparently his protest was not protected free speech because he wasn't holding a sign saying he was exercising free speech? That makes about as much sense as rulings (which I think exist) that claim you have to verbally assert your 5th Amendment rights to preserve the right to remain silent.

And vague TSA rules are OK because the penalties are civil not criminal? Really? So they can fine us into oblivion with impunity?
Old May 30, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by studentff
It is funny in a disturbing way how tortured the text of some of these pro-TSA rulings is to try to make TSA's behavior seem OK.

And vague TSA rules are OK because the penalties are civil not criminal? Really? So they can fine us into oblivion with impunity?
Your first comment speaks directly to my position in another thread about searches "away from screening checkpoints"...

as to your questions in the second statement: "not quite but close", "yes" and "almost." That is how the system works; plus, the burden on the government is much lower than with criminal law....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.