Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Do You Know Who I Am at Transportation Security Administration Airport Checkpoints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do You Know Who I Am at Transportation Security Administration Airport Checkpoints

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

How about a TSA DYKWIA?

Guy at SAN with wife and baby in tow got bent out of shape because he paid for TSA pre-check and the pre-check line was not open. Hey, I get it, it's a disappointment..but that 85 bucks is good for 5 years nationwide, I am sure you will get your yearly 17 dollars worth eventually.

But where he gets DYKWIA about it, other than his constant loud complaining in the line, is when he gets to the bins and demands pre-check treatment in the regular line. "Why do I still have to take off my shoes??? I paid for pre-check! Can't I leave my shoes on???" The TSA monkey said "No" and he got even angrier, asking what "recourse" he had.

None. He has none. Read the fine print with the big exclamation mark beside it on the website: "TSA incorporates unpredictable security measures throughout the airport and no passenger is guaranteed expedited screening."
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:07 pm
Suspended

I hate jerks, but I'm in favor of more DYKWIA behavior relating to TSA PRE line closures. The whole point of having TSA PRE is to be able to get to the airport later, but these closures wreak havoc on that ability. I didn't get TSA PRE (well, Global Entry) so I could get to the airport the same two hours early, speed through security, and then sit for 90+ minutes.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:43 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsk1973
I hate jerks, but I'm in favor of more DYKWIA behavior relating to TSA PRE line closures. The whole point of having TSA PRE is to be able to get to the airport later, but these closures wreak havoc on that ability. I didn't get TSA PRE (well, Global Entry) so I could get to the airport the same two hours early, speed through security, and then sit for 90+ minutes.
I agree, I've been pretty mad recently when they've been closed. I understand very early or very late closures, but not midday.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DrDiarrhea
How about a TSA DYKWIA?

Guy at SAN with wife and baby in tow got bent out of shape because he paid for TSA pre-check and the pre-check line was not open. Hey, I get it, it's a disappointment..but that 85 bucks is good for 5 years nationwide, I am sure you will get your yearly 17 dollars worth eventually.

But where he gets DYKWIA about it, other than his constant loud complaining in the line, is when he gets to the bins and demands pre-check treatment in the regular line. "Why do I still have to take off my shoes??? I paid for pre-check! Can't I leave my shoes on???" The TSA monkey said "No" and he got even angrier, asking what "recourse" he had.

None. He has none. Read the fine print with the big exclamation mark beside it on the website: "TSA incorporates unpredictable security measures throughout the airport and no passenger is guaranteed expedited screening."
The TSA doesn't incorporate unpredictable security measures, or any other kind of security measures. The TSA is employment program for people that couldn't get hired anywhere else, not a security agency. And what the passenger was asking for was legitimate and is implemented elsewhere. I left from PHL in August and got the Übermenschen lane, but went through a checkpoint that didn't have it because I was with a couple of people that didn't have it, and when I got to the boarding pass scribbler, he put a sticker on my boarding pass, and the clerks at the x-ray made me take my computer out of the bag, but let me keep my shoes on and go through the metal detector. Why can't they do that when they shut down the Übermenschen lane?

The notice that "TSA incorporates unpredictable security measures" means "TSA clerks are too lazy and stupid to learn and follow the rules". Not knowing what a NEXUS card is (for example), isn't an "unpredictable security measure," it's clerk stupidity.

And why does the TSA shut down the Übermenschen lane? It isn't like they don't have three times as many clerks as they need. They could pull clerks off the "standing around playing with phones" duty to staff the lane.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
The TSA doesn't incorporate unpredictable security measures, or any other kind of security measures. The TSA is employment program for people that couldn't get hired anywhere else, not a security agency. And what the passenger was asking for was legitimate and is implemented elsewhere. I left from PHL in August and got the Übermenschen lane, but went through a checkpoint that didn't have it because I was with a couple of people that didn't have it, and when I got to the boarding pass scribbler, he put a sticker on my boarding pass, and the clerks at the x-ray made me take my computer out of the bag, but let me keep my shoes on and go through the metal detector. Why can't they do that when they shut down the Übermenschen lane?

