Wiki Posts
Search

Soft cheese at BRU

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2015, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Soft cheese at BRU

I guess I should have been better prepared, but into the bin went the "soft cheeses" at BRU (Brussels) security.

I had gone through ZRH with no problems, here the local TSA told me that "if we can press down with a finger on it, it's soft". I later noticed their website declared that "runny" cheeses are prohibited.

I really wish that at some point people will be wiling to assume responsibility for doing away with some of these stupid, archaic rules. Soft cheese is not OK, but a litre of liquid is OK ? (assuming I carry it in ten 100 ml bottles). Perhaps I should be grateful we are still allowed to wear shoes.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: AA exp, Marriott Amb
What a completely arbitrary way to enforce the rule. Then again I had a TSA agent tell me that I could keep the container of hummus I was bringing on board because he liked oatmeal...
Old Dec 26, 2015, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by melkor
What a completely arbitrary way to enforce the rule. Then again I had a TSA agent tell me that I could keep the container of hummus I was bringing on board because he liked oatmeal...
I'm sure the cheese was a nice addition to his Boxing Day dinner.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I'm sure the cheese was a nice addition to his Boxing Day dinner.
They must be feasting on soft cheese, peanut butter and mustard sandwiches for years.....

I posted not to rant (well, just a little bit....) but to have something googleable for "soft cheese brussels airport security" if someone looks.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by dand99
I guess I should have been better prepared, but into the bin went the "soft cheeses" at BRU (Brussels) security.

I had gone through ZRH with no problems, here the local TSA told me that "if we can press down with a finger on it, it's soft". I later noticed their website declared that "runny" cheeses are prohibited.

I really wish that at some point people will be wiling to assume responsibility for doing away with some of these stupid, archaic rules. Soft cheese is not OK, but a litre of liquid is OK ? (assuming I carry it in ten 100 ml bottles). Perhaps I should be grateful we are still allowed to wear shoes.
Yet, here in the states at least, cheesecake is allowed but not a brick of cream cheese; a pecan pie is allowed but not a stick of butter, or 1/2 cup of molasses, both of which are ingredients in pecan pie.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: Delta, United
It is quite arbitrary, in BOS one can bring cannolis from Mike's or Maria's through.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
It is quite arbitrary, in BOS one can bring cannolis from Mike's or Maria's through.
You have to leave the gun, though.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:22 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
BRU (is a foreign location, so no [USA] TSA). The rules for US customs CBP, is cheese aged over 6 months is OK--but this a separate issue from airplane SECURITY.
I once had a "promotional" 1.5" Swiss army knife (blade was less than 1"), it cleared (USA) TSA lots of times, even ZRH (Switzerland) several times--BUT, once in ZRH they "detected" it and confiscated it. The point on my ball point pen is probably more of a weapon than that knife.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Intersting, I never knew that about the cheese. I just knew I got waved on whenever I said "cheddar".

From a security point of view - I guess you can threaten someone with Gorgonzola

Originally Posted by nrr
BRU (is a foreign location, so no [USA] TSA). The rules for US customs CBP, is cheese aged over 6 months is OK--but this a separate issue from airplane SECURITY.
I once had a "promotional" 1.5" Swiss army knife (blade was less than 1"), it cleared (USA) TSA lots of times, even ZRH (Switzerland) several times--BUT, once in ZRH they "detected" it and confiscated it. The point on my ball point pen is probably more of a weapon than that knife.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by dand99
Intersting, I never knew that about the cheese. I just knew I got waved on whenever I said "cheddar".

From a security point of view - I guess you can threaten someone with Gorgonzola
One could probably take over a flight with Serra da Estrella - definitely a (delicious) biological weapon, that one!
Old Jan 1, 2016, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Only a question of time until someone mentions it, so I will....

Re Crews refusing to fly with Durian on board. Wonder if the TSA would OK Durian...

One example: http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_d...383&con_type=1
(I love the unrelated quote from security when confiscating another item- "it could be melted down into a liquid".
What next ?? "If I toss this item in a blender with some milk I could make a liquid - sorry, have to take it off you")
Old Jan 1, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by nrr
Incorrect: most non-liquid cheeses are allowed, some types of cheeses are only allowed depending on the country of origin, there is no 6 month rule:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:58 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by televisor
Incorrect: most non-liquid cheeses are allowed, some types of cheeses are only allowed depending on the country of origin, there is no 6 month rule:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use
There was ONCE a 6 month rule, based on pasturization issues (when I last checked this issue back in the 60's)--but rules change over time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.