Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Customs Agent: Where did you buy that XXXXX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Your camera serial number and date taken is on the medata of any pictures taken..

You may also take pictures of your equipment, jewelry or whatever..

iPad will show it very quick, if you get your back against a wall .
Old Jan 9, 2016, 4:31 pm

Like gifts from 25-30 Years ago ? Plus how many take pictures of their "gifts"? Not me.

Last edited by essxjay; Feb 2, 2016 at 8:53 pm
Old Jan 10, 2016, 2:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Blogndog
In fact, the border search exemption -- which allows warrantless (but not suspicionless) searches at the border, represents the entire, complete and exhaustive list of Constitutional rights that are not in force at the border.
Suspicionless searches of luggage are permitted at the border. Suspicionless pat downs, body searches, etc. are not.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 2:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by satman40
iPad will show it very quick, if you get your back against a wall .
If you turn on your iPad and enter the password and show it to a CBP officer so that he can see a receipt/photo, then you may end up with a CBP officer searching the entire contents of your iPad. I keep my devices off and/or password locked when I'm around CBP officers.

Last edited by jphripjah; Jan 10, 2016 at 2:49 am
Old Jan 10, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jphripjah
If you turn on your iPad and enter the password and show it to a CBP officer so that he can see a receipt/photo, then you may end up with a CBP officer searching the entire contents of your iPad. I keep my devices off and/or password locked when I'm around CBP officers.
Hehehe.......if a CBP officer wants to search my iPad he'll get bored real quick. Let's see....my Internet favorites and stored books are psychology, history, and travel related. My photography is mostly my cats and assorted travel pictures. My music is everything from country to classic. Boring.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 8:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Best to use encryption and otherwise locking devices/files, even if you are convinced there is nothing incriminating on your devices. People who suspect others tend to imagine suspicious activity even where there is no suspicious criminal activity. Confirmation bias.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Suspicionless searches of luggage are permitted at the border. Suspicionless pat downs, body searches, etc. are not.
If you're an American citizen without outstanding warrants, they can't detain you indefinitely, although they can hold you for hours (how many is unknown) with restricted access to food, water and toilets and no access to a phone.

They can, however, 'detain' your electronic devices for further investigation - and they can confiscate anything that appears relatively new, could have been purchased overseas, and that you do not have a receipt for.

Last edited by chollie; Jan 10, 2016 at 5:45 pm
Old Jan 10, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium

Me: I didn't buy it, it was a gift from your mom. After I rode that ... of hers all night a few weeks ago.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
If you're an American citizen without outstanding warrants, they can't detain you indefinitely, although they can hold you for hours (how many is unknown) without restricted access to food, water and toilets.

They can, however, 'detain' your electronic devices for further investigation -
They can only do that with reasonable suspicion supported by articulable facts, at least in the Ninth Circuit. I've had them threaten to seize my phone and laptop twice, and both times they took my devices out of the bags and said "We're seizing these."

They were bluffing both times, it's a tactic they use to get people to answer questions/reveal passwords.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by StarFeat
Fortunately I have never been questioned by the CBP concerning a specific item in my possession on where I bought the stuff such as my laptop

My aunt (Canadian Citizen); however, had a difficult time with the YYC CBSA recently upon returning home from Vegas. She was wearing a gold bracelet she purchased at the Tiffany store in Edmonton (for about $1,000 CDN) where she had already paid all applicable taxes when she bought it. She said a customs agent pestered her on why she didn't declare it?

I know certain items can be registered with customs. But AFAIK those items would need to contain a serial number.
My Canadian friends like to joke that USCBP thinks their job is to protect Americans from "the terrorists" but CBSA thinks their job is to protect the Bay's bottom line.

Even prior to 9/11 and the creation of DHS/CBP, US Customs was more interested in finding drugs and smuggled cash than collecting duty--unless it was really expensive (think $50k watch, not $2k camera), it went down the road.

At least for registering things with USCBP, although most things one would register on a 4457 have serial numbers (e.g. laptops, cameras, electronics), it's not a requirement. Somewhere I have a 4457 for a pre-1968 shotgun with no serial number. CBP loved seeing that cross the border. (No, Mr. GS-7 city kid just back from Glynco, it is not illegal to own a gun without a serial number, and no, you should not attempt to arrest me for it.)

When I worked for CBP the only things I ever saw 4457s for were firearms. Even then, a lot of hunters just brought the sales invoice. The cheapest place to buy nearly any expensive item is the US, so there's no motive to buy high-ticket items overseas like there used to be. Firearms, of course, are a different story since they're illegal to import without a license. Extremely expensive equipment (usually photo/video gear) moved on a Carnet.

Last edited by essxjay; Jan 13, 2016 at 2:16 pm Reason: reference to deleted post
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:12 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime)
Driving to Vancouver, Canada from Seattle, WA with some fellow attendees of a hacker conference in late 1999:
Canadian Border Agent: "Gentlemen, do you have any drugs, firearms, or dangerous materials in the vehicle?"
My (idiot) friend, after leaning towards the officer: <snif> "Yeah, sure, whadda ya need?"
... add another 4 hours delay to the trip for being smart-asses. Good story now, but sucked at the time.

Jake
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:26 am

funny stuff

Last edited by essxjay; Jan 13, 2016 at 2:16 pm Reason: unnecessary wholesale quote
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: AA, AS
Originally Posted by chollie
If you're an American citizen without outstanding warrants, they can't detain you indefinitely, although they can hold you for hours (how many is unknown) with restricted access to food, water and toilets and no access to a phone.

They can, however, 'detain' your electronic devices for further investigation - and they can confiscate anything that appears relatively new, could have been purchased overseas, and that you do not have a receipt for.
Which is why I never cross the border with a full bladder.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by jlmcp
Driving to Vancouver, Canada from Seattle, WA with some fellow attendees of a hacker conference in late 1999:
Canadian Border Agent: "Gentlemen, do you have any drugs, firearms, or dangerous materials in the vehicle?"
My (idiot) friend, after leaning towards the officer: <snif> "Yeah, sure, whadda ya need?"
... add another 4 hours delay to the trip for being smart-asses. Good story now, but sucked at the time.
That happened to me on a drive to Calgary. CBA asked if we had any explosives. One of my passengers yells "wait"! Digs though his coat and pulls out a single lint-covered firecracker that was probably several years old. Four hour car search.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:37 pm

Can't stop giggling. Thanks for the laugh.

Last edited by essxjay; Jan 13, 2016 at 2:16 pm Reason: unnecessary wholesale quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.