The notice that "TSA incorporates unpredictable security measures" means "TSA clerks are too lazy and stupid to learn and follow the rules". Not knowing what a NEXUS card is (for example), isn't an "unpredictable security measure," it's clerk stupidity.

And why does the TSA shut down the Übermenschen lane? It isn't like they don't have three times as many clerks as they need. They could pull clerks off the "standing around playing with phones" duty to staff the lane.
10/10
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by jsk1973
100% agreement with this. I have been to airports (looking at you FLL and SDF) during "normal" (say 7am to 7pm or so) airport hours where the PreCheck lane was closed and the regular security line was ridiculous. If you pay for a service it should be delivered. I understand I'm not guaranteed access and that I can be randomly de-selected on occasion (although it's never happened ) but that's not the same as not offering a paid for service at an appropriate level. I am seeing fewer lane closures these days and I haven't seen one when it's been really busy lately either. I hope TSA keeps it up!
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:04 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson

I had a ID screener ask for a driver's license because he wasn't familiar with a Passport Card. This was at JFK. I could understand Billings, MT but JFK, a busy international airport?

It is the number 2 item on the TSA accepted docs list - between Passport and Trusted Traveler cards.

https://www.tsa.gov/data/guide/IdentityMatters.html
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:47 pm

Well, as someone who is not part of an expedited screening program, it does sound strange to hear some complaining. Gosh once in a while you might have to go through security with the unwashed masses.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I agree with the above. No one should act like a jerk, but some constructivery pushback against a rediculous government agency is not a problem in my book. He should have been able to keep his shoes on.

to his method and attitude, but the TSA is a mismanaged agency that lives up to why government should not be in the business of airport security, or security theater as it currently is...

A private sector corporation would be held to a much higher standard. With the throngs of Smurfs standing around at my home airport of MCO, I dare them to close the PRE line during regular hours.

BWI seems really bad about closing PRE...
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I agree with the above. No one should act like a jerk, but some constructivery pushback against a rediculous government agency is not a problem in my book. He should have been able to keep his shoes on.

to his method and attitude, but the TSA is a mismanaged agency that lives up to why government should not be in the business of airport security, or security theater as it currently is...

A private sector corporation would be held to a much higher standard. With the throngs of Smurfs standing around at my home airport of MCO, I dare them to close the PRE line during regular hours.

Regular line, regular rules. How will they adapt procedures for people with special access when going through the regular line? It's not reasonable. Complain to the government if you think the closures are unreasonable.

TSA is trying. I just completed a two segment roundtrip. I didn't have to take off belt or shoes at all. Just metal detector. I don't have Pre Check or Global Entry but it was a good experience going through security.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy

I do not agree that the private sector would do a better job. I can think of a few functions of government that have privatized that are now worse. Prisons, for one.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Tizzette
I do not agree that the private sector would do a better job. I can think of a few functions of government that have privatized that are now worse. Prisons, for one.
Worse for whom? Taxpayers or prisoners?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Worse for whom? Taxpayers or prisoners?
No savings for taxpayers, worse food and fewer guards for prisoners...the only way to make a profit in some businesses is cutting corners.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
Originally Posted by krlcomm
100% agreement with this. I have been to airports (looking at you FLL and SDF) during "normal" (say 7am to 7pm or so) airport hours where the PreCheck lane was closed and the regular security line was ridiculous. If you pay for a service it should be delivered. I understand I'm not guaranteed access and that I can be randomly de-selected on occasion (although it's never happened ) but that's not the same as not offering a paid for service at an appropriate level. I am seeing fewer lane closures these days and I haven't seen one when it's been really busy lately either. I hope TSA keeps it up!
RSW all the time
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
http://abcnews.go.com/US/tsa-directo...ry?id=31458476

"undercover investigators were able to smuggle mock explosives or banned weapons through checkpoints in 95 percent of trials."

"It found that TSA agents failed 67 out of 70 tests, with Red Team members repeatedly able to get potential weapons through checkpoints, according to officials briefed on the report.

In one case, agents failed to detect a fake explosive taped to an agent’s back, even after performing a pat down that was prompted after the agent set off the magnetometer alarm, according to officials briefed on the report."

You don't think they'll do better than 3/70?

end of story, not really relevant to the thread anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.