Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grounding 91 million citizens

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by GUWonder
You really hate the federalist system set up by the Founding Fathers of the US Constitution? I'm asking because our constitutional system was set up with the constituent states of the USA having their own powers too.
The Founding Fathers are rolling in their graves of what has become of a great nation that they founded.

Sounds like it's not working for you either. Good luck with your Driver's License issue.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
The Founding Fathers are rolling in their graves of what has become of a great nation that they founded.

Sounds like it's not working for you either. Good luck with your Driver's License issue.
What driving license issue? I legally have various US state-issued IDs and am legally licensed to drive in the US nearly always since about well before I turned 18 years of age. The situation I mentioned may have had something to do with the state and federal government getting to close to one another in imperfect ways, but even that isn't always clear.

I was just providing myself as an example of a US citizen who is still in the working years and yet had past ID issues due to the changing "security" requirements at the time -- issues such that it could have messed up with my right to travel and my right to vote in US federal and state elections. I'm not sure a national ID would have been the magic solution to that past situation, as having just national ID as an American is not sufficient for being able to vote in elections for state and federal offices.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 4, 2016 at 1:47 pm
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
What driving license issue? I legally have various US state-issued IDs and am legally licensed to drive in the US.
Correction. You said "I had trouble getting US-state and US-federal-government issued ID".

Are you sure your passport wasn't revoked for owing back taxes of more than $50,000? I read something about that on the interweb.

And I'm still waiting to hear who issued your permit to carry.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Correction. You said "I had trouble getting US-state and US-federal-government issued ID".

Are you sure your passport wasn't revoked for owing back taxes of more than $50,000? I read something about that on the interweb.

And I'm still waiting to hear who issued your permit to carry.
Past vs present. Reading is fundamental, as is reading the difference.

I am sure passport revocation for $50,000+ of IRS "back taxes" has never hit me -- it hasn't hit anybody yet. That approach has never been legally enforceable in the US during my lifetime, and it still isn't legally enforceable yet.

You seem to be waiting on a lot of things. Just don't hold your breath waiting.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:00 pm

You seem to be waiting on a lot of things
Like what?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by televisor
From what date are TSA likely to actually enforce any ID changes? (I've heard that the REAL ID extensions expire Jan 10th, but at least CA has been granted another extension until October.)

Also, would the enforcement be based on the ID, or the state? So would pre REAL ID id's/licences be accepted if the state now issues REAL ID compliant id's/licences?

I wonder if I'd therefore have a more difficult time travelling on my new CA State ID than on my British passport in future? (As a foreigner I'm pretty much required to carry my passport anywhere I go, but I'm hoping to at least be able to keep it in my bags instead of carrying it in my hand every time I go through the TSA.)
MN was denied an extension but told that there would be a 120 day grace period.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'll call Al Franken and get this sorted out.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To be followed by another grace period. For as long as Franken and Klobuchar want it.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
When people are added to the voter rolls just by getting a driver's license the opportunity for non-citizens to illegally vote grows.

I, for one, do not understand how showing any kind of ID or license to TSA improves the security posture one iota. However, I think to cast a vote in any election, local or national, a persons identity and right to vote should be determined.
And a voter ID requirement will do exactly what about this??
Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I wonder if these elderly and minority people don't draw SSA or other government benefits and if they do just how they accomplished this feat without having ID?
ID? I recall no ID request from either Social Security nor Medicare when my wife got benefits, although we had to provide was her naturalization certificate as she was still on their records as a resident alien (as she had been when her social security number had originally been issued.)
Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm more concerned about a US citizen like myself being deprived (by my government)!of a chance to vote and to fly due to ID than I am of a non-US person committing a violation of law that is punishable by my government. I find there to be no good reason why a law-abiding individual like myself should be made to lose my rights due to criminals. It makes no sense to punish non-criminals for criminal acts.
I think the issue is about weeding out the voters that don't care as much as the tea party types like the radicals rather than the moderates.

I even had one campaign admit it--it was a polling call but of course they're interested in whether you're going to vote before they find out how you plan to vote. Only it was about the primary--and here we have a caucus rather than a primary. When asked if I was going to participate I told him I don't do caucuses, when are they going to have a proper primary? Apparently it's written into state law and that's how the radicals like it so they block reform efforts.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just some quick thoughts:

Federal ID card. Tied to your Social Security Number. Do away with the patchwork of 50 different state ID's/DL's.

Then you can have endorsements on it such as Drivers license, any hunting/firearm licenses/permits, residency/citizenship status. Make it mandatory just like the ACA and everyone will have to comply.
I never thought of it that way before but that makes sense.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 6:04 pm

Just some quick thoughts:

Federal ID card. Tied to your Social Security Number. Do away with the patchwork of 50 different state ID's/DL's.

Then you can have endorsements on it such as Drivers license, any hunting/firearm licenses/permits, residency/citizenship status. Make it mandatory just like the ACA and everyone will have to comply.
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I never thought of it that way before but that makes sense.
Because nothing ever goes wrong when citizens of a country have to carry around documentation of their status as citizens. Right.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:05 am

Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
ID? I recall no ID request from either Social Security nor Medicare when my wife got benefits, although we had to provide was her naturalization certificate as she was still on their records as a resident alien (as she had been when her social security number had originally been issued.)
Some elderly also put others in charge of their affairs (legally or unofficially). If a DL or passport lapses because the elder is no longer driving or travelling, there's not necessarily a reason to get it renewed - and given the tighter requirements, it can be very difficult and time-consuming.

There was a time, not that long ago, when US school children were taught that the most chilling words you could hear were "papers, please" and the most un-American thing you could imagine was a land where you were not free to roam as you wished - you had to have your papers and a reason that would satisfy any government thug at any time.

Welcome to the USA, 2016.

Those who bleat about a national ID have forgotten their history. A national ID will be used for all the wrong reasons and will do nothing to simplify things or address the issues it claims it will solve.

To steal an argument from the 2nd Amendment folks: a national ID will just place a burden on honest folks, enrich corrupt government contractors at the expense of the taxpayers, and do nothing to keep fake IDs out of the hands of criminals. It will further government harassment and monitoring of innocent civilians while doing little or nothing about bad guys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.