Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Do You Know Who I Am at Transportation Security Administration Airport Checkpoints

Do You Know Who I Am at Transportation Security Administration Airport Checkpoints

Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I agree with the above. No one should act like a jerk, but some constructivery pushback against a rediculous government agency is not a problem in my book. He should have been able to keep his shoes on.

to his method and attitude, but the TSA is a mismanaged agency that lives up to why government should not be in the business of airport security, or security theater as it currently is...

A private sector corporation would be held to a much higher standard. With the throngs of Smurfs standing around at my home airport of MCO, I dare them to close the PRE line during regular hours.

BWI seems really bad about closing PRE...
Concourse D PreCheck is closed about 3/4 of the time, I've found. It's absurd.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
http://abcnews.go.com/US/tsa-directo...ry?id=31458476

"undercover investigators were able to smuggle mock explosives or banned weapons through checkpoints in 95 percent of trials."

"It found that TSA agents failed 67 out of 70 tests, with Red Team members repeatedly able to get potential weapons through checkpoints, according to officials briefed on the report.

In one case, agents failed to detect a fake explosive taped to an agents back, even after performing a pat down that was prompted after the agent set off the magnetometer alarm, according to officials briefed on the report."

You don't think they'll do better than 3/70?

end of story, not really relevant to the thread anyway.
Old news.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by zitsky
Regular line, regular rules. How will they adapt procedures for people with special access when going through the regular line? It's not reasonable.
Not only is it reasonable, it's already in place. MANY airports do have a (reduced) method for precheck in regular lines. If you have precheck on your BP and the precheck line is closed (or doesn't exist) then they give you a card to show the screeners. You walk through the regular line, but can keep on your shoes and light jacket. You can use the WTMD (if available) instead of the nude-o-scope. You still have to take out your laptop and liquids bag though.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Howste
You still have to take out your laptop and liquids bag though.
Don't worry. Someone will be along to complain about that.

Thanks for the correction.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Regular line, regular rules. How will they adapt procedures for people with special access when going through the regular line? It's not reasonable.
Like I said above, they can put a sticker on your boarding pass, the way they put one on my boarding pass at PHL. Yeesh.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Howste
Not only is it reasonable, it's already in place. MANY airports do have a (reduced) method for precheck in regular lines. If you have precheck on your BP and the precheck line is closed (or doesn't exist) then they give you a card to show the screeners. You walk through the regular line, but can keep on your shoes and light jacket. You can use the WTMD (if available) instead of the nude-o-scope. You still have to take out your laptop and liquids bag though.
This has been my experience as well. Thus the guy in the OP had a case. I still do not condone acting like a jerk though....
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Tizzette
No savings for taxpayers, worse food and fewer guards for prisoners...the only way to make a profit in some businesses is cutting corners.
Ahhhh. Poor prisoner has to eat poor food. How horrible..

Prisons should be hell on earth in an effort to deter people from going... It is sad when convicted criminals are treated better than the homeless...
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Don't worry. Someone will be along to complain about that.

Thanks for the correction.
No they won't. It makes the line move faster. Everybody should get it, true, but if people in the same line as everybody else go through faster, it makes the line faster for everybody.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Like I said above, they can put a sticker on your boarding pass, the way they put one on my boarding pass at PHL. Yeesh.
I had a similar experience, also at PHL, except I was using a mobile BP so they (thankfully) did not put a sticker on my phone. And then when I got to the front of the line, they asked to see my BP....which was on my phone, in my bag, inside the x-ray machine.

TDC then just yelled over that I was precheck and I was able to waltz through the WTMD with my shoes, jacket, etc. still on.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by jsk1973
I hate jerks, but I'm in favor of more DYKWIA behavior relating to TSA PRE line closures. The whole point of having TSA PRE is to be able to get to the airport later, but these closures wreak havoc on that ability. I didn't get TSA PRE (well, Global Entry) so I could get to the airport the same two hours early, speed through security, and then sit for 90+ minutes.
Agree. At EWR even at 2 in the afternoon the precheck lane is never open (I've had to wait 15+ minutes a couple times to get through security at EWR) and I flew out at 3 in the afternoon the Sunday of thanksgiving weekend from MIA and precheck was closed there that day.

Fortunately everytime precheck has been closed I have been allowed to go through the WMD (I wear an insulin pump and CGM that can't be worn through the nude-o-scope and would require a hand pat down which is something else I want to avoid). Another thing that irritates me is when the precheck lines are long and you are behind a lot of people who got it on their boarding pass at random and are clueless. I didn't go through the background check and pay that money for a TTN to get behind a lot of people who are clueless and didn't pay anything and holding up the line.

I wish they would limit precheck to those who have a TTN and if the precheck lane is closed shuffle the people with precheck on their boarding pass to the front of the line and allow shoes to remain on and use the WMD
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:37 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver

Prisons should be hell on earth in an effort to deter people from going... It is sad when convicted criminals are treated better than the homeless...
Getting into That Omni Territory, but:

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...mark/30080211/

There's food that is not particularly appetizing but meets daily nutritional requirements and is generally safe and suitable for human consumption, and then there the prison food vendor contracts that get cancelled early because of too many maggots, which are generally not seen as an acceptable source of protein in a typical diet.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:49 pm
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
n/m folks delete me.

Last edited by The BNA Gentleman; Jan 13, 2016 at 10:50 pm Reason: n/m
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Regular line, regular rules. How will they adapt procedures for people with special access when going through the regular line? It's not reasonable. Complain to the government if you think the closures are unreasonable.
In many airports, they do. I get a magical card that lets me keep my shoes on and sends me through the metal detector instead of the cancer-causing nudiscope.

TSA is trying.
Very.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

The criminal companies that bribe legislators to get the contracts to run prisons put clauses in the contract that they are guaranteed some number of prisoners. This is not exactly good for civil rights (nor for taxpayers saving money).
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Can we get away from how to run prisons and back to DYKWIA stories?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.